Now throttle is acting really weird

Hey everyone,

Just got home from work and am trying to do a Instant Mission. Starting from the ramp, i try and go through the cold start, when i reach the part to start the right engine, wait for it to go past 20% then try and move my throttle from off to idle. it won't move in the SIM, i can move it all the way and back physically, but it won't do it. I restarted the mission 3 times and the same. but the weird thing is when i click on free flight i can move the throttle to AB and back.!!!!! .What the hell. So i go back and try the training mission for cold start and yep you guessed it, the throttle doesn't move again. by the time i figure out the issue the war will be over.......

Has someone else experienced this?:joystick:

What Sabre is telling you is right. If you have warthog type throttles, which is pretty common for US jets, you need to lift them up, over a stop, that changes the engine-fuel flow from "fuel cut off" to "idle".

If the throttle can't be lifted, like the x56 hotas, then you need some other switch or keyboard button to toggle the engines between cut/idle during the start sequence.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

There's a button on the WH throttle that's activated when the throttle passes idle cutoff. I think. I seem to remember having to set that once or twice.

Yes Warthog cut off/idle activates a button.

Afterburner does not.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you have a TM Warthog throttle you have it all made. Bind the command "Throttle (Left) OFF/IDLE" to JOY_BTN30 and

"Throttle (Right) OFF/IDLE" to JOY_BTN29.

JOY_BTN29 and JOY_BTN30 are the (hidden) switches built into the throttle levers. They are activated when you pull the respective lever back over the hump to the OFF position.

If you do a cold start I recommend to start the mission with the levers in the IDLE position and pull them back to OFF first thing when the mission has started. This is to make sure the program knows that the levers are in OFF at mission start.

Technical explanation: These switches close contact when you move the levers to OFF, and DCS sometimes does not recognise the contact opening if it hasn't seen a contact closure before.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you have a TM Warthog throttle you have it all made. Bind the command "Throttle (Left) OFF/IDLE" to JOY_BTN30 and

JOY_BTN29 and JOY_BTN30 are the (hidden) switches built into the throttle levers. They are activated when you pull the respective lever back over the hump to the OFF position.

If you do a cold start I recommend to start the mission with the levers in the IDLE position and pull them back to OFF first thing when the mission has started. This is to make sure the program knows that the levers are in OFF at mission start.

Technical explanation: These switches close contact when you move the levers to OFF, and DCS sometimes does not recognise the contact opening if it hasn't seen a contact closure before.

On my end I always have them in the off position when starting DCS, and at least with the Hornet they are recognized appropriately when I go to start the aircraft. I of course have sync cockpit controls selected in the GUI.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I didn't know this was built in to the TM Warthog throttle, glad I found this!

Now I guess I have to bolt down the throttle base to keep the whole thing from moving around when lifting over the 'hump'.

Thank you fellow pilots!

On my end I always have them in the off position when starting DCS, and at least with the Hornet they are recognized appropriately when I go to start the aircraft. I of course have sync cockpit controls selected in the GUI.

On some aircraft modules it doesn't work that way, so I have taken the habit. And of course I do have the option to synchronize at mission start activated.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same exact issue as the OP. Throttle works fine in every other mode but it won't recognize in cold start. I have the Warthog setup. I mapped the Idle/Off for both R and L to the buttons you suggested and I'm still having the issue. I also tried booting the cold start mission several different times, alternating between the idle on and off and still nothing. In addition the R Shift + Home and R Alt + Home functions on the keyboard won't work either.

So basically, in cold start I'm only able to get as far as the APU start and then I can't get any fuel injection going because my neither my throttle nor the keyboard commands are working for me. And the really weird thing is that these functions worked fine in the training model for Cold Start. Outside the training module the keyboard functions do not work.

I'm following exactly the start procedure in the DCS Hornet training sections and in Chucks start up guide.

I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

Edited by Throckmorton

Now I guess I have to bolt down the throttle base to keep the whole thing from moving around when lifting over the 'hump'.

You really only lift the throttles during engine start and shutdown.. not really high workload situations where you're going to accidentally pull your base off the desk.

You can either do it carefully, hold the base down momentarily, or I personally rest my hand on one of the levers and with those fingers I pull the other throttle up. That keeps the lifting force on the starting lever, and not the entire base.:joystick:

I'm having the same exact issue as the OP. Throttle works fine in every other mode but it won't recognize in cold start. I have the Warthog setup. I mapped the Idle/Off for both R and L to the buttons you suggested and I'm still having the issue. I also tried booting the cold start mission several different times, alternating between the idle on and off and still nothing. In addition the R Shift + Home and R Alt + Home functions on the keyboard won't work either.

So basically, in cold start I'm only able to get as far as the APU start and then I can't get any fuel injection going because my neither my throttle nor the keyboard commands are working for me. And the really weird thing is that these functions worked fine in the training model for Cold Start. Outside the training module the keyboard functions do not work.

I'm following exactly the start procedure in the DCS Hornet training sections and in Chucks start up guide.

I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

As i understand it , this problem manifests itself in game mode . Try sim mode instead .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

As i understand it , this problem manifests itself in game mode . Try sim mode instead .

I went in and un-checked the game avionics mode in addition to the Game Flight Mode that had already been un-checked. This seems to have solved the problem. Thanks so much.

:thumbup:

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2