ILS/VOR navigation and interception.

wess24m

Excellent videos Wess. Very clear and understandable. What stick and pedals are you using in these vids?

Thank you, I try to make them so somebody just getting into sims can understand them.:thumbup:

I'm using saitek pedals and TM Warthog.

good ;)

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

Wess have you been able to get the VOR navigation to work? Not ILS but the actual VOR TO/FROM Headings.

First switch on the NAV radio and tune in the VOR frequency. Then set compass indicator to VOR mode (upper left switch).

I have found these VOR freqencies so far in DCS:

GELENDZHIK: 114.3 MHz

KRASNODAR CENTER: 115.8 MHz

KUTAISI: 113.6MHz

MINERALNYE VODY: 117.1MHz

TIBILISI - LOCHNI: 113.7MHz

My own list for frequencies: http://nereid42.de/dcs/DCS%20Frequencies.pdf

PS: Hmmm... did you mean TO/FROM headings as functional in modern aircrafts? Well... then I didn't get this to work also. The compass indicator seems to be only working as a pointer like NDB navigation. I don't know if the real think also gives only the direction. The correct frequencies where my main problem to get VOR to work at all.

Edited by Nereid

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

Hang on... how well is the Tacan simulated in DCS ? You should be able to use Tacan as VOR. For example the Batumi Tacan 16X, should be received as VOR/DME 107.9 MHz. Will try those out in an hour or so...

...or 135.9 MHz ... dammit, where are my books!

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

Hang on... how well is the Tacan simulated in DCS ? You should be able to use Tacan as VOR. For example the Batumi Tacan 16X, should be received as VOR/DME 107.9 MHz. Will try those out in an hour or so...

How do you translate TACAN to MHz?

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

TACAN doesn't necessarily include VOR. If it does then the station is called a VORTAC, not TACAN.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

What I'm writing about is actually the DME frequency on which a TACAN or VORTAC is sending, so you can't set a VOR radial, but use the DME as NDB. TACAN is using UHF frequencies that are outside of our NAV radio to use exactly as VOR.

...or maybe I need another cup off coffee...

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually you can... but not with our radio. We would need one that could receive DME signal, then you use this table to set up VOR/DME frequency (which will show up DME, and course to transmitter, but no VOR radial will be available):

Tacan%20Vor%20freq%20pairings.gif

use it for good :P

Edited by Sundowner.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No pal - you can't. The table you present is showing frequencies to be set in a VOR receiver to have a connected DME transceiver switch to a defined channel in the UHF band to use the DME component of a TACAN. This is no translation at all. This is just a defined list to work around the fact that you can not interact directly with your on board DME transceiver. You use the VOR receiver panel for that. The then set VHF frequency in the VOR receiver wont receive anything. But the DME transceiver will know what UHF channel it has to use.

This issue is appearing repeatedly because folks misinterpret listings like that as a translation of compatible navaids.

What I'm writing about is actually the DME frequency on which a TACAN or VORTAC is sending, so you can't set a VOR radial, but use the DME as NDB. TACAN is using UHF frequencies that are outside of our NAV radio to use exactly as VOR..

A VORTAC isnt one single navaid. It is a VOR next to a colocated TACAN. Lacking a TACAN transceiver but equipped with civil navigation radios, this enables you to use the VOR together with the DME (of the TACAN) for the VOR location.

You also cant use the DME as a NDB because it doesnt provide bearings. TACAN (and its DME component) as well as DME are working by principles of secondary radar.

Coming back to topic, the Huey cant use TACAN nor even components of it, in any way.

Edited by Rongor

No pal - you can't. The table you present is showing frequencies to be set in a VOR receiver to have a connected DME transceiver switch to a defined channel in the UHF band to use the DME component of a TACAN. This is no translation at all. This is just a defined list to work around the fact that you can not interact directly with your on board DME transceiver. You use the VOR receiver panel for that.
Exactly.

The then set VHF frequency in the VOR receiver wont receive anything.
Yes your right, I got confused going through the TACAN receiver manual, since that one receives in that band it will show on the HSI course to that navaid, typical VOR/DME setup on the other hand is not set up like that and can't home on the UHF frequency.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 years later...
I resume just to ask: is the VOR / TACAN / NDB list posted by Nereid still viable for 2.5 Caucasus?

Most are but Senaki-Kolkhi's Inner and Outer NDB's changed frequency a couple of years ago.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2678739&postcount=1

The 476 vFG Flight Info Pubs may be of use:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3387315&postcount=1

or search the Download section User Files if looking for an abbreviated list (.jpg) to add to your kneeboard

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

I'm using an edited version of uboats DCS F-86 Kneeboard ATC Default Channel List v1.1 as the .pdf includes a word .docx file, so was easy to update.

However uboats table might not include everything you're looking for.

Note: there's less need for kneeboard Channel Lists since Airdrome Data is now displayed in the F10 map by clicking on an airbase.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I have a pdf added to my kneeboard for the ADF inner and outer frequencies and for ATC channel numbers found here on the forum and taken from L-39 manual, and I use it for L-39 since it can almost only navigate through ADF. But VOR frequencies are missing, and with Uh-1h you can also navigate through VOR. Uh-1h manual is the least complete of all the modules I own (for example it still misses uh-1h history) and VOR frequencies are not listed (and I think they should).

Edited by nessuno0505

Would you explain how you arrived at those freqs from the table

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 1 year later...

OK I'm doing in editor a search and rescue mission use the huey and want a search freq on sinking vessel. I can setup tacan but dose'nt give an option for vor/dme

And which radio should i use

MSI Z370 Gaming pro carbon/ I7 8700K/ 32GB DDR4/ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X graphics card/ Windows 10/ Vive VR/ Rhino X-55 joystick & throttle/ logitec flight pedals