Inside the Nimitz Class Carrier - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
noisy_lightning

Default Inside the Nimitz Class Carrier

This video came onto my YouTube feed earlier and figured a number of people would be interested to watch it.

https://youtu.be/fkuLSG47Gv4

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
noisy_lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
Worrazen

Are those tool machines actually usable in the toolshop, didn't knew these things have such a serious machine shop there.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
Zius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrazen View Post
Are those tool machines actually usable in the toolshop, didn't knew these things have such a serious machine shop there.
I didn't watch the whole video yet but I did look up that part.

What I found most noticable was the amount of machines cramped into a fairly small room.

On most commercial ships (which I'm very familiar with) in roughly the same size class as the Nimitz, the workshop has similar tools but less of them (e.g. 1 lathe instead of 3/4).

The purpose of a workshop is that you have to be able to do basic repairs (and a bit above basic ) while at sea. On a large commercial vessel this could include changing a cylinder head or liner, but also repairing leakages etc.