Colored roofs 1.1

Yeah well, I have used Nvidia dds plugin, but for me it was checked options without MIP maps. I'll re-save textures with MIP maps, so we'll see if we have solved the flicker problem. TY

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

Leva I didn't understand your post #27 entirely. I know I've said that too, in one of my previous posts. I don't intend to modify the block_texture.bmp.dds file, it is much tricky job. If anyone has the patience to deal with it go ahead.

Problem flicker disappeared after saving textures with MIP maps. I set the new links in first post.

ianick: Of course it's free, many of you are scared with other DLC terrains. :megalol:

Edited by kobac

Leva I know I've said that too, in one of my previous posts. I don't intend to modify the block_texture.bmp.dds file, it is much tricky job. If anyone has the patience to deal with it go ahead.

Problem flicker disappeared after saving textures with MIP maps. I set the new links in first post.

In any case, thank you, made a nice variety in the world of DCS

Increase draw distance?

Thank you for this mod! :thumbup:

It adds needed realism to the muted gray unrealistic cities...

The problem is that I see the roofs turn red/blue gradually...only below 5500 ft' and closer, like a bubble around me, if I look top down. it's way too close and an immersion killer...

how can I increase the draw distance??

I've tried messing with my graphic settings and maximize it, but it did not change.

Another thing, if the roofs could be somewhat weathered (dirt/leaves) it could look even more real.

Thanks again!

Callsign   SETUP

I really don't know how to increase the draw distance. I think we should edit the file block_texture.bmp.dds, as previously stated, and it should have a chart that represents the texture by building, and it has only ED developers working on terrain textures, I guess. Maybe someone else will want to proceed or even improve this mod. From me so much for that. Enjoy!

kobac, to increase distance of buildings models showing the new roof texture you need to modify .../Config/Terrain/xxxxx.lua files, line 56 (this is in Districts section)

nearFullRenderDistance value

This will impact on fps a bit though.

Ideally you want to change the texture of buildings for far LOD also, but I have no idea where this texture is.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

Thanks Kuky your advice on edit these lua files will definitely benefit for those who have a stronger PC's, and regarding for far LOD, I guess it's just about a couple of times already-mentioned block_texture.bmp.dds file.

@Kobac,

Would you link only the files you've changed, and not the entire"Building textures" folder,

since it overwrites/replaces Starway's Building texture, and wish to merge them,

i.e. Starways building textures with your colored roofs (and those files only).

Is it possible?

Many thanks!

Callsign   SETUP

Textures don't change back for me.

My settings for "high"

district =

{

maxDistrictsAround = 100000;

farDistance = 30000;

farFullRenderDistance = 20000;

nearFullRenderDistance = 20000;

nearDistance = 20000;

dcs2016-06-1315-20-421wpv7.jpg

nice setting but it need a lot of FPS for me:(

ron533 I am not sure you succeed, what you just imagined. Starway textures are high, and some even 8K resolution. And because of that - only the strongest today's hardware will be able to deal with such a large textures without losing FPS.

Building textures for walls, roofs, fences etc. simply not are separated as a special texture. Single building is one texture. So I'm not sure how it will look that yours mix. In any case, up to you to try and see. Therefore, here's your link to these, only edited textures. if you have not done so far as told you GregP. Good luck!

Edited by kobac

Just stumbled on an article about Poti trying to revitalize itself as a tourist spot, and if the accompanying photos are anything to go by these roofs are a pretty realistic upgrade.

Had some trouble with textures reverting at distance but redid the JSGME setup and will try it again later today. Great mod in any case!

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

Thanks for the upload!

I've merged your files with/over Starway's buildings and terrain and it seems fine to me.

It does change the affected buildings texture but the trade off is worth it in my mind, since I mainly spend my time in the air and not on the ground - the addition of color from above is a welcome one.

The best case scenario is that Starway will produce colored roof tops over his hi-res textures....

(I've asked him to, and was was positive about it. well, at least generally positive about optimizations...)

Cheers!

Callsign   SETUP

I'm glad you made it. This is really good news, If Sarway colored his roofs. He will do more subtle and probably much better than I, because he true artist. :)

@Maverick, that's normal for the FPS, using such setting makes you load High res LOD texture from 20 km, and it may even cause flickering as long as you load high detail LOD from a very long range. When I made my own mod, I set it to 3 km, and it already cost me 10 FPS...

@Kobac, If I do well remember, Starway reworked the roofs too, I saw on your first page screen that you use my mod, and I had the same problem than you : not able to find the roofs on the distant LOD dds.

A solution may be to try with the Starway mod and see if he modified too the distant LOD for his new roofs, so you can find them and edit them.

Nicolas

• Like 1

Yes dimitriov I have used your building textures, and all the credits for creating these textures, of course belong to you, I even tried to assign reputation points for your work, but there is something wrong with the forum and it didn't work. Also, in a couple of posts I tried to draw attention to moders it would be nice if we had colored roofs, but nobody wanted to do it, so I did it myself. Since I liked the result I decided to share it with everyone. I hope I'm not wrong. If someone like this idea let's still growing, if not - let it remain like this. And finally I have already mentioned a couple of times, solution for distant LOD roofs is in block_texture.bmp.dds file. But for editing that file I don't have will, because there are a lot small textures which I don't recognize, I do not distinguish which belonging to.

Edited by kobac

• 9 months later...