Air to Ground radar?

Skaufman1974

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ED released a pic 3+ years ago, which showed their progress on the implementation of the ground mapping radar:

attachment.php?attachmentid=117059&d=1430413118

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

holy that looks cool. I didn't realize they were going for such a high-res image.

Man, when this jet is finished and they have a new version of FLIR and an A2G radar and a semi-realistic IFF (I'll be much older by then) it's really going to be a whole new ballgame.

Edited by BIGNEWY
1.1 profanity.

• 1 year later...
ED is busy releasing new modules ... don't disturb them with an uncompleted Hornet.
ED confirmed several time that new modules won't disturb the developement of the hornet. The engineers are still hard working to finish the hornet. Please note that not all engineers are working on the hornet, so it makes sense that they moved to other projects

AG radar is one of prior systems of any fighter/attack aircraft, like our Hornet. But i don't know why we don't have it yet...I hope that will happen soon.
Actually I'm not so sure about that. Granted that is a primary system for air to sea operations and weapons employment, but I'm not so sure it is really used by the hornet for A2G in any recent war scenario. I think it is the TGP the primary system and by a wide margin.

For other platforms with high resolution SAR modes (AESA radars for example), like the F15E or the new JSF, this might be different, and much more used, but i'm quite skeptical about the capacities in this regard of fighters like the F16 or the F18, not becayse they dont have DBS modes and GMT, but just because the resolution at range is not good enough nor the precision, compared with last generation TGPs available. However this is just a feeling and i could be proved wrong by any SME.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

True and valid

(...) i'm quite skeptical about the capacities in this regard of fighters like the F16 or the F18, not becayse they dont have DBS modes and GMT, but just because the resolution at range is not good enough nor the precision, compared with last generation TGPs available.(..)

Image posted re-posted by QuiGon proves exactly this.

In my personal opinion, I think A/G radar will be the last feature we will see for Hornet from the long list of things yet to come.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Indeed, Hornet pilots rarely use the A/G for anything other than employing Harpoons. But it can be useful, especially in GMT, since it can show you the location of moving units and then you can slave the TGP to it and get a better picture. Indeed though, I can definitely wait for it and IMO, the A/A radar modes are far more important.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

ED confirmed several time that new modules won't disturb the developement of the hornet. The engineers are still hard working to finish the hornet. Please note that not all engineers are working on the hornet, so it makes sense that they moved to other projects

Thats technically impossible...there is no way you can start-developing something if you have NOT finished the previous project ...:doh:

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

What's this?

Thats technically impossible...there is no way you can start-developing something if you have NOT finished the previous project ...:doh:

Are you for real or just for fun?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Depends. I imagine that a 3D artist's job is finished after they develop the 3D model and so they can work on a new project, while the people working in avionics development catch up later. I won't pretend to know if something like the INS and the Datalink require very different sets of skills to develop, but it could be that they do and certain developers might be more efficient if working on certain types of systems and then do the same job for another project. I'm like that, for example. I'm a nuclear engineer and I can design a core to your specifications, give you its performance, expected experimental capabilities, you name it. But if you want to see what happens to a fuel pin in the event of a power surge, I'm totally useless. I do expect that the truth is somewhere in between and as long as good progress is made on the Hornet, I do not mind. Also, these jets have lots of similar systems and progress in one will likely assist the other.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

IT Development Director here... You can have resources pivot from one project to another as their workload on "project 1" begins to slow and "project 2" begins to ramp up. It is feasible and happens in literally any company that has any sort of coding/development work taking place. Further, it is possible to HIRE additional staff to work on two different projects.

Such a silly comment.

Edited by Guppy

While I don't think the AG radar will be used to target weapons much (not that it won't but the pod will likely take precedence), I think its primary purpose (which is badly needed) is locating targets - especially moving targets. Using that to get a sense of the battlespace, and as a way to move the target pod or missile focus into place will be a final key block to the larger AG mission. It's in the jet for a reason.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Actually I'm not so sure about that. Granted that is a primary system for air to sea operations and weapons employment, but I'm not so sure it is really used by the hornet for A2G in any recent war scenario. I think it is the TGP the primary system and by a wide margin.

For other platforms with high resolution SAR modes (AESA radars for example), like the F15E or the new JSF, this might be different, and much more used, but i'm quite skeptical about the capacities in this regard of fighters like the F16 or the F18, not becayse they dont have DBS modes and GMT, but just because the resolution at range is not good enough nor the precision, compared with last generation TGPs available. However this is just a feeling and i could be proved wrong by any SME.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

It really depends on what scenario you are talking about. And yes A/G ground radar was used in pretty much every "war" scenario that involved that thing called "weather". TPODS that see in the vis spectrum and in the IR spectrum very well. Of course older TPOD's were also much more limited in that regard than the TPOD's we see on the hornet, and in many ways its probably over-modeled in some regards. A/G radar has the benefit of being able to see through cloud cover and sand storms, which was a major factor in operation Allied Force, DS1, OIF and so forth. It is a very different tool than a TPOD however.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

But i don't know why we don't have it yet...I hope that will happen soon.

Because it's difficult and a lot of work to implement. And because EDs original engineer for that task left the company.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Because it's difficult and a lot of work to implement. And because EDs original engineer for that task left the company.

They've known it will be a lot of work for many years.

I would have thought they would have started work on the A/G long ago in order to have it available for EA of the F-18. It's not like the F-18 hasn't been in their plans for 4-5 years.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

They've known it will be a lot of work for many years.

I would have thought they would have started work on the A/G long ago in order to have it available for EA of the F-18. It's not like the F-18 hasn't been in their plans for 4-5 years.

Well they have. Have you seen the screenshot I posted on the first page of this thread? It shows their progress back in 2015: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2386306&postcount=1

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well they have. Have you seen the screenshot I posted on the first page of this thread? It shows their progress back in 2015: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2386306&postcount=1

That's hardly reassuring QuiGon now is it? Kinda speaks to lack of effort over time I was indicating. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog