Question about hornet's ILS system

Pamenchan

Hornet can’t do ILS at an airbase. It can do an ICLS at a carrier.

However, you can still do instrument approaches to an airbase using waypoint navigation or TACAN offset. Both are non precision but they are still easily accomplished with a little practice. Wags said he would create a tutorial soon.

Reason why it can’t do a land based ILS is because the Lot 20 Navy jet didn’t have that equipment installed. Yes there were other countries that had this option installed, but that is not what DCS based this module from. It is the US Navy Lot 20 F/A-18C .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

You can fly tacan, icls and maybe adf approaches. That's about it.

As far as simplicity goes, using waypoint approach is easier to do. No chart needed.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

You can fly tacan, icls and maybe adf approaches. That's about it.

No ADF approaches

However, you can still do instrument approaches to an airbase using waypoint navigation or TACAN offset. Both are non precision but they are still easily accomplished with a little practice

Technically not approved for RNAV approaches, and the WP Offset specifically isn't done to shoot an approach course off of, but for SA on where you're at on an approach, or exactly where a point you're flying to is. It's not for putting an offset to the runway and flying to that (especially with tacans not located on the field it is inaccurate and diminishes the safety margin). You just fly the approach plate and you're good to go.

As far as simplicity goes, using waypoint approach is easier to do. No chart needed.

It's also far less safe to shoot your own self contained WP approaches, and if you're ofp doing your own thing you'll conflict with others if they're shooting the actual approach, but in the scope of dcs sure.

Guys sorry if I missed it. How do I set up the ICLS on the Stennis now after the update. My TACAN setting for the ship is set to 45X. How do I get the ICLS to come up? Thanks.

Ray “Bones” Lemus

Same way you set up a tacan instead select activate icls and select the channel in the ME.

No ADF approaches

Technically not approved for RNAV approaches, and the WP Offset specifically isn't done to shoot an approach course off of, but for SA on where you're at on an approach, or exactly where a point you're flying to is. It's not for putting an offset to the runway and flying to that (especially with tacans not located on the field it is inaccurate and diminishes the safety margin). You just fly the approach plate and you're good to go.

It's also far less safe to shoot your own self contained WP approaches, and if you're ofp doing your own thing you'll conflict with others if they're shooting the actual approach, but in the scope of dcs sure.

Who said anything about technicality? According to Wags, it can be done. I’ve even done it myself down to lowest ceiling in DCS and 4800RVR at select airbases numerous times at numerous airbases both maps. As long as you are familiar with the topography and obstructions, there is no issue. You can even create your own missed approach points. It is a viable option in a pinch, and depending on how technical the pilot wants to be.

Addendum: my point over this is there are some who feel that the lack of ILS is unnecessary limitations to the player. However, there are many options for the player to utilize now since TACAN is functional as well as waypoint placement and editing. You can land this bird in IMC without ILS.

Update July 18th -> WAGS

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=74365&share_tid=215960&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D215960&share_type=t

Post #37

Edited by Eagle7907

For those having issues getting ICLS to work please try and create a new simple mission rather than add to an existing mission. I think there might be a bug, I am still investigating but if you find that adding to existing mission isn't working whereas creating a new one is, please let me know.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

It works in missions I make in ME today.

You‘re right. I didn‘t know that I have to set the TACAN for every waypoint, if I enable a custom TACAN frequency after adding a waypoint. My bad.

My default station is 1X and it is named TKR instead of STN, is that how it‘s supposed to be?

Yesterday I tried about 10 landings and succeeded 2 of them .

I used to land much more accurate before. I will make more tests today hopefully

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

so, ICLS is only FD on the HUD

not actually capturing and auto holding the ILS path, right?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

so, ICLS is only FD on the HUD

not actually capturing and auto holding the ILS path, right?

Important to note the ILS bars on the HUD are deviation indicators referenced to the VV they are NOT Flight Director (FD) commands.

Autopilot coupling is possible (not yet implemented) using the VEC option. This provides specific symbology (tadpole) that is an FD command again referenced to the VV.

Important to note the ILS bars on the HUD are deviation indicators referenced to the VV they are NOT Flight Director (FD) commands.

Autopilot coupling is possible (not yet implemented) using the VEC option. This provides specific symbology (tadpole) that is an FD command again referenced to the VV.

getting there, great

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

• 9 months later...

Land based ILS is a totally different system the ICLS.. Think if land ILS as VOR station with only one course beam.

1:Due to the CV having to be on different headings the ICLS system must have the capability to generate ALL course (LOC) lines

2: The coures (LOC) and glide slope "lines" must be gyro stabilized, else they would be all over the sky as the ship pitched and rolled.

For automaitc landing systems(ACLS), the CV receives flight info from the a/c and ships approach radar, runs it through a computer then TX commands back to the A/C's Autopilot

Land based ILS is a totally different system the ICLS.. Think if land ILS as VOR station with only one course beam.

1:Due to the CV having to be on different headings the ICLS system must have the capability to generate ALL course (LOC) lines

2: The coures (LOC) and glide slope "lines" must be gyro stabilized, else they would be all over the sky as the ship pitched and rolled.

For automaitc landing systems(ACLS), the CV receives flight info from the a/c and ships approach radar, runs it through a computer then TX commands back to the A/C's Autopilot

It’ll send commands to the autopilot for a Mode 1 or Mode 1A. For a Mode 2 the commands are sent to the aircraft but the autopilot is out of the loop.

icls

YEP:)

I find the system in the DCS FA 18C a bit unstable in close. I have flown 1000's of ILS approaches, in the RW ( inst instructor for 2000 flight hr) and many in sims (FSX P3D and DCS) and this system is IMHO not working correctly!:(

Edited by oldpop
addd info

This is a video of an F/A-18 going missed approach off a TACAN and getting into an emergency fuel state because there were no other options.

If Approach Control doesn't do PARs, you are SOL if the weather is so bad that you need a precision approach. US F/A-18s just received RNAV certification, but to my knowledge NAVAIR will not sign off on LPV for any naval aircraft. I even have it on good authority from a P-8 pilot who was in my T-44C Ground School class that even they aren't authorized to do them despite essentially being 737-800s. LNAV MDA and LNAV/VNAV are all you've got, and while the latter provides vertical guidance it is not legally a precision approach. That means you could fly all the way down to minimums with a centered CDI and be way offset laterally from the runway.

It's as ridiculous as it sounds. I get that Ground-Controlled Approaches were much more common when the F/A-18 debuted compared to today, but for the Navy to have never provided them with civilian ILS capability in the interim was rolling the dice with people's lives in my opinion.

Edited by Chuck_Henry
Add'l info

This is a video of an F/A-18 going missed approach off a TACAN and getting into an emergency fuel state because there were no other options.

If Approach Control doesn't do PARs, you are SOL if the weather is so bad that you need a precision approach. US F/A-18s just received RNAV certification, but to my knowledge NAVAIR will not sign off on LPV for any naval aircraft. I even have it on good authority from a P-8 pilot who was in my T-44C Ground School class that even they aren't authorized to do them despite essentially being 737-800s. LNAV MDA and LNAV/VNAV are all you've got, and while the latter provides vertical guidance it is not legally a precision approach. That means you could fly all the way down to minimums with a centered CDI and be way offset laterally from the runway.

It's as ridiculous as it sounds. I get that Ground-Controlled Approaches were much more common when the F/A-18 debuted compared to today, but for the Navy to have never provided them with civilian ILS capability in the interim was rolling the dice with people's lives in my opinion.

When the Hornet came out, GCAs were only more prevalent at military fields. Civilians rarely used them just as they are rarely used by them today. Other jet’s that debuted at the same time as the Hornet had ILS. I agree with you, there’s no excuse the Hornet shouldn’t have an ILS.

I even have it on good authority from a P-8 pilot who was in my T-44C Ground School class that even they aren't authorized to do them despite essentially being 737-800s. LNAV MDA and LNAV/VNAV are all you've got, and while the latter provides vertical guidance it is not legally a precision approach. That means you could fly all the way down to minimums with a centered CDI and be way offset laterally from the runway.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe civil 737-800 have LVP capability either.