DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

If reducing the size can cause issues, make it some option? Having stutters? Use the large buffers option. Otherwise default small(er) ones.

E: Maybe ASIO(4all) would be a good way to get the lowest latency.

Yeah I currently use wave in and wave out but going to try asio this weekend. Will try to make it an option under advanced where you can try different options as I think asio isn't supported by all sound cards.

Need to do some more research.

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Can someone explain me how the 'Line of Sight' and the 'Distance Limitations' works in 1.5.4? Does it means that propagation of radio waves are somehow simulated?

Exactly that, the wave propagation is modelled but for ease the transmission is assumed to radiate in all directions perfectly.

If two planes have a direct line of sight the distance is calculated and then using the friis equation the received power is calculated. If the received power is greater than -90dBm then the transmission can be heard and you'll hear it.

Example with working shown below. Remember distance also includes the difference in height if aircraft are not co altitude.

So we have two Aircraft Transmitting with Line of Sight

Distance: 1000m (calculated by SRS)

Rx Antenna Gain: 1 dBm

Tx Antenna Gain: 1 dBm

Frequency: 100 MHz (taken from Radio)

Wavelength: 2.9979m

Transmission power: 10Watts / 40 dBm (From https://tsc-60.cellmail.com/tsc-60/TSC-118/rtn_ncs_products_arc164_pdf.pdf)

Therefore with Friis equation: Received power is -30.4434 dBm and can be easily heard by the receiver

Radio Sensitivity is down to: -101dBm (again from link above)

Handy calculator here: http://www.everythingrf.com/rf-calculators/friis-transmission-calculator

So the defaults for all transmissions for now will be:

10 W transmitter

Rx Antenna Gain: 1 dBm

Tx Antenna Gain: 1 dBm

Rx Sensitivity: -90 dBm

Each transmission will have its received power calculated based on the Friis equation with the correct frequency and distance taken into account

Edit: Reducing Sensitivity to -90dBm to simulate some loss

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Thanks for your explanation - i couldn't find it earlier.

Does the terrain have any impact on radio transmission? If not, will it be modeled in future?

Yes it determines line of sight. One page back... :)

Distance Limit - For every transmission, the power of the received transmission is calculated (Friis Equation) based on radio power and the transmitting frequency. If the received transmission is under -90dBm, the transmission wont be heard. This setting is server side enforced.

Line of Sight - Line of sight between the player and all other players is calculated ever 0.2 seconds or so. If you're transmitting and dive into a valley, you may find transmissions cut off mid sentence! :) Again server side enforced. The line of sight is actually slightly offset above the aircraft to simulate radio waves slightly bending around the edge of the terrain

If it gets too complicated with the ASIO stuff perhaps you could/should focus more on the other stuff. Static/noise, roger beeps, JTAC etc.etc.

Had a go, unless you've got a good audio card there aren't ASIO drivers you can just use with NAudio in C#. I've tuned the buffers a bit and I'm going to add some more settings so people can tweak if they wish.

Hey Ciribob, sending this PURELY for inspiration purposes. :music_whistling:

First short vid (45 secs) I'm using two programs here: Aries (mic clicks, distance effects, LoS). The second was Crosstalk to produce the radio voice effect. In this vid I'm listening to comms ~100nm away on Victor.

Second vid, same flight, but I'm now within 500ft of the speaker.

Again.... again... purely inspiration ;)

Of course, we had to stop using Aries for the known stability issues, but alas, quality was pleasing. There's also plenty of really good Youtube BMS examples of solid "effects" should you be so inclined.

Thats actually really helpful :)

Ciribob,

Here are some KY-58 and ARC-164 tones for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2087560/KY58_ARC164_TONES.zip

There are TX and RX example for the KY-58 comms to demonstrate how the sounds fit.

Thanks again for these Eddie, I'm working on getting these in to the next release along with the Gazelle Intercom. Might also have the PTT tones as well. :)

Quick Summary of Next Release - Likely next weekend:

• Optimise Buffer sizes to reduce latency
  • Add KY-58 Encryption and Decryption Audio for all Encrypted Transmissions
  • Add Mic click
  • Add end of transmission click (is there a proper name for this?)
  • Add Gazelle Intercom

After that (might change):

• Connection history and favourites system
  • Noise due to transmission distance. As distance increases, noise will increase and voice volume will decrease

Hope the Line of Sight system is working well for everyone! :)

• Add Mic click
  • Add Gazelle Intercom

• Noise due to transmission distance. As distance increases, noise will increase and voice volume will decrease

That sounds wonderful Ciribob. And yes, the LoS is working as expected. :thumbup:

Add end of transmission click (is there a proper name for this?)

Maybe you could append a bit of louder noise where the squelch would kick in. Or did you have plans for the squelch already? :)

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

Thanks again for these Eddie, I'm working on getting these in to the next release along with the Gazelle Intercom. Might also have the PTT tones as well. :)

• Add Mic click
  • Add Gazelle Intercom

Perfect!!!

Not so well.

Just yesterday, our pilots going in to the air (me being one of them - A) encountered a rather nasty thing that in my opinion (but I can stand corrected) should not happen.

I believe that image will serve best:

A had clear comms with B

C had clear comms with B

A and C had no comms until C was approaching taxiway golf (out of LOLA on charlie)

_area.jpg?raw=1

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

Not so well.

Just yesterday, our pilots going in to the air (me being one of them - A) encountered a rather nasty thing that in my opinion (but I can stand corrected) should not happen.

A had clear comms with B

C had clear comms with B

A and C had no comms until C was approaching taxiway golf (out of LOLA on charlie)

Hi Nu-NRG, as far as I can see all the above would be correct and expected at this stage of SR development but then of course I'm not Cb...

A <> B should be in comms. LOS is taken from a point above the aircraft to simulate terrain bending. The barriers between the aircraft may not be seen as 'terrain'. So A <> B Comms is good.

A <> C comms are terrain masked as you clearly marked and then you get COMMS when unmasked, again as expected with LOS calculations. How Cb's calculations mimic RL is another issue. Looking at the image for A <> C when masked and very roughly comparing to RL and minimal antenna gain if any, VHF probably would get through okay but UHF could may well not. But of course freq and modulation are not truly in the mix yet.

SIGBLOCK.png

That sounds pretty odd. Would you mind posting your DirectX Diagnostic file? (http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1271)

Could you also post a screenshot of the SRS client window with all the input choices listed?

Hi Ciribob, Sorry for the late response, attached are the DirectX diagnostic file and a screenshot of the SRS client window. Thanks you for your help.

DxDiag.txt

SRSClient.thumb.jpg.10209565cbed5a711bb566e9ee80fbab.jpg

Perfect!!!

Not so well.

A had clear comms with B

C had clear comms with B

_area.jpg?raw=1

Weirdly that shows the LOS system is working exactly right as your transmissions would be missing each other completely as Gizzy says.

Whether that's correct IRL behaviour, I don't know and I assume not (lots of reflection as you're very close) but I can tweak the amount of "bend" on the radio waves.

Would you mind doing an experiment for me?

If you open up your DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua in the scripts directory, check this line:

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone/blob/master/Scripts/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua#L302

table.insert(_result,{id = _client.id, los = terrain.isVisible(SR.lastKnownPos.x,SR.lastKnownPos.y+3.0,SR.lastKnownPos.z,_client.x,_client.y+3.0,_client.z) })

You'll see there are two +3.0 in the line. Change those to +5.0 and get your friend to transmit again and see if you can hear him. Make sure to reload the mission if you make changes so DCS picks up the changes.

That +3 is a point 3 meters above the center point of your aircraft and if you find a better value that works, say +5.0 then I'll add that in the next release for a little more radio bending :)

Annoyingly, there is now way to determine how far off Line of sight you are, just whether you have LOS or not without doing a lot more calculations and slowing down DCS.

Hi Ciribob, Sorry for the late response, attached are the DirectX diagnostic file and a screenshot of the SRS client window. Thanks you for your help.

Thanks I'll take a look! Just from the screenshot, I see you have an occulus rift, have you tried using that microphone instead and disabling the other one on the sound panel in windows (so its not even listed as an option to SRS)?

Sorry for the trouble

Thanks I'll take a look! Just from the screenshot, I see you have an occulus rift, have you tried using that microphone instead and disabling the other one on the sound panel in windows (so its not even listed as an option to SRS)?

Sorry for the trouble

Yea i tried disabling the rift mic in the recording devices, also tried to use the rifts microphone as the source and disable the other mic, for some reason when I use the rift as a sound input it doesn't transmit at all for me, while working for team speak still. Also tried to just unplug the rift as well...but still same problem. When i speak, i can hear my self speak through after like a 1 second delay echo, while my wingman end up hearing me replay 2-3 times on their headset. Hope that helps, thanks a lot.

Edited by Redacuragsr

Yea i tried disabling the rift mic in the recording devices, also tried to use the rifts microphone as the source and disable the other mic, for some reason when I use the rift as a sound input it doesn't transmit at all for me, while working for team speak still. Also tried to just unplug the rift as well...but still same problem. When i speak, i can hear my self speak through after like a 1 second delay echo, while my wingman end up hearing me replay 2-3 times on their headset. Hope that helps, thanks a lot.

That seems very strange. What happens if you try the Preview Audio button on the DCS-SRS Client with your Rift Mic selected. Do you hear ok then?

It also sounds like somewhere you've got "Listen to microphone" ticked which is usually under the sound panel in Windows somewhere. Do you have any other audio effects software that might conflict?

There is genuinely no code other than the preview audio button that will send your audio from the mic, back to your speakers so this is very puzzling...

Update

In other news - Does this sound ok for Mic click on and off and the encryption audio?

Not got the Radio effects for Receiving in yet.

Edited by Ciribob

Hi Ciribo

Will SRS be inoperative if the a/c radio device malfunctioned, e.g. battle damage or random failure

I7-6700K OC 4.9G, 896G SSD, 32G RAM @ 2400MHz, NH-D15 cooling system,TM Hotas Warthog,Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals,TrackIr 5, BOSE M2

Sounds pretty cool! :)

Great! I'll work on the RX sounds which are the tricky ones... :)

Hi Ciribo

Will SRS be inoperative if the a/c radio device malfunctioned, e.g. battle damage or random failure

Already in for Non FC3 as DCS does it for me! The best one is a Huey. Turn on all 3 radios then fly at some soldiers, once they've hit your nose and belly you'll see that the radio frequencies are reading 0 on the overlay as they been damaged. Same for Random Failure :)

Edited by Ciribob

Already in for Non FC3 as DCS does it for me! The best one is a Huey. Turn on all 3 radios then fly at some soldiers, once they've hit your nose and belly you'll see that the radio frequencies are reading 0 on the overlay as they been damaged. Same for Random Failure :)

That's really cool!

:thumbup:

I7-6700K OC 4.9G, 896G SSD, 32G RAM @ 2400MHz, NH-D15 cooling system,TM Hotas Warthog,Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals,TrackIr 5, BOSE M2

ASIO4ALL

Ciribob

I don't know if this helps but I use VB Voicemeeter to manage my audio and when I moved to Win10 I had to install ASIO4ALL as there weren't suitable drivers for Voicemeeter in Win10.

Perhaps there could be something in ASIO4ALL that might help.

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

Great news about the KY-58 audio. I've always heard the "end of transmission click" refered to as "Squelch Tail" since it's unchecked audio from the receiver making it way to the speakers before the squelch circuits activate to stop the noise. It's more of a white noise "pop" than a "click"....

Thanks for all your hard work Ciribob!

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Great! I'll work on the RX sounds which are the tricky ones... :)

Ya know features like this are great... But a little confusing when testing in a live environment!

Last day of blue flag I was flying along in a Huey and got shot up. When I couldn't make contact with my wingman I assumed SRS had crapped out. It wasn't until we got on teamspeak I realized SR was fine...MY RADIOS WERE BOLOXED!

Well played sir...well played!

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.