Overclock?

dcs.sniper

Hey guys

I am not experienced with overclocking

Currently when playing DCS in VR my CPU utilization average is 30% while my GPU is around 70%

CPU is i7 7700K

GPU is GTX 1080

Would I benefit from OC CPU and or GPU?

Tks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPU yes.

Every bit you can squeeze out of that single core used by DCS adds FPS.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Yes

Cpu will be the best improvement from oc. You could get yourself another 10fps depending on the oc.

Gpu you might squeeze an extra frame or 2 for overclocking

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

DCS is only capable of using 2 cores and 1 of them is for the sound engine. 30% usage is basically 100% as far as DCS is concerned. In fact it's more than 100%, but there are always background tasks taking up a few %. You should see a modest fps boost by adding a 10-15% cpu overclock.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

DCS is only capable of using 2 cores and 1 of them is for the sound engine. 30% usage is basically 100% as far as DCS is concerned. In fact it's more than 100%, but there are always background tasks taking up a few %. You should see a modest fps boost by adding a 10-15% cpu overclock.

I appreciate the guidance. Should I assume this hold true for VR and non VR scenarios or is there a difference?

Thanks again

Look, you will get benefit from OC but you need to be sensible.

Every single CPU is individual in OC and it is all depend on multiple factors to be able in OC so you will get results for your CPU between 4.3 to 5.0 GHZ per single core.

So when you do OC on your MB and CPU put it on load and test it for stable work. Speed you got to work stabile is your OC speed where your CPU will work without problems and without shortening life time.

There is no problem with OC your CPU and GPU. first inform your self about your hardware, how to do it and than just go for it.

Good luck.

My motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Code

It has a decent utility for OC with profile testing

I loaded the profile that OC the CPU to 14% so it runs at max of 4.8GHz.

No OC on GPU

DCS running on VR at constant 45fps in multiplayer

CPU load avg 30-40%

CPU temp avg 50-60C

GPU load avg 67%

GPU temp avg 63C

I run with these settings for a while and monitor

Thanks again for all the guidance

Put an AIO water cooler on it if you plan to OC.

Ther are a couple of forums you should visit to get some help. Overlock.net and overclockers.com. There are some great noob guides and everyone is very helpful.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I thought that DCS had moved to multi core with 2.5.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

DCS will use more than 2 threads on the Caucuses map but not on the NTTR or PG maps. The extra threads are only used during rapid head movement though. Not sure exactly what they are doing, might be related to speed tree but niether NTTR or PG maps have many trees, so I haven't been able to record more than 2 threads being used. Typical MP CPU usage can be seen in the video below. Looks super single threaded to me given I am recording, have monitoring software running and all the VR stuff in the background.

This is why clock speed is so important in DCS. In the video above, my overclocked i7-8700k struggles with 45 FPS in VR. I really need a 10.0 GHz CPU to hold a locked 90 fps with the current engine. This should change once the game is properly threaded with a Vulkan based engine, but that's a long ways off. Until then, overclocking the snot out of our CPU's is the only solution.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

DCS will use more than 2 threads on the Caucuses map but not on the NTTR or PG maps. The extra threads are only used during rapid head movement though. Not sure exactly what they are doing, might be related to speed tree but niether NTTR or PG maps have many trees, so I haven't been able to record more than 2 threads being used. Typical MP CPU usage can be seen in the video below. Looks super single threaded to me given I am recording, have monitoring software running and all the VR stuff in the background.

This is why clock speed is so important in DCS. In the video above, my overclocked i7-8700k struggles with 45 FPS in VR. I really need a 10.0 GHz CPU to hold a locked 90 fps with the current engine. This should change once the game is properly threaded with a Vulkan based engine, but that's a long ways off. Until then, overclocking the snot out of our CPU's is the only solution.

DCS doesnt use more than 2 threads, what you are seeing is windows trying to help out by tasking what it can to other cores. The reason it shows different based on the map is the map technology itself. Nevada and Persian gulf use geometry clipmaps (http://hhoppe.com/proj/geomclipmap/) which do not require loading different pieces of the map into memory as the map view changes, Caucasus doesn't use this, it loads chunks of the map at a time, so changing your view requires resources to be fetched, thus increasing some of your CPU time for this process. One map to another does not dictate the engines threading model (at least not currently)

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to reopen this "old" thread, but reading the above, do I understand correctly that the CPU is more of a bottleneck for DCS VR than the GPU?

What I actually would like to know :P:

With the latest news of iX-9000 series arrival somewhere October this year, I wonder if it would pay off to wait for the i5-9600 instead of going for a, probably cheaper, i5-8600K (or 8500)?

Any educated guess if choosing an i5-9600 over an i5-8600K will result in a noticeable FPS gain in DCS VR (let's say in combination with a 1080ti), or could I just as well go for the i5-8600K and will my GPU be the bottleneck.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

There are pretty good threads about DCS using more than two threads over at the PC Hardware section. You also have to consider that DCS is moving to Vulkan API which changes the equation a bit as well. Granted, that's probably more like 2019 or 2020 development (I'm guessing here based on past track record).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Vulkan should solve all our cpu woes (unless you have an i3) but I suspect that's a long ways off. As for CPU vs gpu, dcs hits both pretty hard. I don't think even the 1080 ti is enough for a locked 90 fps at reasonable detail settings. But as you saw above, even an 8700k can't always hold 45 fps, so the gpu is often held back significantly.