GTX 2080 Ti's and VR Max - Page 19 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #181
AureliusAugustus
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mountain View, CA - USA
Posts: 152
Default

I already tested it Neuse but have not put up the numbers yet. Will do it tonight. Thanks for the reminder.
__________________
The beauty of the Multiverse can best be appreciated by learning the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ...... mathematics.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #182
hannibal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,675
Default

ended up RMAing my evga 2080Ti XC. had some issues.. intermittent...
__________________
find me on steam! username: Hannibal_Su25T

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179
hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #183
VirusAM
Member
 
VirusAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 652
Send a message via MSN to VirusAM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannibal View Post
ended up RMAing my evga 2080Ti XC. had some issues.. intermittent...


so appartently the rumors are true
__________________
Vincent "Virus" DThe
I7-9900K @5GHz | 16gb DDR4 Ram | GeForce GTX1080ti | SSD Nvme Intel | Ssd NVME 480GB Adata| Hotas Warthog + Cougar MFD | Thrustmaster Rudder | UTC MkII Pro + Ps3Eye | Samsung CH3270 32" 2560x1440 QLED Monitor | Lenovo Explorer VR Headset
VirusAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 AM   #184
AureliusAugustus
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mountain View, CA - USA
Posts: 152
Default

Nvidia, is looking into the situation but apparently, when the GDDR6 is not cooled sufficiently, errors start popping up. Publicly, Nvidia has said that returns are less than 0.01% of purchased cards, but something tells me that is a stretch.
__________________
The beauty of the Multiverse can best be appreciated by learning the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ...... mathematics.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:05 AM   #185
AureliusAugustus
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mountain View, CA - USA
Posts: 152
Default

More news here on RTX 2080 series failure modes:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry...ck-almost-gone
__________________
The beauty of the Multiverse can best be appreciated by learning the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ...... mathematics.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #186
AureliusAugustus
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mountain View, CA - USA
Posts: 152
Default

Next up is the F-18 Hornet on the Persian Gulf Map at Dubai

Ok, everything is the same as Post #36 on page 4 of this thread, except that instead of the P-51 at Batumi, we now have the Instant Action free flight mission with the F-18 Hornet flying around the skyscrapers of Dubai. So, let's look at the exact numbers

For all the cards I set the following in System Options:

Text – High /Terrain – High /Traffic – High /Water – High / Visib Range – Extreme / Heat Blur – Low /Shadows – High / Resolution 1920 x 1080 /Aspect Ratio - 1.77 / Monitor – 1 Screen / Cockpit Display – 1024 Every Frame / MSAA – Off / DOF – Simple / Lens – Flare / Motion – On / SSAA – 2x / Grass Slider at 100% / Tree Slider at 100% / Preload Slider at 100% / Chimney Smoke at 35% / Gamma at 2.2 / AF – 16x / Terrain Shadows – Flat / Cockpit – On / Rain – Yes / All others unchecked.

(Notice that MSAA is off)

In VR Settings, I set Pixel Density (PD) to 1.5

And with three runs on each card using the Oculus Rift, here is what I got (averaged with FRAPS):

1080 – 40.9 FPS – Averaged 5.5% CPU usage

1080 Ti – 54.7 FPS – Average 5.2% CPU usage

2080 Ti – 72.7 FPS – Averaged 5.7% CPU usage

When I tried to take things up to Pixel Density 1.8 (which I consider the minimum for VR use in DCS on the Rift), I averaged 29.4 FPS with the 1080 card, 45.7 FPS with the 1080 Ti and 60.8 FPS with the 2080 Ti. When I pushed for a PD of 2.0, I got 21.2 FPS with the 1080, 30.0 with the 1080 Ti and 41.7 FPS with the 2080 Ti. For kicks, I kept the above very high System Options and moved PD up to 2.5 with the 2080 Ti and got 25.7 FPS average.

You can see that the combination of the Hornet and Dubai contributes to a very steady 20 to 23% reduction in frame rates across the board. I did fire several missiles into the Burj Khalifa and not much happened. I did blow out many windows traveling at about Mach 1.18 past many apartment buildings though. I guess they sent some jets to chase me down but I ditched near a small oasis that happened to have nude fitness models and cold beer
__________________
The beauty of the Multiverse can best be appreciated by learning the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ...... mathematics.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW

Last edited by AureliusAugustus; 11-08-2018 at 09:16 AM.
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #187
Neuse
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 26
Default

Hm sad to see. If you put in the mssa2 for flicker reduction and add Ai Warfare of a normal mission even a 2080ti won't be enough to make sure that you never ditch below 45 I guess. Maybe with the vr mod.
Neuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #188
VirusAM
Member
 
VirusAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 652
Send a message via MSN to VirusAM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
Next up is the F-18 Hornet on the Persian Gulf Map at Dubai

Ok, everything is the same as Post #36 on page 4 of this thread, except that instead of the P-51 at Batumi, we now have the Instant Action free flight mission with the F-18 Hornet flying around the skyscrapers of Dubai. So, let's look at the exact numbers

For all the cards I set the following in System Options:

Text – High /Terrain – High /Traffic – High /Water – High / Visib Range – Extreme / Heat Blur – Low /Shadows – High / Resolution 1920 x 1080 /Aspect Ratio - 1.77 / Monitor – 1 Screen / Cockpit Display – 1024 Every Frame / MSAA – Off / DOF – Simple / Lens – Flare / Motion – On / SSAA – 2x / Grass Slider at 100% / Tree Slider at 100% / Preload Slider at 100% / Chimney Smoke at 35% / Gamma at 2.2 / AF – 16x / Terrain Shadows – Flat / Cockpit – On / Rain – Yes / All others unchecked.

(Notice that MSAA is off)

In VR Settings, I set Pixel Density (PD) to 1.5

And with three runs on each card using the Oculus Rift, here is what I got (averaged with FRAPS):

1080 – 40.9 FPS – Averaged 5.5% CPU usage

1080 Ti – 54.7 FPS – Average 5.2% CPU usage

2080 Ti – 72.7 FPS – Averaged 5.7% CPU usage

When I tried to take things up to Pixel Density 1.8 (which I consider the minimum for VR use in DCS on the Rift), I averaged 29.4 FPS with the 1080 card, 45.7 FPS with the 1080 Ti and 60.8 FPS with the 2080 Ti. When I pushed for a PD of 2.0, I got 21.2 FPS with the 1080, 30.0 with the 1080 Ti and 41.7 FPS with the 2080 Ti. For kicks, I kept the above very high System Options and moved PD up to 2.5 with the 2080 Ti and got 25.7 FPS average.

You can see that the combination of the Hornet and Dubai contributes to a very steady 20 to 23% reduction in frame rates across the board. I did fire several missiles into the Burj Khalifa and not much happened. I did blow out many windows traveling at about Mach 1.18 past many apartment buildings though. I guess they sent some jets to chase me down but I ditched near a small oasis that happened to have nude fitness models and cold beer


well....i war really waiting for your results...since i am really unsatisfied after my cpu upgrade (see specs) and i was “hoping” it was some sort of configuration error on my side...but your results are almost in line with mine....so it is just Dcs World engine not optimized (please guys Vulkan Asap)....
If you have time...could you please try the second mission of the hornet mini campaign?There when i feet dry i have an huge performance loss probably because there are a lot of ground ai units
__________________
Vincent "Virus" DThe
I7-9900K @5GHz | 16gb DDR4 Ram | GeForce GTX1080ti | SSD Nvme Intel | Ssd NVME 480GB Adata| Hotas Warthog + Cougar MFD | Thrustmaster Rudder | UTC MkII Pro + Ps3Eye | Samsung CH3270 32" 2560x1440 QLED Monitor | Lenovo Explorer VR Headset
VirusAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #189
AureliusAugustus
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mountain View, CA - USA
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuse View Post
Hm sad to see. If you put in the mssa2 for flicker reduction and add Ai Warfare of a normal mission even a 2080ti won't be enough to make sure that you never ditch below 45 I guess. Maybe with the vr mod.
I have said it before Neuse and will say it again now, the 2080 cards are a bust from my point of view. The 2080 is barely (like 3% on average) better than a 1080 Ti, and the 2080 Ti is about 35% faster but for $700 more!!! This is simply Nvidia unable to get cards into mass production with a die of 10 or 7 nanometers and them also profiting off the formerly super high crypto mining prices that GPUs were selling for back in early 2018. Once TSMC gets their 7 nanometer lines up and running, you will see the 2080s re-released likely in late 2019 with more power and less heat and wattage. If you have a 1080 Ti, keep it, ... if you don't, upgrade to it and you will be fine for more than a year or possibly until 2020 to 2021 when Nvidia releases a true successor to the 1080Ti for a reasonable price of say, ... something like $750.
__________________
The beauty of the Multiverse can best be appreciated by learning the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ...... mathematics.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #190
Hippo
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
... SSAA – 2x ....

Sorry if mentioned already, but I don't believe that this setting does anything in VR.
__________________
System spec: Intel i7 8700K (3.7 / 4.7 GHz), Asus Prime Z370-A, MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8GB (1556 / 1746 MHz), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600 3200 MHz, Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 840 + 850 EVO 250 GB SSD (500 GB RAID 0 games drive), AOC U3477PQU Monitor, Oculus Rift CV1, Saitek X52 Pro
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:19 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.