Sound modding

c0ff

I can't seem to get any of my sound mods to work (Harrier sounds, planecannon, Hornet cannon, Tanker speech). Do mods only work in OB now? I am pretty sure the directories are correct based on the previous few pages of this thread

Anyone having issues should show exactly what they're doing in order for others to help. Exact directory structure, file name and format etc.

• 1 month later...
No. You don't replace anything in Sounds.edc folder.

The Sounds directory is still in the DCS core. it's just encoded into Sounds.edc. So putting wav files in Saved Games with correct structure will replace the corresponding sound in "CORE" DCS Sounds.

How can I know the correct structure when they have removed them from main game folder? This is what frustrates me. Why did they do it like this. I cant mod 1 sound anymore. I cant even listen to the default sounds and know if I want to change the defaults sounds. What the hell is this. Is it because they dont want users to change any sounds?

How can I know the correct structure when they have removed them from main game folder? This is what frustrates me. Why did they do it like this. I cant mod 1 sound anymore. I cant even listen to the default sounds and know if I want to change the defaults sounds. What the hell is this. Is it because they dont want users to change any sounds?

As said above, they provided you with text file with structure of the sound files.

You can also download other sound mods to see how they did it.

They don't want you to modify "THEIR" sound files.

Seems you weren't really looking for help but just wanted to complain. Doesn't matter to me but please don't quote me when you do.

Hi. I deleted my post so you can delete yours so that is out of the way )) Sorry about that, didnt think of it that way. It is a valid reason for sure. Thanks .

I was wondering if someone knows if there are some kind of list that explains the Sw soundfiles and to what button or switch in the cockpit the numbers are refering to?

Effects/Aircrafts/F-5E/Cockpit/Sw04_Down

Aircrafts/F-5E/Cockpit/Sw04_Up.sdef

Here is Sw04 and I would like to find out the excact button or switch the 04 is. I think those Sw files are for buttons and switches inside the cockpit. If I had access to the sdef files I might find some reference there but those are gone now or hidden in the main game folder?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I realy love the new sounds. However, I would like to increase the distance the Gau 8 is heard. I tried to increase the outer radius in /savedgames/dcs/sounds/sdef/Weapons/GAU8Cannon.sdef but I cannot inherit from the sdef Gau8Cannon itself. I would need the vanilla settings and copy and paste it, though I don't have it. Can someone help me or has some tips? Thanks!

Before the 256 update I had my aircraft music theme replaced by one I liked better.-

After 256, that custom music dissapeared an now I cannot fix it. I tried replacing the "....DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Sounds\EditorMusic\MainMenuLoop.ogg" with my own music, which worked before, but it doesnt work now.

Advices welcome

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same question. Do anybody know how to manage it ?

Thanks !

image.png

06th Multirole Helicopter Regiment

Bataillon d'appui aérien - Escadrille HOG

• 2 weeks later...

While the new F-16C Vulcan cannon sound is pretty nice and a significant improvement over the original, I was using a custom accurate sound sample and with the new version my modded one is no longer used.

The path to my custom ones remains unchanged;

\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\F-16\Cockpit\VulcanIn.wav

\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\F-16\Cockpit\VulcanEndIn.wav

So the new effect must be using a different name. Can anyone tell me what that new sound name is or how to determine that? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to mod the FW-190D9's cockpit engine sounds. I have successfully changed the external sounds but I am having trouble figuring out the file structure for the internal sounds. Has anyone tried this recently? It's the only warbird yet to have a sound overhaul by ED 

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, c0ff said:

That was the decision. Sorry.

The sound files has been open for 20 years and you start getting protective at this point? It is very frustrating you guys did this since Ive always thought much of your sounds needs  sondmodding. Well, its been fun over the years but its over now ))

Edited by Bob1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, does anyone have an answer as to how, or where aircraft get assigned sound files to play? I'd like to add additional sounds to an aircraft mod I am working on but it is currently stuck with default FC3 sounds, a combination of F-15C and Su-25 sounds located in Sounds/effects

I'd like to not have to replace them if at all possible, since that would effect these aircraft. 

The aircraft only seems to identify certain files placed inside it's Sounds folder, so if I wanted to make it sound like an FA-18, or F-16 I couldn't. Anyone know the logic behind this? 

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

Thrustmaster T16000m HOTAS

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Looking for some knowledge.  Does anyone know what the file name and path is for the "default" gun sound inside the cockpit.  I'm talking about the sound you get with the likes of the F-22A mod etc.

I can tell you what it's not:

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\M61Cannon_In.wav

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\M61_Cycle.wav

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\PlaneCannon.wav

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\VulcanCannon.wav

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\VulcanIn.wav

The Viper now uses one here:

.\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\F-16\Cockpit\VulcanCannon.wav

That doesn't work if you try and replicate the sound structure for say 

.\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\F-22A\Cockpit\VulcanCannon.wav

There must be a default one used someplace but I can't match it up to anything.  I kept a copy of the sounds from 2.5.5 before they were encrypted and can't locate it in them.  I'd be nice to make it sound like a Vulcan cannon if desired.

Thanks!

*EDIT* Found it.  For anyone else that's interested it's these four files:

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\Automatic\GSh301.wav

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\Automatic\GSh301End

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\Automatic\GSh301In

.\Sounds\Effects\Weapons\Automatic\GSh301EndIn

Evidently this is the cannon used on the Su-25 and generic aircraft mods use that sound as well.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey guys !

Does someone knows how to define a custom sound for a custom gun?

I'm adding the gun as usual:

local __LN = add_launcher(GT.WS[ws], GT_t.LN_t._2A38M);
__LN.beamWidth = math.rad(90);
__LN.ECM_K = 0.9;
__LN.BR = {{connector_name = 'POINT_GUN_01'},{connector_name = 'POINT_GUN_02'}};
__LN.fireAnimationArgument = 23;
__LN.sightMasterMode = 1;
__LN.sightIndicationMode = 1;

But then when I want to add a custom sound, I'm just unable to do it. I have two sound files in DCS.openbeta\Mods\tech\[mod]\Sounds\Effect\Weapons:

image.png

As well as the two associated sdef files in DCS.openbeta\Mods\tech\[mod]\Sounds\sdef\Weapons:

image.png

I'm trying to use the following line to add the sounds to the gun, but to no avail:

__LN.sound  = {cycle_shot = "Weapons/CustomGun", end_burst = "Weapons/CustomGunEnd"};

Any pointers to solve my issue?

Thanks !

On 12/11/2021 at 8:33 PM, LetMePickThat said:

Hey guys !

Does someone knows how to define a custom sound for a custom gun?

I'm adding the gun as usual:

local __LN = add_launcher(GT.WS[ws], GT_t.LN_t._2A38M);
__LN.beamWidth = math.rad(90);
__LN.ECM_K = 0.9;
__LN.BR = {{connector_name = 'POINT_GUN_01'},{connector_name = 'POINT_GUN_02'}};
__LN.fireAnimationArgument = 23;
__LN.sightMasterMode = 1;
__LN.sightIndicationMode = 1;

But then when I want to add a custom sound, I'm just unable to do it. I have two sound files in DCS.openbeta\Mods\tech\[mod]\Sounds\Effect\Weapons:

image.png

As well as the two associated sdef files in DCS.openbeta\Mods\tech\[mod]\Sounds\sdef\Weapons:

image.png

I'm trying to use the following line to add the sounds to the gun, but to no avail:

__LN.sound  = {cycle_shot = "Weapons/CustomGun", end_burst = "Weapons/CustomGunEnd"};

Any pointers to solve my issue?

Thanks !

While we're at it with this question, may I add on how to exactly make a gun sound be heard all around a naval vessel? I'm trying to get Hawkeyes Battleship mods to make their gun firing sounds be heard from any angle of the ship. Rather than when just looking straight down the barrels of the guns? Similar to how ED makes the Burkes and other surface combatants produce a gun firing sound even when the camera is not looking down the barrel.

Edited by NGWR3455

1 hour ago, NGWR3455 said:

While we're at it with this question, may I add on how to exactly make a gun sound be heard all around a naval vessel? I'm trying to get Hawkeyes Battleship mods to make their gun firing sounds be heard from any angle of the ship. Rather than when just looking straight down the barrels of the guns? Similar to how ED makes the Burkes and other surface combatants produce a gun firing sound even when the camera is not looking down the barrel.

Do you use sounders or custom sounds? You can probably play with the sdef files to change the parameters of the sound cone.

Any idea about my problem?

Edited by LetMePickThat

18 hours ago, LetMePickThat said:

Do you use sounders or custom sounds? You can probably play with the sdef files to change the parameters of the sound cone.

Any idea about my problem?

Just the default sounders at the moment, though I wouldn't be surprised if I do find an answer to your question in the process.

I'll let you know if I do find anything!

• 2 months later...