How to get in close?

moggel

SPOILER ALERT! Details about the F-18 Caucasus campaign!

Finally feel confident enough in the Hornet to run through the Caucasus F-18 campaign but I'm having trouble getting past the fighter sweep mission (I think it's mission four).

What happens is when I continue east, after the first furball at the coast, I engage a four-ship of Mig-25s but I find it extremely difficult to get in close enough for the Sparrows to be useful. The Migs fire their R40s and I can dodge some of them but not all it seems.

What's good tactics for closing in with bandits that have better range?

Any tips would be appreciated

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

After the first engagement, make sure that you regroup with your flight. That should increase your chances a lot. In general, avoid being dragged into a fight away from friendly forces. Try to lure them closer to your CAP flight, near the carrier, for example.

The R-40 typically has more range than the AIM-7, so you're going to have to find a way to offset that. Grab some altitude and airspeed before you engage, since that'll increase the effective range of your AIM-7. The bandits will have to climb in order to engage you and sacrifice airspeed while doing so. Your high kinetic and potential energy, coupled with the thinner air will help you get the most out of your missiles.

And don't fixate on your target. Use your eyes and the SA page to maintain situational awareness of all threats, even if you're committed to one. Prioritize your survival.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

After the first engagement, make sure that you regroup with your flight. That should increase your chances a lot. In general, avoid being dragged into a fight away from friendly forces. Try to lure them closer to your CAP flight, near the carrier, for example.

The R-40 typically has more range than the AIM-7, so you're going to have to find a way to offset that. Grab some altitude and airspeed before you engage, since that'll increase the effective range of your AIM-7. The bandits will have to climb in order to engage you and sacrifice airspeed while doing so. Your high kinetic and potential energy, coupled with the thinner air will help you get the most out of your missiles.

And don't fixate on your target. Use your eyes and the SA page to maintain situational awareness of all threats, even if you're committed to one. Prioritize your survival.

Sounds like good advice.

I was thinking maybe swarming the bandits with Sparrows at medium range just to try and keep the bad guys busy dodging my missiles while me and the AI dudes/dudettes move in. The problem is I have no way to convey such a plan to my silicon-based colleagues. There's plenty of areas for improvement left in the AI deparment ...

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

Sounds like good advice.

I was thinking maybe swarming the bandits with Sparrows at medium range just to try and keep the bad guys busy dodging my missiles while me and the AI dudes/dudettes move in. The problem is I have no way to convey such a plan to my silicon-based colleagues. There's plenty of areas for improvement left in the AI deparment ...

Agree for the AI, but I don't think that's a solid tactic either. You don't want to run out of missiles, in case more bandits show up. Plus, if you fire too early, you'll just waste a missile and the bandits won't really have to do much to avoid it. If you fire within a good range, might as well go for the kill. Also, try cranking (fire and maneuver to keep the bandit at the edge of your radar, thereby reducing closure rate). I'm pretty sure the AI will help as well, if you give an "Engage Bandits" or "Cover Me" command.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Here's how I did it: wiped out the first wave of migs, then followed waypoints at under 500 alt and high speed. Caught wind of the 25s and lured them out to sea. It's possible they didnt see me and were going that way anyways. At any rate I pulled them to the f14s and the rest of my f18 flight. Once the Phoenix missiles were in the air I turned hard and pitched up to engage. Migs got destroyed in the first wave of missiles.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Agree for the AI, but I don't think that's a solid tactic either. You don't want to run out of missiles, in case more bandits show up. Plus, if you fire too early, you'll just waste a missile and the bandits won't really have to do much to avoid it. If you fire within a good range, might as well go for the kill. Also, try cranking (fire and maneuver to keep the bandit at the edge of your radar, thereby reducing closure rate). I'm pretty sure the AI will help as well, if you give an "Engage Bandits" or "Cover Me" command.

Hm. I was hoping to increase closure speed to get into firing range faster but I'll try your proposed tactic. Thanks!

I am not familiar with this campaign, but one of the tricks I like to use with the AI is making them orbit behind me while I engage alone.

This makes the enemy focus on me. I'll fly toward them with no other goal than to get them to launch missiles, then I'll immediately turn around and tell my wingmen to engage. Whatever bandit engages you should be closest to your wingmen and also should be more focused on shooting you as you run than dodging their missiles.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Hm. I was hoping to increase closure speed to get into firing range faster but I'll try your proposed tactic. Thanks!

Against MiG-25s (and -31s), there's not usually a need to increase closure speed. They're quite fast, they'll do the closing for you. All you need to do is survive, and going nose-on to them is about the worst way you can do that. Both the -25 and -31 were designed to counter high altitude high speed bombers, so charging strait at them at high altitude and high speed plays right into their strengths and you will die. Stay offset to their approach azimuth, alternating between cranking and beaming, and switch up the direction of your offset when you can to spoil their longer ranged missile shots. The MiG-25 in particular is at a disadvantage here as the R-40 is not a great missile against a maneuvering aircraft, the MiG-31 and R-33 are a lot more dangerous.

Take a Sparrow shot at max range to try to force them defensive, and then keep on your cranking game. I don't worry about throwing away missiles too much in this scenario, your Sparrows here are more useful as tools to get you in close safely - the R-40 can be dangerous inside of 10 miles, so anything you can do to prevent these missile shots the better. If you can kill a few of the MiG-25s at medium range with higher Pk Sparrow shots that's cool, having your AI wingies help out with shooting can make this a real possibility. Eventually you'll probably end up merging with at least one of them, which is great. In a knife fight you have all the advantages against a MiG-25, but keep in mind they're tough aircraft and highly likely to survive a Sidewinder hit (though, they'll likely flee).

You go fast, fire and then crank. You reduce closing speed after you fire. Cranking makes his missile bleed speed and/or brings you closer for a higher Pk shot.

-

You go fast, fire and then crank. You reduce closing speed after you fire. Cranking makes his missile bleed speed and/or brings you closer for a higher Pk shot.

Sorry for asking. I *think* I know what you mean but can you just briefly explain cranking and beaming?

Sorry for asking. I *think* I know what you mean but can you just briefly explain cranking and beaming?

Cranking is a technique where you turn off-axis to place your target close to the radar gimbal limit, allowing you to point your nose as far off-axis as possible while maintaining a radar track. It's used both for offset radar intercepts and missile guidance to control closure speed and reduce the effectiveness of missiles fired at you.

Beaming, also called notching, is flying your aircraft perpendicular to an enemy aircraft or missile to make it more difficult for a doppler radar to track you. This is typically a purely defensive move, as the 90 degree angle does not allow you to acquire radar track on your opponent or engage him with missiles.

Cranking is a technique where you turn off-axis to place your target close to the radar gimbal limit, allowing you to point your nose as far off-axis as possible while maintaining a radar track. It's used both for offset radar intercepts and missile guidance to control closure speed and reduce the effectiveness of missiles fired at you.

Beaming, also called notching, is flying your aircraft perpendicular to an enemy aircraft or missile to make it more difficult for a doppler radar to track you. This is typically a purely defensive move, as the 90 degree angle does not allow you to acquire radar track on your opponent or engage him with missiles.

Thanks.