Night mission servers? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
BonerCat

Question Night mission servers?

Hey, i was wondering if there are any servers that regularly host night missions?
I couldn't find any
Thanks!

Maps and others:
Persian Gulf, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430
BonerCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #2
pmiceli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonerCat View Post
Hey, i was wondering if there are any servers that regularly host night missions?
I couldn't find any
Thanks!
Check all the empty ones.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
QuiGon
Veteran

Unfortunately night missions don't seem very popular in MP

I would love to have more night missions on the public servers (especially on Blue Flag!), but people seem to be unable to cope with night operations.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
counter25

I would also love to see random times and weather on servers like blueflag. To me flying in not always sunny conditions is a major part of the immersion.
counter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
ElementLT

We have nite missions running on our server every Thursday and they appear to be very popular with our pilots.

Georgia Reign - PvE Multiplayer Public Server

Live Map and Real-Time Stats | Server IP: 136.55.80.214:10308 | Join Our Discord
Combair Air Patrol - Tasked Helo Missions - A2G Strikes - CSAR - And Tons More!!!
ElementLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:56 PM   #6
pmiceli

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Unfortunately night missions don't seem very popular in MP

I would love to have more night missions on the public servers (especially on Blue Flag!), but people seem to be unable to cope with night operations.
I don't do night in DCS for a several reasons.

1. Night in VR looks horrible

2. Night in DCS is very poorly done. Light sources do not radiate light. They behave more like a paintbrush than a beam of light. The end result is too dark overall.

3. Night with clouds looks nothing like reality. Clouds are vividly white with pitch black above, something I never saw in 33 years flying real airplanes.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiceli View Post
I don't do night in DCS for a several reasons.

1. Night in VR looks horrible

2. Night in DCS is very poorly done. Light sources do not radiate light. They behave more like a paintbrush than a beam of light. The end result is too dark overall.

3. Night with clouds looks nothing like reality. Clouds are vividly white with pitch black above, something I never saw in 33 years flying real airplanes.
1 sounds like it might be a gamma issue and 2 can be solved with more moon, as the darkness of the night in DCS heavily depends on moonshine. Clouds do look weird at night, but both lighing and clouds are being worked on atm.

But I don't like night flying for its looks, but for the totally different experience in combat. Especially in moonless nights you have to use a lot of IFR procedures, work with NVGs and can use things like IR-pointers. Visibility is totally different which makes A/A WVR combat totally different, strikers can sneak by better, you need to pay attention to afterburner and flare usage and a lot of othger small differences. That's why I would love to have more night flying in MP, not because of how it looks visually.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:03 AM   #8
pmiceli

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
1 sounds like it might be a gamma issue and 2 can be solved with more moon, as the darkness of the night in DCS heavily depends on moonshine. Clouds do look weird at night, but both lighing and clouds are being worked on atm.

But I don't like night flying for its looks, but for the totally different experience in combat. Especially in moonless nights you have to use a lot of IFR procedures, work with NVGs and can use things like IR-pointers. Visibility is totally different which makes A/A WVR combat totally different, strikers can sneak by better, you need to pay attention to afterburner and flare usage and a lot of othger small differences. That's why I would love to have more night flying in MP, not because of how it looks visually.
Night is now much better after the update but the clouds are still horrible.

I have far too much real world flight time to ever enjoy anything about the ugly that is DCS VR at night, although it is getting better. Clear nights are probably playable now but nothing with clouds.