[QUESTION] Implications of NOT Requiring Pure Client/Textures, etc?

Fubarbrickdust

So I've come back to DCS after a little hiatus and have finally decided to take the plunge and would really like to get into MP...

Some of the newer servers I see gaining traction look really interesting (DDCS, TTI PVE+PVP, Blue Flag, etc.) and I'd really like to get involved...

The only issue stopping me is that I fly in VR, while not an issue in itself I do run several mods to aid framerate performance and VR usability, mainly:

Kegetys Shader Mod. (framerate)

VR hanger scene removal. (framerate)

Mustang's Terrain Textures. (looks nice)

Frenchy's NVG mod. (allows me to peek under NVG to see cockpit)

Custom cockpit textures to improve legibility and lighting in cockpit (mainly KA-50)

Modified default.lua and clickabledata.lua input files to work with my setup and to provide missing module switch functionality. (a must have for my homebrew controllers/pit).

Of course, even this little bunch is an instant IC fail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect £200!

Now I know the obvious answer is - If you wanna play MP, disable all IC fail mods but that's basically a no go for my DCS experience - especially Kegetys mod and the cockpit lighting textures and input mods.

I jumped on Aerobatics Online recently as my 1st MP experience - It was awesome, and really cool to find the Caucasus so teeming with life for once - but I know that sooner or later I'm gonna need to blow shit up as well!!

So my question is two-fold in a sense:

1. As titled, what are the realistic and likely implications of server admins running without the need for pure client and textures?

2. Depending on the answers to the above (some may be quite valid) is it worth putting in a few requests to said admins to alter the requirement so the likes of myself, and others I'm sure that don't run a pure client, can get involved with these groovy looking servers, or is that pretty much never gonna happen?

Any and all insight from those in the know would be very welcome...

BrickDust, out.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust
spelling and syntax [and clarity]

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

Integrity check is in place to ensure everyone is playing on a level playing field. Rightfully so, any mod that gives you an advantage, especially those that enhance your vision or field of view outside of what DCS itself is programmed to do, should be rejected. Especially on those servers that are highly competitive, such as those you mention.

While I never used any of the mods you listed, (using Frenchy's NVG mod as a prime example here) I have used NVGs in reality, though some 20+ years ago now. Looking at the mod, I can say that the mod makes things way too clear for what it was in reality. Back when I was using them, you could only see clearly out to about 30-40 yrds depending on light conditions. Beyond that things became fuzzy very quickly. You certainly were not able to see clear details on an aircraft some distance away. Remember, NVGs use the ambient light provided by your surroundings to enhance the image. They DO NOT act as a big green spotlight that can light up the world and allow you to read a billboard a 2 miles away.

I know you don't want to hear the obvious answer, but that's the only possible answer if you want to play on the servers you listed.

EDIT: What I can also add is, I know a lot of people who play on the DDCS server who use VR. Even with IC in place, they all do quite well on that server and say enjoy the experience. At the very least, give any of the servers you listed a shot. You may still have a good time and make a few more flying buddies.

Edited by Baaz

Integrity check is in place to ensure everyone is playing on a level playing field. Rightfully so, any mod that gives you an advantage, especially those that enhance your vision or field of view outside of what DCS itself is programmed to do, should be rejected. Especially on those servers that are highly competitive, such as those you mention.

While I never used any of the mods you listed, (using Frenchy's NVG mod as a prime example here) I have used NVGs in reality, though some 20+ years ago now. Looking at the mod, I can say that the mod makes things way too clear for what it was in reality. Back when I was using them, you could only see clearly out to about 30-40 yrds depending on light conditions. Beyond that things became fuzzy very quickly. You certainly were not able to see clear details on an aircraft some distance away. Remember, NVGs use the ambient light provided by your surroundings to enhance the image. They DO NOT act as a big green spotlight that can light up the world and allow you to read a billboard a 2 miles away.

I know you don't want to hear the obvious answer, but that's the only possible answer if you want to play on the servers you listed.

EDIT: What I can also add is, I know a lot of people who play on the DDCS server who use VR. Even with IC in place, they all do quite well on that server and say enjoy the experience. At the very least, give any of the servers you listed a shot. You may still have a good time and make a few more flying buddies.

Heya Baaz

Thanks for the candid insight, and I couldn't agree more regarding a level playing field. Just to clarify, it was never my intention to use mods to gain an upper hand in a MP scenario what so ever. I've just had a readback of my OP and can totally see how that might be construed - I've edited it a bit for clarity.

Ironically, it made me smile a bit when you referenced Frenchys NVG mod - I would totally agree on a monitor. But I'm hazarding a guess that you haven't had the pleasure of flying DCS in VR?

Believe me good sir, having an upper hand with enhanced vision and spotting is never gonna be an issue...with or without the mod, or even with any mod and a cloudless summer afternoon on the NTTR!!! In fact, VR users are at a distinct disadvantage in that arena, especially if you consider the limited zoom capability in VR vs monitor users in DCS. If real pilots had the eyesight of a DCS VR user they'd be grounded instantly and stripped of their wings!...In close SA and immersion is outstanding however!

Regardless, I'd happily bin the nvg mod as all the servers I've been curious about seem to run exclusively in daylight.

As for the cockpit/cockpit lighting mods, these are quite literally for legibility in-cockpit, and pretty much isolated to the Kamov which I love flying, but has it's textures totally borked since deferred shading was fused into the game engine.

When I mentioned in-game performance I was directly meaning the frames per second variety - VR is as demanding on a rig as it gets. That's where the Kegetys and hanger mod come in.

And the others are for switch functionality that's missing from various modules - I'm a pit/controller builder also and these mods are essential for getting all the cockpit switchology working as it should in the physical world.

All that said, your point is quite humbly taken - Even if my personal intentions are honest and benign, it doesn't mean that they apply to all. I get that it leaves the system open for abuse - I was just kinda hoping (possibly naively), that as we're such a smaller and niche community with a very common interest, then abusing it might not be such a factor or issue that's encountered.

I mean, it's not like we're playing with the GTA:Online guys! That's the real lower end of the online gaming evolutionary scale!...great fun though, at times.

I might see if there's a way to keep elements of the Kegetys mod and my input.luas and ditch the rest...that might just be workable.

Thanks dude.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio