Potential Multiplayer Campaign

SUNTSAG

Hi All,

As an ex RAF Harrier Force veteran, I am considering the creation of such a campaign. I hasten to add I was not a pilot but I was fortunate enough to have a flight in a 233 OCU T-Bird back in the mid 80s.

Before I contemplate starting something of this nature, I wanted to gauge interest in the wider community. If you could take a look at the image that briefly outlines some potential content and you like the premise. Could I ask you to +1 in this thread below?

Many thanks

:thumbup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=167320&stc=1&d=1502452778

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi All,

As an ex RAF Harrier Force veteran, I am considering the creation of such a campaign. I hasten to add I was not a pilot but I was fortunate enough to have a flight in a 233 OCU T-Bird back in the mid 80s.

Before I contemplate starting something of this nature, I wanted to gauge interest in the wider community. If you could take a look at the image that briefly outlines some potential content and you like the premise. Could I ask you to +1 in this thread below?

Many thanks

:thumbup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=167320&stc=1&d=1502452778

Sunstag, that looks cracking! I'm all for it personally, it'll be engaging and a good learning curve!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the idea of a multiplayer campaign.

I'm a bit confused about the specifics you have laid out, including a dual-theater campaign in the Caribean + Norway (please correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish).

We obviously don't have a Caribean or Norway theater for DCS. A Norway theater is rumored, but it will be years before it is released.

To have a dual-theater campaign you would need a DCS version that has 2+ maps, and the only such version we have is 2.1, and the only maps are Nevada and Normandy.

How would this be done?

Final question, I respect that you're an RAF Harrier veteran, but do you think it would be unrealistic to do an RAF campaign when we are getting an American Harrier, not a British version?

Please don't interpret my critique as negativity. I love the idea of a multiplayer campaign, I just have some questions :)

I love the idea of a multiplayer campaign.

I'm a bit confused about the specifics you have laid out, including a dual-theater campaign in the Caribean + Norway (please correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish).

We obviously don't have a Caribean or Norway theater for DCS. A Norway theater is rumored, but it will be years before it is released.

To have a dual-theater campaign you would need a DCS version that has 2+ maps, and the only such version we have is 2.1, and the only maps are Nevada and Normandy.

How would this be done?

Final question, I respect that you're an RAF Harrier veteran, but do you think it would be unrealistic to do an RAF campaign when we are getting an American Harrier, not a British version?

Please don't interpret my critique as negativity. I love the idea of a multiplayer campaign, I just have some questions :)

Hi DZShizzam,

Thank you your response and your questions are valid and appreciated. I will try to clarify a few points below:

1. Whilst this module is AV8B orientated it has many similarities to its RAF counterpart. In fact I was disappointed to learn we would not receive a GR variant but them's the breaks. I have to work with what's available and a touch of imagination.

2. The detachments to both Norway and the Caribbean are easily represented without the need for additional maps. Norway will use a winter snow bound setting in the Mission Editor whilst Exercise Caribbean Crab is a joint Naval based scenario. Plenty of water about as it currently stands.

3. I have yet to fully decide upon which locations will be used for the theatres of active duty but Mods are available to represent varying locations. I would imagine ED have not even considered the potential for using different maps in a single campaign structure yet. It would be beneficial at some later stage IMHO and an excellent functionality addition.

In summary all of this will depend on how things progress to version 2.5 and what will be available moving forward. The campaign will not be designed to be a 100% factual scenario and as with the majority of campaigns, some imagination will be a prerequisite. I also wanted to provide something different to the usual US/Soviet based missions, a little diversity if you will.

Cheers

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd love a Harrier campaign. It's close enough to the UK version for me. Would it be possible to play it single player as well though? I'd prefer a single player version.

Hi Dave317,

I have thought about that and I am currently mulling around a few ideas on how to enable a MP Campaign to be flown as single player also, negating the need for two versions at release. I need to test a few theories.

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dont bork the mission idea to make it single player please - half the fun in DCS is flying with your friends, we need more Co-Op MP mission of this calibre mate

My 2 cents worth :)

IMPO

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Hi DZShizzam,

Thank you your response and your questions are valid and appreciated. I will try to clarify a few points below:

1. Whilst this module is AV8B orientated it has many similarities to its RAF counterpart. In fact I was disappointed to learn we would not receive a GR variant but them's the breaks. I have to work with what's available and a touch of imagination.

2. The detachments to both Norway and the Caribbean are easily represented without the need for additional maps. Norway will use a winter snow bound setting in the Mission Editor whilst Exercise Caribbean Crab is a joint Naval based scenario. Plenty of water about as it currently stands.

3. I have yet to fully decide upon which locations will be used for the theatres of active duty but Mods are available to represent varying locations. I would imagine ED have not even considered the potential for using different maps in a single campaign structure yet. It would be beneficial at some later stage IMHO and an excellent functionality addition.

In summary all of this will depend on how things progress to version 2.5 and what will be available moving forward. The campaign will not be designed to be a 100% factual scenario and as with the majority of campaigns, some imagination will be a prerequisite. I also wanted to provide something different to the usual US/Soviet based missions, a little diversity if you will.

Cheers

Just my opinion, but I think way more people will play and enjoy your MP campaign if you don't use mods on existing maps to create the effect of a Norway/Caribbean naval theater.

I can definitely suspend my disbelief enough to fly an American Harrier in the RAF, since it's a British designed airframe anyways.

Much of the community that plays DCS have a high attention to detail, and even if you play on the maps we already have, just retextured to represent a different region... well, that could be kinda lame. The textures would be different, but all the landmarks will be the same.

Something I think would be really cool? Having it set in the Normandy map that we already know and love. It is less beaten-to-death than the caucasus map we have gotten to know for the past half decade.

The runways are unfinished so you could have the Harrier operate from a lot of FOBs and unprepared runways, which it was meant to do. It has great possibilities for naval ops. It actually includes part of the UK, the list goes on and on.

Multiplayer campaign would be very much so appreciated. I'm a fan of flying with friends with an objective, be it online servers or Co-op. The training/exercise/combat approach looks like the classic crawl/walk/run transition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

Just my opinion, but I think way more people will play and enjoy your MP campaign if you don't use mods on existing maps to create the effect of a Norway/Caribbean naval theater.

The effects would be for Norway a snowy Caucasus map, And Caribbean a hot summer day, Obviously not in the same area.

SP Will be available

Hi,

To those that expressed an interest in being able to play this in a single player environment. I can confirm that this will be possible, without having to create two versions. It will mean however you will have to select a specific slot that will be clearly detailed in the documentation provided with the campaign/missions. Cheers.

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...