HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

OK, so question regarding the reverb settings....... I tried using your 150% today on the global setting and 100% in the DCS application setting and HOLY cow was the visual crisper and more defined. It was almost like looking at a 4K monitor. However, my FPS and CPU framerates were dogshite. I was testing in the NTTR instant action free flight. Over the desert, it was fine, but as soon as I got near the Vegas strip, it started getting choppy and FPS went from a solid 45 down to 30.

I did some experimenting and turned shadows off on both terrain objects and just shadows. It helped a bit but not enough to overcome the stuttering. BTW the stuttering was only really noticeable when looking at 3 or 9 o'clock and was accentuated when rolling while looking out at either wingline.

I also experimented with turning "Legacy Reprojection Mode" both on and off. WHich is the prefered setting for this? BTW, I'm running MSAA Off and AF on 8x.

My rig should be able to easily handle these setting with smooth framerates, so I'm a bit stumped as to why everything is so slow. VrFPS was showing FPS in the 30-36 FPS and GPU frametimes in the 12-17ms range. The CPU frametimes were showing lots of Red.

I'm currently on 2.5.6 OB and am very tempted to roll back to 2.5.5 stable.

Any suggestions?

Yes, 150% requires a bit more resources, but not a huge amount. It is equivalent to a PD of 1.2.

In normal flight, using pretty high settings, I get a solid 45fps with frame times 11-20ms. There are circumstances in 2.5.6 where those figures are blown away and performance is awful. There is something wrong with 2.5.6 and ED have recognised this and are working on it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

MS and AF has to be off with 150-200% SS in Steam VR.

@ micsmotionsimulator

Pointless making a statement of 'fact' on that! Maybe you need to switch these off, but they certainly don't 'have' to be off at all. I don't switch off AF and sometimes have MSAA on as well.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Loading screens usually jump all over the place and do flicker very bad, so I usually have to close my eyes. Is there someting I can do to make this better??

Anyone got a solution for this? Is this standard? With the Rift S I did not have this. And with a Index the loadingscreen only sometimes merged with the SteamVR-horizon. But no flickering and wildly jumpy screen.

This is just how it is for wmr headsets. Until dcs can offer native wmr support. There might be an option to drop you back into steam VR room while loading in the steam settings but it's not ideal either.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Anyone got a solution for this? Is this standard? With the Rift S I did not have this. And with a Index the loadingscreen only sometimes merged with the SteamVR-horizon. But no flickering and wildly jumpy screen.

you can try STEAM -> settings -> video -> fade to grid on app hang -> ON

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

This is just how it is for wmr headsets. Until dcs can offer native wmr support. There might be an option to drop you back into steam VR room while loading in the steam settings but it's not ideal either.

Personally, I don't want native Reverb support in DCS unless it was a switchable option. We would lose functionality if not able to access SteamVR.

Personally, I don't want native Reverb support in DCS unless it was a switchable option. We would lose functionality if not able to access SteamVR.
They would have to make it work so it's switchable for most flexibility. I don't see why activating your headset and adjusting options in steam VR before going into DCS would not be possible anymore.

I have not done any research or testing on how much memory is used when wmr and steam VR are both being used. I bet it's low but I do have my suspicions as last night I attempted to use my Reverb for something other than DCS..which to me was weird.

Upon launching Half Life Alyx I was greeted with an error stating I was low on gpu memory. But I didn't experience any hiccups, lag, or issues. Some screen refresh flashing every once in a while but nothing crazy to say it was giving me problems.

Hence I figured it could just be a bug with this game but then I really started thinking about both steam VR and wmr portal both running.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

They would have to make it work so it's switchable for most flexibility. I don't see why activating your headset and adjusting options in steam VR before going into DCS would not be possible anymore.

I have not done any research or testing on how much memory is used when wmr and steam VR are both being used. I bet it's low but I do have my suspicions as last night I attempted to use my Reverb for something other than DCS..which to me was weird.

Upon launching Half Life Alyx I was greeted with an error stating I was low on gpu memory. But I didn't experience any hiccups, lag, or issues. Some screen refresh flashing every once in a while but nothing crazy to say it was giving me problems.

Hence I figured it could just be a bug with this game but then I really started thinking about both steam VR and wmr portal both running.

SteamVR and WMR take up a very small amount of resources.

Re the warning in Alyx, pretty sure it's a bug or because it actually does use a lot of GPU like DCS, up to 10Gb. So it's right, there isn't much GPU memory left! Not a problem though.

both SteamVR and WMR take "zero" GPU resources when something else is running(it's not like you are running two houses in the background)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

you can try STEAM -> settings -> video -> fade to grid on app hang -> ON

I have that on and I see the same very high Hz flickering and start screen jumping around during loading. I just have to close my eyes to get through it until it loads, or I would be curled up in a ball on the floor with white foam coming out of my mouth in an epileptic seizure. J/k but it IS very uncomfortable. And it is unique to the Reverb, my HTC Vive Pro did not do this at all. <shrug>

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Yes, 150% requires a bit more resources, but not a huge amount. It is equivalent to a PD of 1.2.

In normal flight, using pretty high settings, I get a solid 45fps with frame times 11-20ms. There are circumstances in 2.5.6 where those figures are blown away and performance is awful. There is something wrong with 2.5.6 and ED have recognised this and are working on it.

Thanks. Are you running 2.5.5 then? As I said, I'm very tempted to roll back until the VR issues in .6 get addressed. I was pretty happy with it before I jumped into OB, but that was before I got the Reverb so not able to say definitively that 2.5.5 was fine with the new HMD.

I'll post up my full settings with some screenshots either tonight or tomorrow and let you all look and see if I've got something going on. I've also followed the tutorial on Thud's VR4DCS to optimize windows and that did seem to help run stuff better. But that was a while ago. Not sure if I need to do any other optimization. The whole setup is new, only about 4 months old now and 2 of those months were in transit. The hardware should easily be able to handle this at the settings I'm running, I would have thought. Maybe it caught a virus while the container was sitting in port in China on the way to the US :lol:

Anyway, in the meantime two quick questions.... 1) what does the Anisotropic Filter (AF) setting do? I understand MSAA but don't understand what AF does in DCS. And 2) In Steam VR settings, what does the "Legacy Reprojection mode" do? Should it be ON or OFF if I'm using motion smoothing Forced On?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

OK, so question regarding the reverb settings....... I tried using your 150% today on the global setting and 100% in the DCS application setting and HOLY cow was the visual crisper and more defined. It was almost like looking at a 4K monitor. However, my FPS and CPU framerates were dogshite. I was testing in the NTTR instant action free flight. Over the desert, it was fine, but as soon as I got near the Vegas strip, it started getting choppy and FPS went from a solid 45 down to 30.

I did some experimenting and turned shadows off on both terrain objects and just shadows. It helped a bit but not enough to overcome the stuttering. BTW the stuttering was only really noticeable when looking at 3 or 9 o'clock and was accentuated when rolling while looking out at either wingline.

I also experimented with turning "Legacy Reprojection Mode" both on and off. WHich is the prefered setting for this? BTW, I'm running MSAA Off and AF on 8x.

My rig should be able to easily handle these setting with smooth framerates, so I'm a bit stumped as to why everything is so slow. VrFPS was showing FPS in the 30-36 FPS and GPU frametimes in the 12-17ms range. The CPU frametimes were showing lots of Red.

I'm currently on 2.5.6 OB and am very tempted to roll back to 2.5.5 stable.

Any suggestions?

All I can say is to turn your SteamVR SS back down to 100% and see if that gets you smooth performance. If it does, then just gradually ramp it up until you get a compromise that you're happy with for clarity and performance.

I have both the latest beta and 2.5.5 stable installed on my machine. If you have room for both, I'd highly recommend having both. That way, you can always have one version that you know works well enough for you, while still being able to try out the beta and any new features it may have added. When 2.5.6 came out, I FINALLY updated my stable from 2.5.3 to 2.5.5. I had been keeping it at that version since, for me, 2.5.4 was such a disaster for VR performance and recurring problems with seeker orientation on the AGM-65s.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Cpu Frametimes are higher in dcs with WMR compared to Oculus Software. Have both and see it plainly. :thumbup:

right i'm sure that's true, it doesn't mean a native WMR approach will fix it... the rift-s operates at 1280 x 1440 per eye , vs 2160 x 2160 on the reverb so i would kind of expect the frame times to be higher ... as its processing over double the number of pixels...

Edited by speed-of-heat

right i'm sure that's true, it doesn't mean a native WMR approach will fix it... the rift-s operates at 1280 x 1440 per eye , vs 2160 x 2160 on the reverb so i would kind of expect the frame times to be higher ... as its processing over double the number of pixels...

He is talking about cpu frametimes.

I doubt resolution will have any impact on cpu frametimes.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

ah i had missed that good point. apols... still moving to a native interface is not guaranteed to make things run any faster from a CPU pov...

Hello!

Does anyone now if it is possible to ”alt-tab” out of DCS and be able to see and interact with the desktop/programs such as Discord, from within the headset?

I find it annoying having to lift the headset to watch the screen, in order to do such things...

@Maggot

Kinda......

Use your VR Controller, Click the thumbstick down, that opens the steam VR home interface

Then you can select the Steam VR "Desktops" icon

reverb.thumb.jpg.e0e39f3fc006362dddc0f9a35f46e314.jpg

Then you have your full desktop in VR, which you can use your mouse in.

You may need to press WinKey+Y (once) to bring your mouse back out of Mixed Reality Portal.

You may find your DCS view preview is always 'stuck' on screen and you can't move the mouse out of DCS window because you have "Cursor confined to game window" & "use mouse" in DCS settings enabled.

A little trick I found - I put the task manager off to the right hand side (half covered by dcs, half visible on the right of screen) and always leave it sitting there. If I move my mouse quickly to the Task Manager and click on the title bar to focus the Task Manager window, I then have full mouse control over windows, but the mouse can fall back to focus on DCS, so I have to 'grab' the task bar window again to gain control of the mouse.

desktop.thumb.jpg.3a7790de2e36c805234bbc95cc17cbbe.jpg

Note: An alternative for the mouse focus issue is not confine your mouse to DCS only. But when flying - use Alt+Enter (enter to full screen) so your mouse doesn't fall out of DCS when playing... But you have to then press Alt+Enter every time you want go peek at Windows - which is the opposite of what you want.

To avoid that, maybe you could use Joy2Key or Xpadder to allow you to assign an available Joystick button press to simulate "Alt+Enter" - so would remove the need to look to the keyboard to press Alt+Enter when switching.

When done with windows desktop, press the Steam VR home button again, (ie: press the thumb stick on the controller) to remove the desktop and Steam VR home Screen.

Now it's set up, you can jump back and forth to desktop just pressing thumb stick again.

It's kinda clunky but you don't need to press Alt+Tab and can do it without taking headset off.

Edited by JasonJ

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

@Maggot

Kinda......

Use your VR Controller, Click the thumbstick down, that opens the steam VR home interface

Then you can select the Steam VR "Desktops" icon

[ATTACH]230861[/ATTACH]

Ok thanks, I’ll give it a try!

I dont get it. Seems, I have to change my opinion about the hardware-limits of DCS. Up to now I always said, DCS is GPU bound. Did a lot of tests with the Rift S and GPU-times were with my settings always 20-25ms, while CPU-times were about 15ms. Same for monitor/TrackIR. So clearly a GPU-bottleneck.

With the Reverb it seems, it needs more CPU-power, since now CPU frametimes seem to be generally a bit higher than with the Rift S.

On some mission (eg single-player misson: Hornet-1989-CAS) CPU-times usually are higher like 20-30ms and often, but very briefly jumps to very high values like 60ms.

With the latest stable I had also many red spikes, but considerably less then in OB. And on the monitor/TrackIR I had constant 80-90fps (have no frametimes here), with some rare dips down to 50.

Generally regarding the Reverb after some 10 hrs on it Im actually rather pleased. Almost no SDE and great resolution in the middle of the image.

But as with most VR-sets it a PITA to set them up and lots of time go into tweaking instead of doing proper flying, but generally the Reverb is better, than I expected it.

There are some things, that could be better, like the small sweet spot or soft image everywhere except in the middle, the very slight, but noticable mura and the slight distrotion in the middle of the image. And off course the stiff cable and the pronounced cromatic abberation are still annoying. Those were also the reasons last year, that I sent the Reverb back within two days, but I now found a quite ok solution for the cable and to the cromatic abberation one gets used to quite fast.

Still right now Im not certain, but I will more likely sell it (after Im done with Half-Life) again than keep it. I kind of re-converted to monitor/trackIR on moth ago and only bought the Reverb since if was a good offer and I had the feeling, that my initial testing last year did not do it justice, which actually is true. But if the next gen of headsets gets a mixture of the best parts of the current generation (like cable and sweetspot, uniformity of picture and single programm of the Rift S, resolution and unnoticable SDE of the Reverb and build quality and FOV of the Index, all with decent peformance) Im for sure, sold for VR. But until then, Im as happy with my TrackIR-monitor setup.

Regarding my posts from above: the jerky loading-screens are annoying, but that would be just a minor discomfort, since I usually close my eyes during loading. Also the strain on my eyes - yet still noticable - has got less. I for sure had the Reverb for 5+hrs on today and my eyes dont feel too tired.

Edited by Wali763
My complaints seemed to be mission-related and dont hold true as a general finding

Reduced the flickering loading time (not perfect, but better)

Turn on "Fade to grid on App hangs" in Steam VR settings | Video.

When the Game is loading and flickering, turn your head 90 degrees and the grid shows up and DCS seems to fade out - flickering stops. If DCS picture comes back and flickers a bit, it is out of your field of view.

Easier to tell when the game is finished loading because your eyes aren't shut.

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

An update on my failed cable (the headset side of the cable) An entirley new Reverb was posted out and arrived within 24 hours, I've never seen anthing like it!

The non headset side of the new cable was posted back to them as my current one works fine but get this.....they didn't want the headset itself to be returned so I now have a fully functioning Reverb and a spare that only seems to be having a problem with the cable portion itself. Could be handy if any issues pop up post warranty.

Pretty good service from where I stand.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

A few pages back:

Does anyone know if we're any closer to having passthough activated?

I get pass-through when I hold the Windows button on the WMR controller and click the trigger with the middle finger.

Then use the controller like a spotlight to see the real surroundings.

20200330_195915_MixedReality2.thumb.jpg.4eaa1f6faee659e3010928cc7eeeff8f.jpg

Take a screenshot using the Index Finger Trigger button - saved in Pictures>Camera Roll

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |