Some question about AIM-54 and AIM-7?

FWind

• 4 months later...

By the way, one Question to the Sparrow Missile: Which Version of the Sparrow can our DCS Tomcat carry? Only the AIM-7E-4 Version? Or maybe a newer version?

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Yeah, we will eventually have the AIM-7E2 up to the AIM-7M.

And the AIM-54A uses pulse doppler illumination, that's the normal mode for it when not set to active at launch.

Which mode the AIM-54 use CW illumination?

Edited by FWind

Yeah, we will eventually have the AIM-7E2 up to the AIM-7M.

And the AIM-54A uses pulse doppler illumination, that's the normal mode for it when not set to active at launch.

You're right and this makes sense given the -54A was compatible with PDSTT.

Nice thing about selectable CW illumination is you can fake a launch without actually launching a missile. Can be very useful

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Nice thing about selectable CW illumination is you can fake a launch without actually launching a missile.

If the switch is in the NORM position, does the WCS always trigger CW illumination no matter the AIM-7 variant carried?

I guess the monopulse seeker in the later Sparrow variants can lock on to CW illumination as well, but if the WCS follows the same CW illumination/launch logic, does e.g. the AIM-7M seeker then needs to be locked on to the target before it can be launched (as this would shorten the maximum launch range)?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

If the switch is in the NORM position, does the WCS always trigger CW illumination no matter the AIM-7 variant carried?

I guess the monopulse seeker in the later Sparrow variants can lock on to CW illumination as well, but if the WCS follows the same CW illumination/launch logic, does e.g. the AIM-7M seeker then needs to be locked on to the target before it can be launched (as this would shorten the maximum launch range)?

Yes, the later sparrows afaik were also capable of using CW as a kind of fall-back mode. And yes, in NORM CW will be used, you have to set it to SP PD to use pulse doppler.

That said, an rwr will still be able to see the AWG-9 doing "new" stuff indicating a missile launch so the effect in DCS will mostle be missile range.

The AIM-7 PD works differently than the AIM-54 which only requires momentary illumination and commands from the AWG-9, the AIM-7 is used in STT and requires constand PD updates and illumination.

That said, an rwr will still be able to see the AWG-9 doing "new" stuff indicating a missile launch so the effect in DCS will mostle be missile range.

the AIM-7 is used in STT and requires constand PD updates and illumination.

Yeah, I'm aware that AIM-7 requires an STT lock (except in FLOOD mode), but I specifically stated seeker lock before launch (LOBL) which is a different thing.

So, just to reiterate, if I launch an AIM-7M in CW mode, I presume there would be no mid-course updates sent via PD mode and the missile seeker would then require a direct lock to target (which shortens the launch range to e.g. 20 km for a fighter sized target)?

Because, normally, AIM-7M flies to an intercept point and receives corrections until it reaches the estimated seeker range where it activates the seeker and tries to lock on to the illuminated target (so, the seeker is in LOAL mode at ranges beyond its lock range), but I'm wondering what happens with it in CW mode.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yeah, I'm aware that AIM-7 requires an STT lock (except in FLOOD mode), but I specifically stated seeker lock before launch (LOBL) which is a different thing.

So, just to reiterate, if I launch an AIM-7M in CW mode, I presume there would be no mid-course updates sent via PD mode and the missile seeker would then require a direct lock to target (which shortens the launch range to e.g. 20 km for a fighter sized target)?

Because, normally, AIM-7M flies to an intercept point and receives corrections until it reaches the estimated seeker range where it activates the seeker and tries to lock on to the illuminated target (so, the seeker is in LOAL mode at ranges beyond its lock range), but I'm wondering what happens with it in CW mode.

Afaik, in CW it's pure CW, so no PD updates.

Afaik, in CW it's pure CW, so no PD updates.

That's what I thought, thanks.

But, then, the maximum launch range should be shorter as the seeker needs to get a lock on before launch, which begs the question if this could (and would) be simulated in DCS? :)