Heritage Flight Simulation MkIX cockpit - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
shreddersa

Default Heritage Flight Simulation MkIX cockpit

Dont wish to spam mods so remove this if inappropriate, however I thought this might be of broader interest. The HFS cockpit design is just about complete and the prototype construction will be starting this month, with plans proven and available targeted by end of the year.

https://heritageflightsim.com/2018/0...top-wallpaper/
shreddersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Boris

I had a look at the website to see what this is about. Looks amazing!

So, you're rebuilding a Spitfire cockpit in order for it to be compatible with DCS in VR, in terms of touch?

Have you thought about making a Warthog compatible Spitfire stick grip commercially available?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
shreddersa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I had a look at the website to see what this is about. Looks amazing!

So, you're rebuilding a Spitfire cockpit in order for it to be compatible with DCS in VR, in terms of touch?

Have you thought about making a Warthog compatible Spitfire stick grip commercially available?
Hi Boris, Apologies for this late response. My post notifications dont seem to be working correctly.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, we believe this will be providing an amazing experience. It will marry an accurate Spitfire MkIX cockpit to the DCS World Spit, giving an unparalleled VR immersion.

Yes we have thought about (and designed) a spade grip with gooseneck compatible with the VKB base ( not sure if that is also compatible with the Warthog, TM technology is not as accessable as VKB). They have been somewhat busy though, getting their new factory going and orders shipped, so it hasn’t progressed much further at this time. For us the priority is to complete the cockpit but will pick up on it again in the new year.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
rogonaut

looks very good!
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
xvii-Dietrich

One day, these hyper-detailed 3D renderings will have a webpage. At the bottom of which, there is a "3D-print" button. You click it, select DCS in the drop-down menu, fill in an address and credit-card number, and the next day it is delivered to your home.
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
DD_Fenrir

A quick warning regarding the aileron force feedback - if it's the NACA Mk.VA aircraft that is the source of the aileron load graph, be careful; I cannot find any source that confirms whether or not this aircraft had fabric or metal covered ailerons.

Ergo, if it had fabric covered ailerons then the stick force measurements you have referenced will be too high if your aim is to represent a Mk.IX, as all Mk.IX were fitted with metal covered ailerons.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
Terry Dactil

Does aileron deflection match the roll rate?
I think probably not. I imagine V squared would be in the equation somewhere.
As a pilot I don't care about what aileron displacement I get.
I think I would be more interested in stick force vs roll rate being linear.
Terry Dactil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
shreddersa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Dactil View Post
Does aileron deflection match the roll rate?
I think probably not. I imagine V squared would be in the equation somewhere.
As a pilot I don't care about what aileron displacement I get.
I think I would be more interested in stick force vs roll rate being linear.
As the airspeed increases, less control movement is required to achieve the same roll rate. I need to test whether this is properly modelled in DCS.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
shreddersa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
A quick warning regarding the aileron force feedback - if it's the NACA Mk.VA aircraft that is the source of the aileron load graph, be careful; I cannot find any source that confirms whether or not this aircraft had fabric or metal covered ailerons.

Ergo, if it had fabric covered ailerons then the stick force measurements you have referenced will be too high if your aim is to represent a Mk.IX, as all Mk.IX were fitted with metal covered ailerons.
Thanks for the heads up! Those were the only figures I have been able to find. That said, I understand that metal ailerons were being fitted by June 41. They were fitted to MkV, so the NACA tests done in September 1942 would most likely have been with metal ailerons.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
shreddersa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersa View Post
As the airspeed increases, less control movement is required to achieve the same roll rate. I need to test whether this is properly modelled in DCS.
So I checked and regrettably, this does not seem to be modeled properly in the DCS Spitfire. This in spite of the purported Professional Flight Model.

My tests indicated a roll rate to port of 360deg in 5 seconds, whether at 180mph or 300mph.

This in contrast to say the P47 modeled by FlyingIron Simulations for X-Plane, where the roll rate is 5 seconds at 200mph and 2.5 seconds at 300mph.

I look forward to their Spitfire Mk.IX for X-Plane 11!