"Bay of Hogs" campaign available again.

I recently somewhat learned for fly the Mi-8, love it! Did not practice weapon deployment yet, just flying. So how did you make those targets explode, with a grenade launcher? I did not see how you aim it on the video?

This might help you:

http://www.c9114110.myzen.co.uk/Guides/hip-weapons.htm

Though it doesn't go through actual aiming (thought that would be too simplistic).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

This might help you:

http://www.c9114110.myzen.co.uk/Guides/hip-weapons.htm

Though it doesn't go through actual aiming (thought that would be too simplistic).

It does not work like that in this campaign. The author of the missions have built-in some triggers. If you fly within a certain radius of the target and at a certain altitude over the ground, the targets will explode magically. Distance and Altitude parameters are explained in the briefing. This is how the author simulates that onboard soldiers fire upon the target with a grenade-launcher (and destroying it)

Awesome creative solution I think! :pilotfly:

Edited by 1.JaVA_Platypus
zpeling aror

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

It does not work like that in the campaign. The author of the missions have built-in some triggers. If you fly within a certain radius of the target and at a certain altitude over the ground, the targets will explode magically. Distance and Altitude parameters are explained in the briefing. This is how the author simulates that onboad soldiers fire upon the target with a grenade-launcher (and destroying it)

Awesome creative solution I think! :pilotfly:

YOU NAILED IT! Couldn't have put it better myself. And thanks :)

I never even got to that part in mission 2. Always my engines die for some reason when trying to land at the little airfield where you are supposed to disembark the commandos who are supposed to blow up something.

Oh well, we try the new version.

About that killing of the engines:

I got the same report from a guy flying the old Huey campaign. He sent me a track-file and OH BOY did he punish the engine. With the collective. HARD and jittery. Now I'm not saying you did the same and my only intent here is to stress how important it is to go smooth on the collective. I move it very slowly when the engine/chopper is under pressure. I DO move it fast when I'm pretty much weightless though (=a LOT less strain on the engine). My point being, try to use the air "pillow" when you come in and only use collective moderately. As smooth as possible. If you can't get things working for you, turn off the brakes and make a rolling landing.

You might of course know all this already and if that's the case, I'm in no way trying to "lecture" you. Myself, I hate when people point out the obvious to me. Condescending morons...

BUT: What if your joystick is doing all the punishment? Maybe it's too sensitive or something like that. If that's the case I don't know how I can help. I fly with an old MSFFB2 from 2001 and I have no clue about curves or anything like that. I just plugged it in when I got DCS and I've never bothered with any special settings. But do check your joystick, see if there's any way to mellow things down on the collective.

Alright, "lecture" over now ;)

Hello Mr. Tako, I appreciatie your advice. I am pretty sure it is not my handling of the chopper. In all other missions and online events, I never manage to kill-off both my engines. I do know how to get out of a VRS but I rarely get into one. Last time I was flying this mission, I noticed lots of small arms fire striking the chopper's engines. It seemed to stop after the engines were broken. I will try this mission with your 'new' campaign today or tomorrow.

This time I got on the ground in one piece. Except the guys with the AK's started shooting my commandos! Luckily not me. When take-ing off, I overflew one group of them and they shot one of my engines. But well, I think I need to take a different route to exit. Maybe even point my chopper toward the coastline when the commandoes are busy playing around.

Oh well... In real life, we don't get to do do-overs like that! I think the missions are very well designed.

2yzbr6r.jpg

Hey that action shot was AWESOME! And I think you're on the right path about heading straight for the coast. Coming in, I usually do it from the southern part to take advantage of the headwind. I used to roll in on the tarmac but nowadays I've discovered it safer to just go nuts and pull back on the stick and drop the collective...in a wide half-circling landing. THEN meet up with the collective whilst "ground effect braking". Main thing is come in fast and irregular. But them bad commies got one of your engines huh? Well, that's progress to me anyhow :)

And I'm glad you like the missions too - they're not suitable for everybody.

SPEULER ALERT: I've made the commandos and several other mission critical units immortal. Some might think that's a bummer but I think it's the only way to go. This being more of an 80s action movie and less of a Tom Clancy novel ;) Besides, with the game engine getting changed every month, infantry and ground units in general get changed in their behaviour all the time...why not play it safe? :)

I did this mission with the Huey, not yet the Mi-8. You have to take off and fly direction West as the flight plan says. The enemy units are in the ends of each runway, so if you fly West avaoiding the runways, you would be safe.

Tako,

I have a question, I arrive to the point where I have to land on top of the highest building North of the airfield, now which one is that? I am stuck. :D

• 1 month later...

Mission two. I've flown it many many many times. Just because I couldn't pass it. :P It is a very challenging and creative mission. Especially the part after the airborne assault. :D I finally completed the mission now. But I spend my time with the Gazelle ever since...

Your mastery of the Mi-8 is very good. I see you are coming in at top speed, weaving about a bit to slow down and come to a halt EXACTLY where you are needed. I especially like the way you are basically circling the first airfield and slowing down at the same time. And making yourself a hard target for the guys with the AK's.

Hints:

-speed is key, especially in the second part with the AA guns. After that, it is not so difficult anymore.

-At the second airfield where you have to destroy the AA guns, try to approach the airfield from the east side. Not the west as indicated by the waypoints. The triggerzone for the siren (and the 1 minute countdown) seems to be concentrated on the west side. If you approach the east side first, you can come much closer before the siren goes.

@JaVA_Platypus

You made it?! AWESOME! :thumbup: Winners never quit!

And thanks for the positive feedback :) Now of course, having made this mission AND tested it like a hundred times...it gives me a SLIGHT advantage in the skillz department ;)

(something I gotta remember in the future, to differentiate between my own over-rehearsed "skills" and that of a guy who flies it for the first time).

Your hints are all on target. Had to look up that trigger zone in the mission editor and sneaking in from the east might just buy you an extra ten seconds or so. Which is a LOT in this mission.

The Gazelle huh? I really want to try it out but they never seem to get around releasing it on Steam. As with the Mirage, as with "IL-2 Battle of Moscow"...I'm smelling a disdain for Steam. Could it be that nothing worth buying will ever be released on Steam again? I wish they could tell it like it is and I'll move all my things over. Just a lot of work but it might just be worth it. A bit sad though as Steam has always worked perfectly and I've never had to keep a record of all my games/distributors/licenses and what not. But if they wanna ditch Steam they oughta tell us up front.

Siren.thumb.jpg.d5dd6f25a9e5e477a5ff953d4a32b20b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your work on this campaign! I flew the first mission last night, and it was great.

(Thanks also to Mikhail Mil and his successors, for designing the best helicopter. Seriously. I've never met any helo so easy to fly well. I'm doing things in the Mi-8 after maybe five or six hours of total flight time that I would never attempt in the Huey.)

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission