Air to Ground radar?

Skaufman1974

For all our complaints, DCS must be a pretty deep game given the size of the manuals that come with each module. That said, for every word in the Hornet game manual, the US Navy has produced thousands. If you are truly interested in study, send a PM or something and I will be happy to point you in the right direction or fly with you.

This is true. I'm generally impressed by the depth of the A10 module for the little I've played it. EA stuff is harder because it keeps changing, and you're not always sure if you are doing it right or if its implemented right. Most of the gripes about realism here tend to be very technical (and many of them are fair to varying degrees), but you are 1000% right that the biggest realism problem is the user base itself and I'm not sure how that gets solved. Some sort of Go-to 24/7 training server/mega how-to (yes I know there are many now but few use them) better youtube videos (i.e. here is how this goes IRL and here is how to apply it to the sim?) again I know there a probably a million how to bomb in mode X videos, but far fewer how to plan a cooperative mission vids or how to do 2v2 ACM (The reapers have a few that I know of, maybe I just know).

Also, just to keep on topic, I think the ray tracing functionality of the new cards absolutely could be used to better simulate things like radar returns. Whether or not it will be used is another thing, given ED's GFX specific tech agnostic policy.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Chinese, North Koreans, Russia, Iran, might disagree with your assessment of how many combat vehicles they have.

Irans and N. Korea are old obsolete and very posible not operating. Still like the post I quoted said, armies have learned not to bunch them together, so probably they will be scattered over 100 mts a part. Add to that that modern Antitank missiles are so advanced and effective that you really do not need all that CAS support, as proven by guerrilla fighters all over the world. ANd if you add to that the new drones armed with Hellfires, or whatever, and the new capability of launching from advanced posts, I say infantry is becoming much more an issue than armored vehicles...

I fully agree with you on the rest of your post.

Thanks, but no. I did ask the exact question I meant to ask :). The differences between DX11 and Vulkan (or DX12) are obvious to any graphics nerd I think? I was wondering why everyone is making such a big deal out of going to Vulkan over going to DX12. You mentioned untangling from MS and that several (or most?) big open world engines would go to Vulkan, which is interesting. So that part kinda makes sense to me. If domain experts believe the support from MS and perhaps larger pool of developers (?) are worth less than having more agency and control over their own destiny, I think I buy that.

Sorry you wrote so much stuff on the other topic, but I am sure someone who doesn't know what Vulkan is probably will learn a lot from your post.

Ya I saw that after i quoted you... there were several vulkan comments though so I just left it. Also it was mostly adapted copy/paste from previous explanations/posts.

I do think getting out from under MS' lock in is a big factor though, almost on principal... not that D3D is bad, but, assuming all else being equal, given a choice between DX and open source/royalty free api, who's main backers (khronos members) are AMD, Apple, Google, Intel, Nvidia, Valve, Epic, Huawei, Samsung -- basically everybody but MSFT. Not exactly a touch choice really

we are way off topic though, I don't mind to detract form the AG complaining...

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Be careful what you wish for, however. I hate to drone on about how bad we are, but we are. Given the lack of coordination, knowledge and skill, my confidence in our ability to engage and suppress a modern integrated air defense is approximately 0%. Are you volunteering to be the guy who spends his afternoon getting a few dozen guys organized, taking off, lining up to top off, launching four TALD decoys, spending 20 min in the stack, landing, then maybe launching to help refuel inbound? We can't all lob aim-54's from 40 miles out, for every strike mission there's 10 dudes launching decoys, and 5 or 6 refueling other Hornets.

I have participated in complex squadron missions (Not DCS) involving 20 aircraft with various contributing roles, including adversaries, and lasting over 2 hours that were extremely satisfying, but I don't believe this is possible in DCS with current network code. Such missions are possible with squadron members, as they tend be more disciplined in carrying out assigned roles than the average simmer. I opine that absolute realism is neither feasible nor desirable. Because DCS is an entertainment vehicle, expecting someone to spend 2 hours flying refueling orbits or uneventful fleet CAPs seems unrealistic.

There's a big clue in the way the current modules like Viggen have executed AG radar and what it missed which shows where the problems lie. A lot of it is in the terrain engine and one of the biggies is in the unit rendering. With HB, I could make a model of a matchbox, give it a descriptions of 1000m tall and still HB put a blob on the screen which is neither a matchbox or a kilometre high box. They could tell forest from town, but have no concept of buildings which would shine out on a radar with their reflective surfaces. There's essentially no good way of currently doing it and they have to puzzle it out so that the building models and unit models somehow are combined with the elevation and relief data that you can get. I think people still think that the module radars "see". They dont.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

.... I was wondering why everyone is making such a big deal out of going to Vulkan over going to DX12...

My guess is that DX12 is/was exclusive for Win10 while you can use Vulkan on older OS like Win7. So if you realize that you need a low level API like DX12 or Vulkan to solve problems in your game/app and a good percentage of your user base is NOT using Win10 you only have one option to go - Vulkan. And beside that, it is one step closer to get DCS ready for Linux - i know i'm dreaming here :D

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Also, today Wags confirmed in Mini Updates thread what we all knew already:smartass:

Let's hope Viper gets released soon so we the Hornet (and carrier ops) enthusiasts can look forward to all kinds of updates and fixes:D

• ED Team
Also, today Wags confirmed in Mini Updates thread what we all knew already:smartass:

Let's hope Viper gets released soon so we the Hornet (and carrier ops) enthusiasts can look forward to all kinds of updates and fixes:D

ED moved some team members from the hornet to the viper, they immediately updated us all.

work is still being done on the hornet in the mean time with remaining team members.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don’t think it’s “more is better” … I think it’s “time is better”

They’re trying to figure out a key system from the ground up which needs to be applicable across the entire DCS landscape.

That doesn’t happen overnight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com