My F5 trim issue solved, finally!

Gpruitt54

From day one, I have had a persistent issue with the trim on the F5. Moving the trim, even a little would cause the trim tab to move and not stop until it reached the limit of its movement. This happened in each direction of the trim tab. This means that the nose of the bird would pull up completely or down hard. I have posted more than one post on this forum in an attempt to get a resolution for the issue.

Recently, I changed USB 3.0 hub for a smaller and simpler USB 2.0. Low and behold, the problems with the F5's trim tabs completely disappeared. Whatever the issue was, it was related to the USB hub. Now, the F5 flies like a champ with trim tabs functioning as intended.

Thanks to those (DCS support included) who contributed to my previous calls for help.

Got the same issue when I bought the F-5 a few weeks ago, but as far as I'm concerned, I suspect it was more a keybinding issue...

I found this in ...\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\F-5E\Input\F-5E_easy\joystick\default.lua (probably also in others default.lua... But I only backed up this one):

{down = iCommandPlaneTrimUp, up = iCommandPlaneTrimUp, value_down = 1, value_up = 0, name = _('Elevator Trimmer Switch, PULL(CLIMB)'), category = _('Flight Control')},
{down = iCommandPlaneTrimDown, up = iCommandPlaneTrimDown, value_down = 1, value_up = 0, name = _('Elevator Trimmer Switch, PUSH(DESCEND)'), category = _('Flight Control')},
{down = iCommandPlaneTrimLeft, up = iCommandPlaneTrimLeft, value_down = 1, value_up = 0, name = _('Aileron Trimmer Switch, LEFT'), category = _('Flight Control')},
{down = iCommandPlaneTrimRight, up = iCommandPlaneTrimRight, value_down = 1, value_up = 0, name = _('Aileron Trimmer Switch, RIGHT'), category = _('Flight Control')},

So I opened every "default.lua" in \DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\F-5E\Input\... and :

-> replaced "up = iCommandPlaneTrim..." by "up = iCommandPlaneTrimStop"

-> removed "value_down = 1, value_up = 0"

e.g.

{down = iCommandPlaneTrimUp, up = iCommandPlaneTrimStop, name = _('Elevator Trimmer Switch, PULL(CLIMB)'), category = _('Flight Control')},
{down = iCommandPlaneTrimDown, up = iCommandPlaneTrimStop, name = _('Elevator Trimmer Switch, PUSH(DESCEND)'), category = _('Flight Control')},
{down = iCommandPlaneTrimLeft, up = iCommandPlaneTrimStop, name = _('Aileron Trimmer Switch, LEFT'), category = _('Flight Control')},
{down = iCommandPlaneTrimRight, up = iCommandPlaneTrimStop, name = _('Aileron Trimmer Switch, RIGHT'), category = _('Flight Control')},

And now it works fine...

(Btw, what's the difference between "down = ..." and "pressed = ..." ? Since F-5E\...\*.lua uses "pressed = " and F-5E_easy\...\*.lua uses "down = "...)

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

down requires a seperate up action.

pressed simply means "while pushed".

For a button you want pressed. For a switch, down.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."