Viewing Mark Point and Way points simultaneously on TAD

LaLa

I want to be able to view mark points and waypoints simultaneously on TAD, so I can see where they are relative to one another.

There plenty of information on how to create a waypoints using L/L in the CDU, but there must be an easier way!

My initial thought was to convert mark points to waypoint, but seems no easy way to accomplish this task.

Maybe there's a more direct way, help appreciated.

If you set you Aux. Avionics Panel to MARK then you can view all the mark point. If you want to copy them into a waypoint this should be possible by setting the TAD as SOI, Slew cursor over the MARK point, hook it. Now ? should appear OSB18. Pressing OSB18 ? will copy the hooked item into a waypoint.

Cheers

Hans

Wait a minute! ;-)

When I switch back to "Flight Plan" mode from "MARK" mode using Aux. Avionics Panel, I now see a square with a central dot, looks like a waypoint (square with central dot) but its not selectable with the rocker switch (so what is it?). If I try to add more than one markpoint, the TAD only shows the last one (I created from a markpoint) while in flight plan mode.

Is this consistant with what you would expect?

regards

Lala

When I switch back to "Flight Plan" mode from "MARK" mode [...] its not selectable

That's correct, too. ;)

Creating a waypoint from a markpoint means that this waypoint now exists in the aircraft's waypoint database, but it is not automatically added to the current flightplan.

The easiest way to select it is to set the AAP mode switch to "MISSION". The new waypoint should be available right after the predefined waypoints.

(Be aware that this database also contains all other waypoints like airfields, predefined initial points from the mission editor and so on, and cycling them all might take a lot of time.)

Using the CDU, you could also add this waypoint to an existing or new flight plan, and more importantly it can be renamed via CDU as well so that it becomes easy to distinguish.

In some missions I cycle between Flight Plan, Mark and Mission like crazy. Takes some getting used to and a bit of muscle memory, but making good use of TAD, CDU and waypoints/markpoints can be a huge help in order to build up situational awareness - especially if one doesn't forget to look out the window every now and then, too. :)

Useful info on these posts, thanks a lot.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

If you set you Aux. Avionics Panel to MARK then you can view all the mark point. If you want to copy them into a waypoint this should be possible by setting the TAD as SOI, Slew cursor over the MARK point, hook it. Now ? should appear OSB18. Pressing OSB18 ? will copy the hooked item into a waypoint.

Cheers

Hans

Very useful info, did not know this :thumbup:

Thanks

That's correct, too. ;)

Creating a waypoint from a markpoint means that this waypoint now exists in the aircraft's waypoint database, but it is not automatically added to the current flightplan.

The easiest way to select it is to set the AAP mode switch to "MISSION". The new waypoint should be available right after the predefined waypoints.

(Be aware that this database also contains all other waypoints like airfields, predefined initial points from the mission editor and so on, and cycling them all might take a lot of time.)

Using the CDU, you could also add this waypoint to an existing or new flight plan, and more importantly it can be renamed via CDU as well so that it becomes easy to distinguish.

In some missions I cycle between Flight Plan, Mark and Mission like crazy. Takes some getting used to and a bit of muscle memory, but making good use of TAD, CDU and waypoints/markpoints can be a huge help in order to build up situational awareness - especially if one doesn't forget to look out the window every now and then, too. :)

Thank you Yurgon, I should have figured this out, makes total sense. Seems like CDU would allow easier creation of subsets for use as flight plans, since CDU flight plan editting during combat is clumsy, but it is what it is!

Thanks again to Hans Solo for his initial response, and Yurgon for filling me in!

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Thats a great question worthy of a new thread imo. I have to guess its a yes. My buddy flies medvac helicopters and is constantly talking shop. Dcs is deep enough we often compare notes. Still I wonder if there is a usaf endorsed forum or if its all offline?

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Mark points

Cheers

Hans

I normally only use Mark z, but this info going to have me trying new stuff. Forum is so helpful :thumbup:

In real life do pilots do this sort of thing?

IIRC, Snoopy or Eddie said that IRL A-10C ops, weapons in CCRP are always dropped on the steerpoint, and that this needs to be a waypoint, not a markpoint. I assume that the way to get there includes working the TAD and the CDU just as was discussed in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a new way that seems to work for me:

• Start mission
  • Active pause
  • Set HUD as SOI
  • Set China Hat forward long to select start point as SPI
  • TMS Right short to set start as markpoint A
  • Confirm on TAD
  • Next waypoint using rocker on UFC
  • Set China Hat forward long to select next waypoint as SPI
  • TMS Right short to set as markpoint B
  • Confirm on TAD

Recycle thru all waypoints

ex WP1-5 now exist as markpoints A-E

Now have All waypoints as mark points

Turn to markpoint mode

Can see all waypoints now identified as markpoints

Any new markpoints are targets, so no need to go to waypoint or flightplan while in combat.

Only problem so far is the limited number of markpoints ie A-Y

Not to bad to toggle between Waypoint and Markpoint mode using the UFC but still not HOTAS available.

Is it possible to rename existing markpoint? I thought it was possible but I suspect not since seems number of MPs limited to letters A-Y.

Edited by LaLa
more complete

I found a new way that seems to work for me:

• Start mission
  • Active pause
  • Set HUD as SOI
  • Set China Hat forward long to select start point as SPI
  • TMS Right short to set start as markpoint A
  • Confirm on TAD
  • Next waypoint using rocker on UFC
  • Set China Hat forward long to select next waypoint as SPI
  • TMS Right short to set as markpoint B
  • Confirm on TAD

Recycle thru all waypoints

ex WP1-5 now exist as markpoints A-E

Now have All waypoints as mark points

That's... nice... but why? What do you gain from that? Since you already have waypoints on targets, why put additional markpoints on them? I don't see any upside whatsoever.

Also, in regards to terminology:

"Set China Hat forward long to select start point as SPI"

Nope. China Hat Forward Long slaves all sensors to SPI.

By default, your SPI Generator is STPT, and with your first target waypoint already selected, you simply slave all sensors to your SPI, aka your waypoint.

I mean, if it works for you, that's great and all, but this sounds a lot like one of the instant action missions, and I doubt this exact procedure would be much help under different circumstances.

Edit:

Is it possible to rename existing markpoint?

Not to my knowledge, though I'm not 100% sure.

That's... nice... but why? What do you gain from that? Since you already have waypoints on targets, why put additional markpoints on them? I don't see any upside whatsoever.

Also, in regards to terminology:

"Set China Hat forward long to select start point as SPI"

Nope. China Hat Forward Long slaves all sensors to SPI.

By default, your SPI Generator is STPT, and with your first target waypoint already selected, you simply slave all sensors to your SPI, aka your waypoint.

I mean, if it works for you, that's great and all, but this sounds a lot like one of the instant action missions, and I doubt this exact procedure would be much help under different circumstances.

Edit:

Not to my knowledge, though I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for the terminology correction!

Why it works for me is that once set, I can look at the TAD and see WP and MP without having to take my hand off the HOTAS. Maybe I'm just clumsy but, while in combat I want to see at a glance which way to go by referring to the TAD. For me if helps my situational awareness and is faster than having to constantly toggle between Markpoint and Waypoint modes.

Maybe if a was better or had your situational awareness I would agree with you, but as a relative noobie this works for me in the Csar mission.

I want to be able to view mark points and waypoints simultaneously on TAD, so I can see where they are relative to one another.

There plenty of information on how to create a waypoints using L/L in the CDU, but there must be an easier way!

My initial thought was to convert mark points to waypoint, but seems no easy way to accomplish this task.

Maybe there's a more direct way, help appreciated.

It would be nice if the Flight Plan mode had the ability to add and show markpoints as an overlay, which could be hidden by a filter ie something like declutter.

[...] this works for me in the Csar mission.

If I understand you correctly, you just place markpoints at your already existing waypoints.

In that case, you could stay clear of the markpoints altogether and just stick to waypoints. Or in other words, it sounds like you've found a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :smartass:

As soon as you have additional markpoints that don't correspond to waypoints, it makes sense to have all waypoints as markpoints as well in order to be able to stay on one database, that's true. :thumbup:

Generally speaking, if it helps you to keep up your SA, then it's great! It just seemed as if you were making things more complicated than necessary.

If I understand you correctly, you just place markpoints at your already existing waypoints.

Correct!

In that case, you could stay clear of the markpoints altogether and just stick to waypoints. Or in other words, it sounds like you've found a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :smartass:

In a mission there are usually multiple targets, once I find one I continue looking for others since often I'm not in a position to attack but can continue looking and markpointing any I find. I want to know where are threats (SAMs et al) relative to my targets, and which way is the safest way to egress.

You are better than me at SA, or my approach to assessing the battlefield is completely wrong. I just want to know where the targets and threats are in addition to my "safe" or egress points. I thought this was just basic planning.

Separating your flight path from threats and targets on two separate maps just seems to make rapid decisions based on 2 maps a slower process.

In a mission there are usually multiple targets, once I find one I continue looking for others since often I'm not in a position to attack but can continue looking and markpointing any I find.

Okay, I get it. Yes, that makes sense of course.

Is it possible to rename existing markpoint? I thought it was possible but I suspect not since seems number of MPs limited to letters A-Y.

Yes it is. After you have made mark point for all your targets (in this axample A, B & C), shift Aux. Avionics Panel PAGE knob into WAYPT.

Now call up mark point A by typing A into the scratch pad and press L3 on the CDU to call up mark point A, type in the new name e.g. TGT.A and press R3. Mark point A has now been renamed to TGT.A

Now call up mark point B by typing B into the scratch pad and press L3 on the CDU to call up mark point B, type in the new name e.g. TGT.B and press R3. Mark point B has now been renamed to TGT.B

Quick poor recording

Cheers

Solo

Edited by Hansolo
  • Like 1

Yes it is. After you have made mark point for all your targets (in this axample A, B & C), shift Aux. Avionics Panel PAGE knob into WAYPT.

Now call up mark point A by typing A into the scratch pad and press L3 on the CDU to call up mark point A, type in the new name e.g. TGT.A and press R3. Mark point A has now been renamed to TGT.A

Now call up mark point B by typing B into the scratch pad and press L3 on the CDU to call up mark point B, type in the new name e.g. TGT.B and press R3. Mark point B has now been renamed to TGT.B

Quick poor recording

Cheers

Solo

Thats great Mr Solo! Does this allow you to get by the 26 markpoint limit?

Thank you!

It should because you are saving off those markpoints into a different data base. You will wrap around to Markpoint A again though at 27 marks.

Correction: Markpoints start over again after 25 because "Z" is always point of last weapon use...

Edited by Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Interesting Hansolo, thanks! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb