A10C vs A10A

Arrowood

There is a thread here that you can read Arrowood.

http://forums.eagle.ru:8080/showthread.php?t=194763

The A-10A is very simplified FC3 aircraft to learn and to get into / learn to battle quicker. The A-10C is a full simulation of many systems that will keep you busy learning and reading for a long time. It was built to train IRL pilots in the transition from the A-10A to C, see pic in that thread I posted above.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Maybe some secondary thoughts, since you mention money.

The A-10C has a very integral HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) concept. I know people have flown the sim with Xbox controllers and were apparently quite proficient at it. But gear like the Saitek X52 or the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, to mention some of the most widely spread consumer HOTAS systems, are a lot more fun because of all the knobs and switches they offer (in case of the TM Warthog, it's a 1:1 replica, and comes pre-configured for the A-10C).

The A-10A is a lot older and has fewer buttons on the real controls. I believe it can be comfortably used in combat with just a joystick and a fair memory of the required keyboard keys. So the A-10A should be more accessible, and probably won't tempt you quite as much as the A-10C to rob a bank and get that damn HOTAS (we've all been there...) :D

Then again (half the forum probably yawns right now cause I keep bringing this up ;)), I've flown the A-10C since the Beta version many years ago, and I'm still learning more about it. The simulation is deep, and I mean deeeeep. If you like a study sim, you can probably still get something out of it when your kid's (kids?) left the house and money is less of a problem. In my case, I'm pretty sure I'm down to a few cents per hour since the A-10C's release, so in the long run it seems pretty cheap. ;)

Finally, you can get a glimpse for free. The Su-25T (basically the Russian counterpart to the A-10) is a free aircraft in DCS World and is from the same series as the A-10A. The cockpits look different, but the way you interact with both aircraft is very similar. Why don't you install DCS World (also free) and jump into the Su-25T and take a look? There's also a TF-51D (demilitarized P-51 Mustang) for free. This is of course a very different aircraft from the A-10C, but it features the same type of fully clickable cockpit as the A-10C, so you can get a better understanding how the A-10 A and C models are different, without spending a dime yet. :thumbup:

I would suggest downloading the free mod of the A-4E here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224989

It has a klickable cockpit, a load of weapons (including AGM-45 'Shrike') and it's really fun to fly. You can see in my signature what other aircraft I fly and I must say the A-4E is one of my favorites. Just try it. Won't cost you a dime. You can also find a good manual here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225016&page=5, post #42.

When you feel comfortable with the A-4E you can switch over to the A-10C, but don't do it without a HOTAS system. Else it will drive you nuts. :D

If you like it simple, take the A-10A.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I am retired with a very small pension. I also have terrible and expensive Internet. Four months ago I downloaded DCS. I have been using the Su-25T offline. The Su-25T is fun to learn. Plus you get the free Mission Editor. Which is also fun to learn. It's all very challenging, but worth it. Best of all, it's all Free!

I am retired with a very small pension. I also have terrible and expensive Internet. Four months ago I downloaded DCS. I have been using the Su-25T offline. The Su-25T is fun to learn. Plus you get the free Mission Editor. Which is also fun to learn. It's all very challenging, but worth it. Best of all, it's all Free!

Hi Skunk Cabbage! Just try the A-4E out (one post above your's). You won't regret it. :)

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Hi Skunk Cabbage! Just try the A-4E out (one post above your's). You won't regret it. :)

I have it. Once I become fully accustomed to the SU-25T, I will then train on the A-4E. I hope one day I will be come good enough to fly at least one of them on a server. If, I don't die of old age first. I'm 68.

the Warthog C or the Warthog A. whats the difference between the two packs?

The differences IRL are that the C has more modern avionics, with GPS and a targeting pod.

But in the simulator the difference Is a lot more than that: the A Is a simplified simulation, with non clickable cockpit and a simplified avionics: i.e. to start the plane you just click a couple of keys on the keyboard and you are ready to go. The C otherwise Is a 90% fully simulated plane, with clickable cockpit and accurate simulation of hydraulics, Electric, engines, avionics, internal computers and weapon systems. To start It you have to go

throug All the complete and complex routines clicking dozens of buttons and levers, as you would do IRL. This Is the main reason of the price difference. The A Is about 50 Pages manual, the C Is 670 Pages manual. If you want a simulation to keep you busy for the next few years, with Always something new to learn every day, get the C. You Can learn the A in a couple of days to Be pessimistic, even an afternoon could Be enough.

So, money is tight, but I can pull off either the Warthog C or the Warthog A. Obviously the A is way cheaper, but other than that, whats the difference between the two packs?

A-10A

The A-10A is an older, less capable version that's part of the Lock On/Flaming Cliffs 3 pack and also sold separately.

If you have flown the free Su-25T, learn't it's systems and flown it's campaign - the A-10A is the western equivalent.

• The cockpit has a single TV screen i.e. to display a IR maverick image and isn't 'clickable'.

• Systems are simplified, so you use 'RShift+L' to turn on the electrics, 'RCtrl+L' for lights, 'RCtrl/RAlt+Home' for engine start, '1' for different Nav modes, etc. as in the free Su-25T.

• DCS 2.5 has few, if any, A-10A training missions (the Su-25T now serves that purpose). Older (depreciated versions from 1.5) are still available but probably require adjusting in the ME to fit the new 2.5 map.

• It comes with a single player campaign - The Valley.

A-10C

The A-10C module was developed from a class room 'trainer' created to teach A-10A pilots converting to the real A-10C. As such, it is far more detailed and accurate.

• The cockpit is the 'typical' one seen in youtube videos with two TV screens, a moving map, Targeting Pod, etc. and using HOTAS weapon control

• It is a clickable cockpit, so the battery switch turns on the battery, etc. There's a cheat autostart (RWin+Home) but most people learn and use the 'real' startup procedures, etc. as found in NATOPS, the 671 page manual, Chuck's Guide or from youtube videos

• Most systems are modelled i.e. navigation waypoints, flight plans can be created/edited using the CDU (flight computer), Target Pod used to create mark points (that are then used to guide GPS bombs), etc, etc.

• As a 'full' and 'flagship' module - it comes with training missions, instant action missions and 'Georgian Hammer' campaign

• There are additional paid DCL A-10C campaigns and lots content in ED's 'User files' section.

Summary

The A-10A is suitable for SU-25T players who liked it's campaign and want more of the same but using a western equivalent.

A-10C has much more longevity and should be part of most peoples DCS library due to it's detail and accuracy - the A-10A, not so much, though I did buy it several years ago for the included campaign.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The a-10a Is more of the same as the free su-25t. The su-25t to Be honest Is a Little more complex than the a-10a. It Is not worth to buy imho, since you quickly get tired and the free su-25t Is better. A-10c Is a full simulation that needs time to Be studied and learned, but far more rewarding when you start to become proficient. If you prefer not to go so Deep in systems as in the a-10c I suggest you to buy flaming cliffs 3, that features a bunch of aircrafts su-25t level (including a-10a) and Is a better package for the bucks than the a-10a alone.

Edited by nessuno0505

A-10C all day every day. Been flying it for 8 years regularly and still enjoy it. Superb system depth, satisfying handling, great weapons. Buy it and learn it.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.