2.5 trees

159_Archer

Other than their appearance, I haven't seen any discussion about the new trees in 2.5 and collidability.

I much prefer the look of the new ones and the fact they are now collidable. The fact that they damage aircraft set some of us in the 159th GAR wondering if they stopped anything else -weapons specifically.

So we have done a little testing, and if you haven't seen it yourself I can give a quick sumation of what we found out in a very-unscientific test.

Bullets and cannon rounds don't appear affected and sail on through trees. All bombs and missiles (of a limited test sample) all appear to be stopped dead in their tracks. So much so that anything on the reverse side of a tree that is hit will suffer no damage at all! I went to the extreme of causing a big 'explosion' very near a bungalow (in game you understand...) with a tree or 2 in between. The explosion completely destroyed my Mi-8 hovering 100m away but didn't even remove a single roof-tile from the bungalow -not particularly realistic.

I am not going to gripe here (other bigger fixes required in game way more important than this) but just wondered if anything can be done to allow some blast effect to penetrate trees to allow a little more realism at some point?

I will say to the ED team -nice job on the 2.5 map -really big improvement -thanks!

rDmSJE.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

• ED Team

Hi

You are unlikely to see any damage to buildings, they are either alive and up or dead and down, there is no in-between

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

You are unlikely to see any damage to buildings, they are either alive and up or dead and down, there is no in-between

:doh: You know -that didn't occur to me...

That said, the force of the explosion I used should have left no more than 2 courses of brick standing -look at what's left of the Hip...

OK, looks like I need my explosives kit out again -and this time do the test with something with scaleable damage!? :D

Thx for the quick reply.:thumbup:

Edited by 159_Archer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

One of the 1.5 default missions has trucks now hiding in a piece of forest (they're moved couple of hundred yards in the 2.5 provided - same - missions).

But I can - still - hit these by blindly spraying cannon fire approximately at the TGP designator, can even search, lock on and destroy with MK-D or blindly area lock with MK-H and have kills.

Wonderful ...

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

on dynamic caucuses last night my laser guided GBU12 hit a tree in front of a T-55 and did not kill the T-55.... i had to change my approach to come from NW in order to hit the tank again from the other side unobstructed. I didnt think much of it... maybe there is an issue though?

I think it might be a good idea to test more? Should be easy to do I'd think?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL