DCS Persian Gulf - terrain noise tiles fix.

Hey all thought I'd share this little alteration I made for the Persian Gulf map, it fixes the unsightly faint terrain repetition stripes that you can occasionally see across the terrain, an example of before and after:

stock textures

8WPIPhO.jpg

after the corrections

KuU77kH.jpg

Download link (24mb)

updated 11th Dec 2020 - included altered Hormuz.lua file for enahnced colour and gamma levels.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T2hZqDiDdLVOl5EgB2yS57GDB9kUkqtK/view?usp=sharing

To use simply extract the 'Mods' folder to the root directory of DCS World

Be aware that many multiplayer servers do not allow the use of texture modifications and using this mod may make you fail integrity check (104th Dedicated server allows the use of modified textures)

Edited by Mustang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Mustang.... Wicked Man, thanks for your hard work again... Outstanding dedication and professional modding for all of us.. cheers :)

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

I have just added a tuned terrainoptions41.lua to the package, this improves the quality of the terrain textures - I have been testing this extensively for days and I cannot see any difference in terms of FPS impact.

Before alterations:

tBLcsgc.jpg

After alterations:

vKNHTt3.jpg

Great! I need this (and noticed this strange line also).

Thx!

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

yep, much appreciated! Btw, did you just increase the sharpening filter or something or play aroudn with the lod values?

I gave the modified textures a tiny sharpening boost via the mipmaps, I *think* they look a bit better.

edit: took the sharpening away now in latest version, they actually work better without it.

Edited by Mustang

It's better now!

vD5btjAh.jpg

SXjyY6mh.jpg

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

BTW.

back to normal textures.

After few minutes I have CTD whole DCS, removed this mod = no CTD.

Many errors in LOGS like this:

2018-06-03 13:35:22.077 ERROR EDTERRAINGRAPHICS41

Installed "DCS Persian Gulf noise textures fix" folder by JSGME.

Maybe this file isn't JSGME ready?

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

BTW.

back to normal textures.

After few minutes I have CTD whole DCS, removed this mod = no CTD.

Many errors in LOGS like this:

2018-06-03 13:35:22.077 ERROR EDTERRAINGRAPHICS41

Installed "DCS Persian Gulf noise textures fix" folder by JSGME.

Maybe this file isn't JSGME ready?

Hmm not sure what the problem is on your end it functions fine here for hours on end on a machine far less capable than yours and in an MP environment that is highly taxing, sorry.

Anyways a few pics

gBlx45h.jpg

CQZbm8R.jpg

R8OvOTF.jpg

Edited by Mustang

So i have tried it on NTTR and looks really great. I guess it is being applied to all maps since the terrainoptions.lua ain't terrain specific, right?

But, and thats just me with my old 2gb amd 7870, for me laggs too much since 2gb is barely enough to handle NTTR, Caucasus is really stretching it. Once i get a new gpu, i will come back and bask in that sharpend glory.

Do you think ED might have an ear to implement both the fix and sharpening filter in vanilla DCS? The sharpening filter surely is bit more taxing on the system, maybe only depeding on gpu vram. ED could add a check box in the graphics settings so people with better gpus can enjoy that crsiper look!

sorry but I don't see any diference between both picture are the same.

I really think you have to see it in game. If you are familiar with NTTR (I dont have Persian Gulf) you will notice the difference. The terrain is more detailed/sharper with the mod.

i7-6850K | GTX1080 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Pro

Its possible to make the same changes for Nevada?

I will appreciate an increase in sharpness

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Nice ! Thanks Mustang !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Just updated the mod package a little:

* Removed the soft mipmap sharpen from the 5 textures (in hindsight it's unnecessary and spoils the image a little)

* Changed the updatestep parameters in terrainoptions41.lua (increased to 512 from 256)

I'll try to obtain some pics later of how it looks now but it's quite subtle in a see for yourself kinda way :)

3KrSUNJh.jpg

No CTD with this version, thx.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif