Former Hornet Pilots Fly Together in DCS (in VR)

Mover

Gonky and I tried a flight together in DCS: F/A-18 in multiplayer, this time we both used VR. The results were much different than the first video.

And here's Gonky's take.

Hope you all enjoy it! Thanks for the feedback from the last videos!

Thanks so much for the video. I really enjoyed and glad you got to try it out in VR. Love the videos. Hope to see more.

Thanks

Thanks fellas... having only ever been a sim pilot .... it’s good to hear how the tech and software compares to the life it’s modelled on.....

IMHO VR and the immersion it brings takes flight sims to the next level... Having come from key presses to look around modding the PS3 Cam, then TrackIR to VR, yes you lose resolution but once you try it I reckon you’ll be hooked.....

Jim

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great videos and cool respectful debrief on each others performance.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Nice.

So, did ED find out what caused F-18 to be that draggy and underperforming on high AOA?

Some of it might be classified. If you watch some blue angels video's, they are really talky during the high alfa.

The drag is a unknown for me.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One thing I noticed that Gonky said in his video was that the speedbrake isn’t used in the break? (23:30 in the video)

I think that this is the first time I’ve heard that?

Great videos, looked like fun was had!

Short brakes are done by simply pulling the stick really hard to bleed off speed.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

comment in the video on dogfighting:

"In the real FA-18 it's much easier to aim guns. The movements of stick versus target are a lot more precise .. " (in so many words)

Hint?

Awesome plane DCS

(BTW I can hardly believe dogfighting can be a thing in 2018 like in Korea or even Vietnam - more by accidental run-ins on RTB then anything else - , it's all missiles now or nothing, or perhaps strafing a civilian)

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Hey Mover, so great to see you two actually enjoying playing our hobby! You know watching the first video you posted, a little part of me died inside watching you struggle with the interfaces of the sim, thinking just a bit more time setting up your switchology and interfaces would have made you a little less frustrated. But it seems someone set you up a little better this time around and you and your friend could have a blast this time around!

With the lack of external inputs (G, buffet etc), it's pretty hard to notice you are falling out of the sky in a sim, but it comes with practice! We have to make up with other senses like the audio and lots of reference to aoa and ias. Since Eagle Dynamics gave us the JHMCS we now have speed and AoA in our faces off boresight so we can get a bit better at managing the aircraft without those external sensations.

Welcome to the VR club, glad you can moan with us about resolution and look forward to the next VR generation!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed the vids. Especially from real world Bug drivers.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Gonky and I tried a flight together in DCS: F/A-18 in multiplayer, this time we both used VR. The results were much different than the first video.

And here's Gonky's take.

Hope you all enjoy it! Thanks for the feedback from the last videos!

Thanks for your insight mover it’s great to get feedback from people with experience of flying the hornet.

Pixel density in DCS VR settings will improve the clarity of visuals in cockpit but of course the greater the pixel density the more powerful your PC needs to be.

One thing I have as well is a long extension on my warthog stick. Since getting it I could never go back to the standard warthog stick, the precision it provides in my opinion is so much better I would urge everybody to try it. I’m sure as you pointed out in your video that you will never replicate what it’s like to feel the real stick in the Hornet. But it’s an improvement.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Hey Mover, so great to see you two actually enjoying playing our hobby! You know watching the first video you posted, a little part of me died inside watching you struggle with the interfaces of the sim, thinking just a bit more time setting up your switchology and interfaces would have made you a little less frustrated. But it seems someone set you up a little better this time around and you and your friend could have a blast this time around!

With the lack of external inputs (G, buffet etc), it's pretty hard to notice you are falling out of the sky in a sim, but it comes with practice! We have to make up with other senses like the audio and lots of reference to aoa and ias. Since Eagle Dynamics gave us the JHMCS we now have speed and AoA in our faces off boresight so we can get a bit better at managing the aircraft without those external sensations.

Welcome to the VR club, glad you can moan with us about resolution and look forward to the next VR generation!

HAHAHAHA.. I know what you mean. When Mover said that he couldn't use the canopy as a quick reference to targets, rule of thumbs of "fist height", can't padlock, etc., I was crying out, but...but...but in VR is so much easier!

I'm glad they got another chance. The "Holy $hit this looks real" was all I need to hear. We can't ever solve the lack of G (even with sim/vibration chairs) or buffeting of the aircraft, but everything else is getting closer to reality. VR resolution is getting better ever 18 months or so (DK1, DK2, CV1) so the next version should be exciting.

They sure looked smooth, especially when they RTB'd and did the final CCRP/CCIP? drop.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'd love to see you guys in a few months from now after maybe having a chance to get more comfortable with the Sim. As pilots in reality, you literally flew by the seat of your pants, or should I say flew by feeling the forces (maybe that makes you Jedi's). The longer you fly a sim, the more you build up other senses. However, I don't know if this is bad to do for someone who is still flying as you are.

I would like to make this my next investment

https://www.yawvr.com

It looks like a great bit of kit and folds away nicely.

Not sure I could use a warthog with an extension with it though sadly.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Blue Angels jets are stripped of all unnecessary equipment and are much lighter, and much sleeker than a fleet standard Hornet. It takes time for the real pilots to adjust from the drag change when they start training as a Blue.

Airframe is the same ...and it is a big factor in the aoa arena. I stand by my claim :)

Edit: might be slightly better on a blue angel jet but not by much (10% ish)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That looks AWESOME. My only skepticism is that in all the videos I didn't see them use a HOTAS that is attached to a desktop.

They got a giant fat guy to demonstrate the weight, they had another dude doing some 360 stuff with a laptop literally in his lap but nothing external.

Until I see them, or someone does a review where they show me that you aren't winding your cord(s) to death with a 360-degree chair I'm hesitant. I don't really see how you could avoid that short of a software restriction that limits you to 180 degrees or something forward or just buying like a 70ft+ USB cable so it won't matter.

Even if it could support necessary G-forces adequately (which it doesn't ofc), this particulary thing is flimsy and wobbly. As a toy for kids, probably ($1100 toy?), but anything serious probably better be left out of that thing.

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

Exactly.

In all honesty it takes some time to get comfortable with DCS as a sim. We learn from the SIM up. Pilots have to unlearn stuff - amazing how many of them can't remember where stuff is. It makes sense, you would just use the tool IRL and have muscle memory. Take the Harrier pilot on Lex's last video for instance... It does take a while before you make the sim input's your own and learn to drive better. Since we begin with the interface, spend an age binding (my process lasts over many sessions), we naturally zoom ahead on very basic stuff.

What we want to see, is once all that is overcome, what got unlearned, what made sense, because pilots every time, instantly complain about the interfaces being "wrong". This was apparent with Mover, Lex, Lex's Harrier friend, a Wags episode on the fighter podcast with another Hornet driver. And that is a big put off for pilots to prevent them getting into DCS as a sim. And I get it... it's not real, it's not the same, barrier up...

HAHAHAHA.. I know what you mean. When Mover said that he couldn't use the canopy as a quick reference to targets, rule of thumbs of "fist height", can't padlock, etc., I was crying out, but...but...but in VR is so much easier!

I'm glad they got another chance. The "Holy $hit this looks real" was all I need to hear. We can't ever solve the lack of G (even with sim/vibration chairs) or buffeting of the aircraft, but everything else is getting closer to reality. VR resolution is getting better ever 18 months or so (DK1, DK2, CV1) so the next version should be exciting.

They sure looked smooth, especially when they RTB'd and did the final CCRP/CCIP? drop.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Exactly.

In all honesty it takes some time to get comfortable with DCS as a sim. We learn from the SIM up. Pilots have to unlearn stuff - amazing how many of them can't remember where stuff is. It makes sense, you would just use the tool IRL and have muscle memory. Take the Harrier pilot on Lex's last video for instance... It does take a while before you make the sim input's your own and learn to drive better. Since we begin with the interface, spend an age binding (my process lasts over many sessions), we naturally zoom ahead on very basic stuff.

What we want to see, is once all that is overcome, what got unlearned, what made sense, because pilots every time, instantly complain about the interfaces being "wrong". This was apparent with Mover, Lex, Lex's Harrier friend, a Wags episode on the fighter podcast with another Hornet driver. And that is a big put off for pilots to prevent them getting into DCS as a sim. And I get it... it's not real, it's not the same, barrier up...

Spot on. Imagine asking Lewis Hamilton to drive in a car racing with Thrustmaster/MadKatz wheels and pedals. LOL. Multiply that by 100 and you quickly understand why it's hard to adapt to sim level hardware.

I once wrote that SIMNET that I trained in 30 years ago was laughingly bad in graphics. But the 1 to 1 replica of the actual Brandley controls is why the training was valuable. As Mover/Gonky put it, simulators are procedural trainer and not really a BFM trainer.

But one can argue that with VR, it's getting closer to leaving the "procedural only" trainer mode.

We just need this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/feel-three-virtual-reality-motion-simulator--2#/

Then this one:

http://maxflight.com/

or

LOL. One can hope. But w/o the G force nailing you to the chair, I can see how it can get annoying fast.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Great stuff! Luv your videos @mover!

Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2