AI can't land if other aircraft are taxiing to runway

This is probably reported here already but I'm going to give it another shot to get it fixed:

Simply put, as the title says, AI is incapable of landing until the other AI taxiing to the runway has departed. Is there really not a "hold short" command in place so that the arriving aircraft can land? Pretty damn immersion breaking when some taxi lengths can exceed several minutes. This is a pretty basic AI atc command that I'm surprised is broken.

https://streamable.com/isfw5

This behavior was replicated on multiple airports, with multiple aircraft, on multiple maps.

Edited by ScopeDope

This is probably reported here already but I'm going to give it another shot to get it fixed:

Simply put, as the title says, AI is incapable of landing until the other AI taxiing to the runway has departed. Is there really not a "hold short" command in place so that the arriving aircraft can land? Pretty damn immersion breaking when some taxi lengths can exceed several minutes. This is a pretty basic AI atc command that I'm surprised is broken.

https://streamable.com/isfw5

This behavior was replicated on multiple airports, with multiple aircraft, on multiple maps.

Hi ScopeDope

As far as I know, it is not broken. Never worked differently in the past.

But you are right. It's a pain when creating a mission with realistic airport traffic.

There is no differentiation between aircraft "over or close to the runway" and aircrafts taxing or hovering beside the runway.

If something is moving on the Airport, any AI refuses to land.

There is a partial solution to that problem.

Block the way of the taxing aircraft with a vehicle at the point (time) the other AI decides to land. After landing move the car and give way to the taxing aircraft so it may continue taxing to the runway.

This combines taxi and landing of aircraft, but it needs a lot of coordination and advanced planning.

Always happy landings ;)

I've reported the issue thousand of times in this forum.

Each times, ED has deaf ears.

I've already tried to block the taxing planes but it doesn't work for me.

I've even tried to block with a cock ( animals mod) not visible from far, while a vehicle is visible. The bird blocks the taxing traffic but the AI planes on final are nonetheless interrupting their approach.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

They're chicken

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

They're chicken

I've used the google translator and it gave me the word "cock" but I realize that this word could have an other.....meaning :poster_oops:

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

Was meant to be a joke:) "chicken" as an american idiom can mean afraid or cowardly

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

As I already said.

For natural Airport, operations are this a big issue.

On the other Hand, think about the tremendous amount of problems related to it.

To solve that problem it comes pretty close to air traffic control.

Just a few thoughts on how to solve this.

1 Every airport needs at least two different zones similar to CAT regulations for IFR approaches.

First:

Apron, parking areas, and Taxiways.

Every Aircraft or vehicle is moving on the Ground not affecting approaching aircraft.

Second:

Runway and parts of the Taxiways leading directly to the Runway.

Every Aircraft or vehicle is moving on the Ground clearly affecting approaching aircraft.

This may be the "easy" part.

But there are Aircraft flying over or around the airport. Every aircraft has to be watched for flight path possible intentions and interference with landing aircraft. Traffic patterns and so one.

There are also helicopters taxing on the ramp or somewhere at the airport but actual flying.

So when we start thinking about a solution, it's pretty soon clear that there is no "easy" solution to that problem and the effort to solve the problem may be not in good relation to the number of airport operations regarding flight time.

I am involved in mission building and me wud love to see a solution to this, but to be fair, I understand if it's not on the priority list.

Does not mean they are not already working on it. The information policy appears insufficient, and from a user perspective, it may be. But there is a simple rule that applies. "Everything you say may be used against you" and it will.

Always happy landings ;)

CHPL

As i've already said me too in other topics about this subject:

It isn't as if the issue has already existed. In some previous version, at 2.2 times, this issue wasn't here. It appeared suddenly in the latest versions of 2.2 just before the release of the 2.5.

So, if the issue wasn't here before, I'm not a programmer, but I could think it would be easy for ED to look back how they'd made at these times and that could give them the solution to fix the issue nowaday to give us back the good behaviour for the AI planes without the need of a big amount of work.

From my experience, the issue is not new.

Did not realize that there are times without that issue. :noexpression:

A Third opinion ( experience ) may be suitable for this topic.:music_whistling:

Always happy landings ;)

I don't remember exactly when the user's mod "civilian planes " with AI liners had been released in its first version but I remember perfectly that I've made missions where these civilian AI had a good behaviour on final approach. When I spoke about a chicken that I activated to stop the AI on waiting point, it was precisely to prevent that an AI on final approach lands on an AI ready to take-off because the AI ready to take-off and reaching the waiting point didn't care about the AI on final. It was the just landed AI which desactivated the bird with a trigger when it reached the end of the runway and the AI blocked on the waiting point was moving again to acces the runway and to take-off. I'd even created a trigger to re-activate the bird if a second AI was just behind at the waiting point. And all was working good. Then one day, just after an update of DCS, all was over and the AI had taken this bad behaviour that wer'e knowing today.

Edited by jef32

I am heavily involved in Mission building for two years now.

So the problem exists even longer.

I understand your frustration about that issue. You may expect to receive at least a confirmation from somebody in that period.

Having the feeling of being ignored is a bad thing. But I am sure that's not the case.

Always happy landings ;)

See my message ( the third) here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=191394&page=23

In the beginning I thought it was an issue with the mod but I quickly understood that it wasn't just the civil planes mod.

That will give you the date of the beginning of the issue, around 17 december 2017. And you can see than other users have noticed the issue at this time, not before.

Edited by jef32

• 1 month later...

AI Fails to Land Test I

The AI will also refuse to land when the Player gets clearance to taxi from ATC.

If the AI is on approach he will break off the landing, when the clearance is made.

Below is a video demonstrating this.

DCS/2.5.3.24436

Log, trk, DxDiag files are attached.

AI Fails to Land Test 1.zip

CPU = Intel i7-6700K

Motherboard = ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, w/ the Intel Z170 Chipset,

RAM = 64 Gigs of Ripjaws V F4-3400C16Q.

GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme

Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2

Coulda swore it was acknowledged in another thread on the subject. Even if it wasn't, this bug was known and reported before it went to live builds because the change happened while testing the updated Black Sea map. At this rate I'm pretty much hanging my hopes on whenever the ATC overhaul happens to apply to AI.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum