Chaff/Flare selctor switch usage?

QuiGon

I'm wondering about the chaff/flare selector switch (R, R+F, F) and its usage, because to drop flares I have to use the fast countermessures dispense button and to drop chaff I have to use the countermeassure release switch on the canopy frame. The chaff/flare selector switch doesn't seem to do anything?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

AFAIK, flares are only dropped in quick mode. The chaff/flare selector (CFS) switch has mainly impact in quick mode as well: R=Chaff only, R+F=Chaff+Flare, F=Flares only.

Here is a table of how I read the manual (some time ago): https://github.com/funkyfranky/MyKneeboards/blob/master/AJS37/AJS37-Warfare-190.png

If not using the quick mode, chaff/flare selector should probably be in R or R+F. No sure if it is supposed to work in F as well. Does it?

Are chaff not dispensed when you use the Quick Release Button (QRB) and have R or R+F selected? (sorry, cant test right now)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

If not using the quick mode, chaff/flare selector should probably be in R or R+F. No sure if it is supposed to work in F as well. Does it?

The regular dispense (not quick mode) does indeed not work in F, meaning nothing gets dispensed in this mode. It does indeed only work in R or R+F.

Are chaff not dispensed when you use the Quick Release Button (QRB) and have R or R+F selected? (sorry, cant test right now)

I tested quick mode with R+F and it is only dispensing flares, but no chaff. Haven't tested in mode R.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I tested quick mode with R+F and it is only dispensing flares, but no chaff.

Just tested quickly and it drops chaff and flare in R+F for me. But both at the same time.

Manual p. 124 about quick release states:

In mode R+F, chaff is dispensed according to program 2, with a single flare every other second.

In R it only drops chaff and in F only flares.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

I downloaded yesterday this navigation tutorial from JohnXX (link in youtube). I wanted to test the chaffs&flares so I reloaded a CM pod for left side instead of the anti-ship missile. Well there is this boat on waypoint 4 and I wanted it to go sleep with the fish, but the remaining rocket would not fire. C&F were working ok.

Now, there was something about mixed load-outs and so, but to me it looked more like a bug if CM pod blocks the other side pylon from carrying ordnance...

Anyone else with the issue. I did not retest it again...

Just tested quickly and it drops chaff and flare in R+F for me. But both at the same time.

Manual p. 124 about quick release states:

In R it only drops chaff and in F only flares.

Oh, well, I guess I haven't looked close enough then to see the chaff besides the flare. :music_whistling:

So the selector is working fine, but is only usable with the fast dispense mode (which I guess is how it is supposed to be). All good then, thanks for checking this :thumbup:

I downloaded yesterday this navigation tutorial from JohnXX (link in youtube). I wanted to test the chaffs&flares so I reloaded a CM pod for left side instead of the anti-ship missile. Well there is this boat on waypoint 4 and I wanted it to go sleep with the fish, but the remaining rocket would not fire. C&F were working ok.

Now, there was something about mixed load-outs and so, but to me it looked more like a bug if CM pod blocks the other side pylon from carrying ordnance...

Anyone else with the issue. I did not retest it again...

It's not entirely clear to me what you did? You don't say what weapon you tried to use. Was it an Rb-04E or an RB-15F or something entirely different? You put the missile on one pylon and the CM pod on the same pylon on the other wing? In case of an Rb-04E this should definitely work (make you you set the salvo switch to IMP). I used this loadout in the past. In case of the RB-15 I would assume it would work as well, but I have never tried that one.

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's not entirely clear to me what you did? You don't say what weapon you tried to use. Was it an Rb-04E or an RB-15F or something entirely different? You put the missile on one pylon and the CM pod on the same pylon on the other wing? In case of an Rb-04E this should definitely work (make you you set the salvo switch to IMP). I used this loadout in the past. In case of the RB-15 I would assume it would work as well, but I have never tried that one.

I am pretty sure it is RB-04E in that mission. Yes, left side CM pod, right side missile. I tried both IMP and salvo I should think, I struggled quite awhile with it. Ok, anyway, good to know, I will need to test it again...

All good then, ...

:thumbup: And the icing on the cake would now be if deployment of the expendables would alternate between chaff and flare every second in R+F quick release as the manual suggests.

Just because we are at it, the Grime Reapers uploaded a vid about CM yesterday. I did not watch the whole thing. But at 13:00 you can see the C+F coming out at the same time.