Multiplayer in 2.5 - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
Skarp
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexx View Post
The poll is wrong - poll was probably only filled out by specific type of players, I will show and prove this! Single Player is predictable and boring(if it isn't initially, it will be, items in the same place all the time, same events..), seriously (unless people like to fly by themselves and have a sub par experience - I wouldnt of put as much work into my recent engine if I didn't fully believe this.)
Much like polls of the last U.S. Election. A campaign is not going to motivate me to buy a module but a multiplayer campaign would. Also top corporate management and deciders can always find an analysis that supports their own views. Example is blockbuster thinking it was fine because people liked to read the back of DVD boxes and buy popcorn from them rather than use Netflix. Look at the industry and you'll see multiplayer is the long term money maker.
Skarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #12
levanoga
Member
 
levanoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 123
Default

When DCS 2.5 comes out will DX11 be mandatory or will people still be able to use DX9? Will server owners have to update their servers with a DX11 card?
levanoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
HiJack
Veteran
 
HiJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levanoga View Post
When DCS 2.5 comes out will DX11 be mandatory or will people still be able to use DX9? Will server owners have to update their servers with a DX11 card?
DX11 have been a requirement for a long time.
__________________
Windows 7 64 bit FTW!
My DCS Tools:
Quick Airfield information , Better trim with the X52 Pro , Tacview Glideslopes

Spoiler:

ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket-1150
Intel® Core i7-4770K Processor overclocked to @ 4.20 GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz CL9 4x8GB
Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
Samsung SSD 850PRO 1TB SSD
WD 2TB Black 3,5", SATA64MB Cache, Dual Processor, 7200RPM
Windows 7 64-bit
Philips 40" 4K LED BDM4065UC, ASUS 27” and Dell 24” screens
HiJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #14
NeilWillis
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexx View Post
The poll is wrong - poll was probably only filled out by specific type of players, I will show and prove this!
Well? Let's see this evidence...
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
amazingme
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0ltar View Post
The assumption you have that most people play online isn't true. Most of the DCS World player base is in the single player realm. Us in the multiplayer space just assume that most of the player community is in the multiplayer arena because that is what we do and how we play, but its not the case. There was poll done late last year or sometime this year that asked what type of game play you take part in in DCS and the majority actually said single player.

On the statement of why the servers need to be restarted... That's actually not that uncommon for simulations that have smaller developer bases. ArmA is the same way. It requires server restarts every 3-4 hours which is very similar to DCS. Im not saying what we have is correct, but its not all that uncommon in other games.
I have two words: garbage collectors. The programmers should know better, but my feeling is that.. they don't
__________________
Specs:
Spoiler:
Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, Saitek X55 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 27" monitor, TN panel, 1920x1080

Settings:
Spoiler:
2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5
amazingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
QuiGon
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levanoga View Post
When DCS 2.5 comes out will DX11 be mandatory or will people still be able to use DX9? Will server owners have to update their servers with a DX11 card?
DX11 became mandatory already with the new graphic engine (EDGE) that was introduced with DCS 1.5.
__________________
Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #17
<Blaze>
Senior Member
 
<Blaze>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0ltar View Post
The assumption you have that most people play online isn't true. Most of the DCS World player base is in the single player realm. Us in the multiplayer space just assume that most of the player community is in the multiplayer arena because that is what we do and how we play, but its not the case. There was poll done late last year or sometime this year that asked what type of game play you take part in in DCS and the majority actually said single player.

On the statement of why the servers need to be restarted... That's actually not that uncommon for simulations that have smaller developer bases. ArmA is the same way. It requires server restarts every 3-4 hours which is very similar to DCS. Im not saying what we have is correct, but its not all that uncommon in other games.
Disclaimer: I do not mean this as a bash, just painting a picture of the reality.

It's a catch 22. Many people are not interested in MP because of how bad it has been and how many problems it still has. I remember the days of 1.2.4 where the server crashed every 20 minutes if more than 5 people were flying. If you had more than 10 guys on the 51st or the 104th server and it didn't crash in an hour you considered yourself lucky.

It has been somewhat steadily improving but there are still ways to go. The other end of the problem is that since the vast majority of people are not interested in MP (either because they simply don't care, or the afforementioned issues put them off) it appears to the developers that this is a low priority issue. And then the loop is closed..

Fortunately due to heavy community involvement now we have some more emphasis put on MP and it definitely had a big impact on how it is. Hopefully this will continue

Based on previous updates I'd expect 2.5 MP to be a rough start but I'm sure they'll make it work. Screw it, who cares anyway, to hell with those triangle mountains.
__________________


How do you kill 2 flankers with 1 wing?


A good fighter pilot is either trying to get high or is already high!
<Blaze> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #18
NeilWillis
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,663
Default

You are all aware I am sure that ED has already said a dedicated server is coming. I'm still waiting for any evidence you have to support your utterly spurious claims about multiplayer.

As the last poster said, things are improving, and with the release of 2.5 taking priority for very obvious reasons, with it released, and stable, we can expect movement on other issues - including multiplayer functionality.

Some of us have been flying multiplayer missions for years. It works. But yes, we would welcome the overhaul that has been promised. But what's with the bull about it being what DCS World is all about? For a small minority it might be. Please, stop trying to twist indisputable facts to strengthen your argument. All you are doing is wrecking your credibility.

Unless of course you have this non-existent evidence?
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #19
BIGNEWY
Senior
 
BIGNEWY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hereford, UK
Posts: 14,760
Default

Multiplayer improvements are not part of 2.5.

When ED have more info to share about Multiplayer they will.
__________________
Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA PALIT 1080 8GB, INTEL i7 4790K @4.4 GHz( Cooled by H100i ), 16GB DDR3 , Asus Z97-AR, TM Warthog, Jet provost rudder pedals, DELL Visor WMR
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
0xDEADBEEF
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexx View Post
The poll is wrong - poll was probably only filled out by specific type of players, I will show and prove this! Single Player is predictable and boring(if it isn't initially, it will be, items in the same place all the time, same events..), seriously (unless people like to fly by themselves and have a sub par experience - I wouldnt of put as much work into my recent engine if I didn't fully believe this.)
I really don't think the poll was "wrong" per se, it did collect some good data, and while one could say the majority voted for singleplayer, that assumption is plain wrong. There were three options: SP, MP PvE and MP PvP. SP did get the most votes, but both MP added together were quite a bunch more than pure SP.

Anyway, I am certain it is save to assume, that if we had the promised rewritten netcode and dedicated server already, plus more properly coded dynamic MP missions as they are popping up more and more, we would have a LOT more people in MP.

Currently including myself, many people have opted out of MP, as the frustration-level is just way too high (being dead serious here).

Having a bit of software background I do understand the trouble ED is having with it, and their decision to focus on 2.5 before they touch anythign else. Well with 2.5 just being hours away, my expectations on ED to finally and properly touch MP are through the roof.
0xDEADBEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.