New i9 9900k Rift in VR

dburne

A 9700k and a 2070/80 are in my future... That should be an "upgrade"...

:thumbup:

Indeed it will !

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Are you saying I should reinstall my rift on my new rig ? (Signature)

Tempting...

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Well I would if I had that rig, damn.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yeah seriously... Give it another go... It should at least run smooth...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

what spec on the ti card gives it the better performance edge over the non-ti card for DCS, the 3 extra gigs of memory or the higher clock speeds?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

what spec on the ti card gives it the better performance edge over the non-ti card for DCS, the 3 extra gigs of memory or the higher clock speeds?

The price,.. :P

Not that simple different GPU's with different features.

2080 info here

2080Ti specs here

2080 uses TU104.400A-A1 8GB GDDR6

2080Ti uses TU102-300A K1 A 11GB GDDR6

As such comparing raw clock frequencies is not helpful the Ti has more of everything packed into it.

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hmmm to update or not to update? I’m currently on a I7 5930K@4.6Ghz / 1080ti. I was under the impression that going to a 9900K / 2080ti would only marginally improve my VR experience: currently running pd1.2, AAx16, shadows low, MSAAx2 (rift cv1)

I am currently expericing some issues with my X99 motherboard but I have a 9600K and Asus Z390 Prime mobo coming should have it by maybe Monday I'll try and OC hopefully to 5GHz (if the silicon lottery is kind to me :) ) but until recently I was running 4.7Ghz OC on my 5930 and 2.4Ghz DRAM all 8 slots which improves memory speed it's now back down to 2133.

The performance difference going back down in CPU clock rates is noticeable especially say 4.7 to 4.5Ghz. Don't forget whilst it's only 200Mhz different that's on all cores admittedly DCS may not use all cores but Rift and other stuff does.

Oh and what puny memory throughput these 9th Gen CPU's have and only 2 memory channels not to mention only 16PCI lanes. :P

Oh and there is some madness in my method the new build will be my partners but I'll do some serious testing of it whilst my X99 pro goes back for evaluation and hopefully replacement. :thumbup:

A side question are you able to run XMP with your X99?? As that is one thing this mobo has never done.

Edited by FragBum
<typo> and corrected the numbers doh!

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Dburne, are you using the shader mod?

No I do not run any mods.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

dburne,

would you post of screen shot of your DCS >Options >System settings please?

jv77k6R.jpg

Running PD of 1.50 for my Rift.

Don B

So what would you all say is the most important upgrade for me? Just upgrading to a 1080ti card or the combination of a newer chip & ti card?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

Can anyone help answer my question please?

Can anyone help answer my question please?

I have the same cpu as you and with my 1080ti I don't drop below 45fps flying at tree top height over Normandy. A couple of thousand feet and I'm getting between 70 and 90fps. Locked at 90 over the sea and at high altitudes.

Oculus Rift at 1.4 pd and pretty much the same in-game settings as Don.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I have the same cpu as you and with my 1080ti I don't drop below 45fps flying at tree top height over Normandy. A couple of thousand feet and I'm getting between 70 and 90fps. Locked at 90 over the sea and at high altitudes.

Oculus Rift at 1.4 pd and pretty much the same in-game settings as Don.

Thank you for that info. It was really helpful. There's a Gigabyte 1080ti for $500 on craigslist near me. I was thinking about getting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally broke down and bought my i9 9900k, z390 mobo, and m2 Drive. My previous build was i7 6700k @4.7GHz & 850 Pro SSD. The case the i9 comes in is a little overkill but it's nice though. :) After some stress tests, I have it stable @5.2GHz & 1.425v right now, but I haven't tried any higher yet. The only benefit I've noticed with the m2 drive so far is when I copied my old DCS folder(~155Gb) to the new location which took a few minutes. However, I haven't noticed any loading improvements though. Caucasus still takes the longest, and the initial shader load still took a while. Starting up on the Stennis, the fps were about the same as before between 30-47 fps. Probably because I'm still using the animated deck crew and parked static planes. I started flying and I had absolutely NO STUTTERS. I couldn't believe how smooth it was. I would always get these random stutters which got worse with version 2.5.4. I only got half way through the mission though, because, unfortunately for me, my Cougar gimbal broke.:cry: If I can't find any spare parts for this old Cougar, I'll look into getting a Warthog, which means my 2080ti purchase has been delayed.:cry:

Edited by pimp

I finally broke down and bought my i9 9900k, z390 mobo, and m2 Drive. My previous build was i7 6700k @4.7GHz & 850 Pro SSD. The case the i9 comes in is a little overkill but it's nice though. :) After some stress tests, I have it stable @5.2GHz & 1.425v right now, but I haven't tried any higher yet. The only benefit I've noticed with the m2 drive so far is when I copied my old DCS folder(~155Gb) to the new location which took a few minutes. However, I haven't noticed any loading improvements though. Caucasus still takes the longest, and the initial shader load still took a while. Starting up on the Stennis, the fps were about the same as before between 30-47 fps. Probably because I'm still using the animated deck crew and parked static planes. I started flying and I had absolutely NO STUTTERS. I couldn't believe how smooth it was. I would always get these random stutters which got worse with version 2.5.4. I only got half way through the mission though, because, unfortunately for me, my Cougar gimbal broke.:cry: If I can't find any spare parts for this old Cougar, I'll look into getting a Warthog, which means my 2080ti purchase has been delayed.:cry:

Nice rig!

I will say though the 2080 Ti complements the setup nicely.

:smilewink:

5.2 GHz is nice, keep an eye on those core temps though at that voltage. They do tend to run on the hot side.

Don B

Hey Pimp if this is the same Cougar, just in case you have not seen it here's is a 3d printed one. Of course just a FYI I would not hold anybody back from buying new equipment.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195464

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia control panel

jv77k6R.jpg

Running PD of 1.50 for my Rift.

I have almost the same rig as you I9 9900k Asus z390 mobo 32GB 3200Mhzh ram.

And also exact same settings, but im using 1024 i cockpit resolution.

No OC so far, but might try it later? Did you see any fps improvement when OC? I mean i have steady 45 now almost all the time!

Also do you think i should turn off hyperthreading in Bios?

Its super smooth in the rift! Have you done some tweaking in Nvidia control panel?

Edited by Kristoffer79

I have almost the same rig as you I9 9900k Asus z390 mobo 32GB 3200Mhzh ram.

And also exact same settings, but im using 1024 i cockpit resolution.

Its super smooth in the rift! Have you done some tweaking in Nvidia control panel?

No all I set in Nvidia Control Panel is "Prefer Maximum Performance" for the DCS profile.

Don B

Nice rig!

I will say though the 2080 Ti complements the setup nicely.

:smilewink:

5.2 GHz is nice, keep an eye on those core temps though at that voltage. They do tend to run on the hot side.

I know I know. The 2080ti was the main reason I started this expensive journey. :) I'm definitely keeping an eye on the temps considering I have an old version of the h100i cooler. Right now I have 5.2 on all cores, but I might do a per core OC with just the first two cores at 5.2 and the others at 5.1 or 5.0 since DCS only uses the first two cores. I've read you can get better temps that way, but I'll see how it goes.

I know I know. The 2080ti was the main reason I started this expensive journey. :) I'm definitely keeping an eye on the temps considering I have an old version of the h100i cooler. Right now I have 5.2 on all cores, but I might do a per core OC with just the first two cores at 5.2 and the others at 5.1 or 5.0 since DCS only uses the first two cores. I've read you can get better temps that way, but I'll see how it goes.

I am a little surprised you can run that voltage with that cooler. I have the H150i Pro and my cores were way too hot trying to get the voltage up for 5.2 GHz.

However I am running a diff motherboard and adaptive on voltage rather than a fixed voltage.

Don B

I am a little surprised you can run that voltage with that cooler. I have the H150i Pro and my cores were way too hot trying to get the voltage up for 5.2 GHz.

However I am running a diff motherboard and adaptive on voltage rather than a fixed voltage.

Sorry, I forgot to update my mobo in my sig. I have the Asus ROG Strix E-Gaming. I am also surprised at my cooler. I was this close to getting a newer cooler but so far so good. On a stress test I got up to 80 degrees, but it still passed. What's your definition of "way too hot"?

Hey Pimp if this is the same Cougar, just in case you have not seen it here's is a 3d printed one. Of course just a FYI I would not hold anybody back from buying new equipment.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195464

Thank you for the info. I'll check it out.

Good rig, I'd really wouldn't use 1.425V with those chips. If you're one of those people flying every day or every second day after work and hours on the weekend I would not go over 1.3875 or 1.4V if you don't want chip degradation and buy a new one in just a year or so.