[MERGED] Afterburner effects and transition

This is something I have always wanted in DCS but now with the hornet even more as this module is a true state of the art flight simulation in all regards but the afterburners effect is still having that "old fashioned" step by step texture look...I mean they look good once they are lit but the transition between states and between off-on/on-off feels very unatural. I would really love a NEW afterburner effect that captures that "flickering" of the light and with some fluid animation making smooth continous transitions all the way from off to full afterburner and the opposite as well as removing the glow afterburner effect at the distance (its very overdone) :joystick: ...the Hornet has a particulary noticeable flickering effect (8:48s):

God, it would be soooo cool to have this effect revamped!!:music_whistling:

Also the light cone could be better and have better response to light conditions as well as an smooth transition, and not be there if there is no light coming from the inner of the engine as it happens now in the first stages of the AB.

Please ED, put this into the to-do list, please!!!

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Afterburner effects and transition

The afterburners currently in the Hornet look extremely stiff and kinda like the AI aircraft Afterburners from LOMAC or Flanker 2.0 when they transition from off to full.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Daytime in-game look decent. Night effects could use some work.

LOL, that video must be fake! He has the burner on for sooo long and no external fuel tanks - impossible with the hornet :lol:

Seriously:Nice show at an even nicer daytime. I‘ve been at a couple airshows in Europe but always daytime and (nearly) always blue skies (sometimes the European summer is somewhat reliable...sometimes;) ). What a beautiful light and sky at that Airfest, perfect background for burners and the mach diamonds.

The Afterburners on the hornet are new and look accurate and beautiful to me, nothing like the Lomac ABs, So I dont know where you are getting that Idea from.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

the Hornet has a particulary noticeable flickering effect

Be careful when judging particular effects by what you see on YouTube (or indeed, any footage captured by a film camera):

Flickering is often caused by synchronisation issues between the camera's framerate and what is actually happening. For example: look up some motovlog on YouTube, and if the camera films the motorcycle head-on, you can see the headlights (especially if they are LED lights) "flickering", while they clearly don't in real life.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

This flickering does not exist in real life I believe. Afterburner fuel flow is constant, the flame is constant, there is no abrupt variation like a LED lamp as said above, where it blinks 60 times per second, or even a piston engine. The flame burns continuously.

This is probably a camera thing. Doesn't really have anything to do with the actual afterburner.

There is space for improvements indeed, dynamic AB, better shock diamonds, better animation etc. But the textures are quite nice on the Hornet.

Also, I don't know how you come to a conclusion that the AB on the Hornet looks like from LOMAC. It's much better than any AB effect I've seen in DCS so far.

Edited by Vitormouraa

Be careful when judging particular effects by what you see on YouTube (or indeed, any footage captured by a film camera):

Flickering is often caused by synchronisation issues between the camera's framerate and what is actually happening. For example: look up some motovlog on YouTube, and if the camera films the motorcycle head-on, you can see the headlights (especially if they are LED lights) "flickering", while they clearly don't in real life.

Shutter Speed and Hz of the LEDs

The LEDs do "Flicker" just at a frequency your eye's cannot see, where as a camera's shutter can operate at 1/48 1/72+ and see the frequency in which the LEDs operate or even the electricity in normal filament bumbs.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

With flickering I meant the movement or changes in the light that the flames emit...I posted that video just because its slow mo and you can see the flames changing, moving, emiting sparkles, and increasing and decreasing light intensity...

all this actually happens in real life as I have seen it with my own eyes.

I know the hornet has a nice and subtle animation in the burners but its only in the inner face of the shock cone not the front of the burners which are static...

also the most "annoying" thing for me and what imho needs a revamp the most is the abrupt steps between different levels of afterburners...they are instant and very few instead of smoothly changing and increasing/decreasing brightness.

I wish ED to make much varied and smooth transition between different levels, better light emmision and adjusted shock cone transparency, behaviour, animation and light emmision.

Edited by watermanpc

1273572904_Usmc_Hornet_Night_102.jpg.1b8ed6935f832025805404b064f9f882.jpgMy only complaint about afterburner effects is that it isn't bright during low light and at night.
Edited by mytai01

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

At night or possibly in certain conditions, the flame can be a bit blueish

Totally bluish white...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Afterburner color at dusk/dawn and night looks quite good and close to what we can see in these pics, however the stiff and not smooth transition from off/on, on/off and between different levels of AB is what I think ED should improve the most...I wish an effect that changes SMOOTHLY and depending on the speed you actuate the throttle just like in real life.

Also, as mentioned before, in all planes, as far as I know, there is a first point when engaging AB at which the shock cone is visible (even at day time) while there is no any visible fire inside the burners and makes the effect to look REALLY ODD...please, fix this also ED.

thanks!!

Who has watched real afterburner during low light / night conditions ?

Because I don't trust pictures, too much dramatic effect and sensitivity to infrared light.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Who has watched real afterburner during low light / night conditions ?

Because I don't trust pictures, too much dramatic effect and sensitivity to infrared light.

Well it can be seen in videos too

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Camera lens vs Human Eye.

The bloom effect at night is no where near what the camera's portray.