The F-35 Thread

Groove

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea that's pretty standard. The Typhoon and Gripen have been criticized too. Hell in Italy even the freaking AMX was criticized like that, and the cost of one of those is nowhere near that of a front line fighter.

Which is why a computer flys it and most modern aircraft! Pilot directs and computer does the hard work and calculations.

It’s funny, the actual pilots who have flown it are all raving about how easy it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are talking about flying the jet. He is talking about fighting with the jet. Different things. Not saying that people saying that are right, i have no way to know it.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

That's idiotic. If it goes through and we keep the Tornado it will be the 104 debacle all over again, where we'll be flying aircraft 20 years after any reasonable retirement date. The AMX fleet is low on spares too, and the Harriers aren't going to get any younger any time soon -.-

edit: plus a) we currently have half a squadron worth of F35s, 10 of them to be exact, which also makes no sense. If we have so few the cost to maintain each one of them will be pretty stupid and b) as far as I know Italy is the only country with the tooling to assemble the F35 outside of the US, so withdrawing from the program is going to burn a LOT more money /sigh

Edited by TLTeo

file.php?id=27687&sid=4aec770305b3534c207940e8027ea1d8&mode=view

file.php?id=27688&sid=4aec770305b3534c207940e8027ea1d8&mode=view

F-35A Lightning II test aircraft assigned to the 31st Test Evaluation Squadron from Edwards Air Force Base, California, released AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-9X missiles at QF-16 targets during a live-fire test over an Air Force range in the Gulf of Mexico on June 12, 2018. The Joint Operational Test Team conducted the missions as part of Block 3F Initial Operational Test and Evaluation.

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/4523036/f-35-missile-tests-eglin-afb

Meanwhile in RIAT:

vu8N579v75U

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I'd like to have been there - I'm sure in person it was great, but personally - as they go I thought that was a pretty pedestrian display...
It wasn't a full demo. There's not even a demonstration team for the F-35. It was just a test pilot who did a few passes.

But you knew that...

• 4 weeks later...

I see these and 22s overhead regularly (I live next to the Lockheed assembly line). The 35 is surprisingly large. Like Flanker big. Waaaay bigger than 16s and 18s. Really didn't expect that first time I saw one. They seem to be noisier, too.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I don't know if they're quite as big as a Flanker but they're a real sight to behold in person. I got to see them up close at the last Avalon airshow over here. Struck me as oddly more compact up close than from a distance. The F135 is one hell of an engine though - I'm with you on the noise factor!!

I see these and 22s overhead regularly (I live next to the Lockheed assembly line). The 35 is surprisingly large. Like Flanker big. Waaaay bigger than 16s and 18s. Really didn't expect that first time I saw one. They seem to be noisier, too.

Sorry, I've stood under one of their wings, it's not that big. Not much bigger than a Viper. Definitely smaller than a Rhino.

visual.jpg

F-35-strafing.jpg

On Aug. 13, pilots from the 388th Fighter Wing’s 4th Fighter Squadron fired the F-35A’s 25 mm internal cannon in a strafing run on two sets of ground targets on the Utah Test and Training range. It was the first use of the F-35A’s GAU-22/A in operational training.

https://theaviationist.com/2018/08/16/these-shots-show-388th-fw-f-35a-using-the-internal-cannon-for-the-first-time-in-operational-training/