1st Sound change question

Backdraft

Hello All i have been looking around for 3 days reading posts and the sticky's and watching youtube videos and still cant find the answer/guidance/what to do.. I made a sound change for the APU start. I found the sound that is real figured out how to make a wav. and then took out the original one in the Sound folder and put mine in. But and then started game and the old sound played. So 1st question is i took old wav out so how is it still playing. and 2 what am i missing to do. Please help.. Ive restarted the game then the PC and still the same. Thanks in advance and look forward to your guidance

Euge

Delete the current sound and run a repair. From there, I'd study the structure of existing sound mods, and compare/contrast with the default.

I don't know why your new (and improved?) sound failed to play, but before doing any modding (or any fooling around) to DCS, I would download and install OVGME, and run all my goof-offs, edits, and mods through that, so if I seriously screw something up, I can simply disable my change, leaving DCS unharmed (9.9/10 of the time).

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Try the .ogg format.

Worth a shot.

Some sounds use this format.

Menu music as well.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Many modules are using common samples between themselves (which makes sound modding damn annoying if you ask me). For example MiG-21 uses some engine samples from Su-25 and cannon sample from Gazelle.

The sample you found is most likely not used by this particular module, even if it seems to be the same. Locating the right one, though... I dunno how to do that!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

So the next logical question is,

Does the sim read and use a sound folder in a mod before the main sim files?

In other words,

If you create sound folders that match the main sim, place them in a mod and install them as part of a aircraft mod, will they work?

They would exist in the saved games folder.

As I understood it, at least before the merge, that this was the sim behavior.

If the files were not found, then the main folder was used.

Correct me if I am wrong.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Shoot Hawkeye your gues is as good mine, but that would kinda make sense if I took out the WAV for the APU Start and put mine in. but it still played old one. I gues my question is now to all you are the sound guys. what/where would engine sounds be. I found mine in Engines/Sounds then took the wav out. where else would it be?