A2A radar

Elyos

Hello. I'm new to DCS and plan to get harrier. I saw some post that say Razbam is going to add radar for a2a missiles. Any news about that?

Not AFAIK, there may have been talk of an additional module (AV-8B+ Day Attack or similar ) at a later date as part of someone's wishlist.

The Harrier in DCS is the Night Attack variant with FLIR, ARBS, etc.

Edited by Ramsay
ABRIS -> ARBS

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Not AFAIK, there may have been talk of an additional module (AV-8B+ Day Attack or similar ) at a later date as part of someone's wishlist.

The Harrier in DCS is the Night Attack variant with FLIR, ABRIS, etc.

If I remember correctly, the main holdup on an A/V-8B+ was a lack of ground radar code native to DCS. RAZBAM doesn't seem interested in doing their own from scratch, as Heatblur or Dekka have done, so they are waiting for ED to get it done for the viper and bug so it becomes part of the core code base.

I also remember it being said that a B+ would be a separate module, rather than part of the Night Attack module.

Either way, movement on that front is not to be expected until the current aircraft are polished off.

Not any time soon if ever.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thank all of you.

B+ variant would be nice.

I cant decide which module to get. I want something more "universal" than only ground attacker and that's why I was hoping for B+ variant. Maybe hornet or viper? any suggestions?

Hornet or Viper if you're into modern aircraft. Keep in mind that both are EA, and while the Hornet is somewhat fleshed out the Viper is still very new so it has less functionality.

If you like older jets you could also consider the Tomcat or even the F5 or Mig21, all are fairly good at both a/a and a/g.

Thank all of you.

I cant decide which module to get. I want something more "universal" than only ground attacker and that's why I was hoping for B+ variant. Maybe hornet or viper? any suggestions?

Hornet IMO. Its like a harrier without Vstol.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thank all of you.

Viper is very barebones right now so I'd suggest Hornet. It has similar avionics to the Harrier should you ever want to learn it.

It's also worth mentioning that the Night Attack Harrier in DCS has AIM-9 even if it's not a dogfighter. And regardless of B+ or NA version, the Harrier is not a nimble fighter like the Hornet or Viper. B+ can mount AMRAAMs but it will never be as good at it as Hornet.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Viper is very barebones right now so I'd suggest Hornet. It has similar avionics to the Harrier should you ever want to learn it.

It's also worth mentioning that the Night Attack Harrier in DCS has AIM-9 even if it's not a dogfighter. And regardless of B+ or NA version, the Harrier is not a nimble fighter like the Hornet or Viper. B+ can mount AMRAAMs but it will never be as good at it as Hornet.

Even with the aim9s it lacks hugely in terms of SA due to no radar if you are playing without lables on, or are a visual spotting master. It was designed to be a bomb truck and its great at that. A/A on an online server, not so much. Maybe a huey hunter.

Harrier was my first ever flown sim aircraft from back GTA San Andreas :D

It is very iconic AC for me so I'm gonna get it anyway and then think between harrier and viper.

Thank you guys.

The Harrier is a ground attack aircraft that can do limited air combat. A real multirole aircraft and still NAVY/USMC with carrier ops would be the F/A-18C. If carrier ops is not important, the F-16C is cool multi role fighter... then, there is still the JF-17 in the pipeline, which will be a more exotic F-16C with a badass glass cockpit...

personally I would go for the F/A-18C after the Harrier, as you can reuse a lot of procedures and stuff learned between the two. From carrier approach pattern to RWR symbology etc.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 2 months later...

The Harrier in DCS is the Night Attack variant with FLIR, ARBS, etc.

There is no such thing as a AV-8B+ Day attack.

The Harrier II consisted of Day Attack (w/ F402-RR-406 engine), Night Attack (w/ F402-RR-406B/408 engine), and Radar Attack (the II+) (w/ F402-RR-408A/408B) engine models.