The Rookie Thread

3 hours ago, kotor633 said:

Hello,
I have a question about the communication menu: On the ground I can call up the communication menu using the standard key assignment. However, as soon as I have taken off with the KA-50 it no longer works... Do I have to call up the communication menu differently in the air? But I can't imagine.

Stop using "\" and start using only "RAlt + \" will be my suggestion, or go with VAICOM, a VoiceAttack plugin, to make it more immersive, if voice commands can be an option. 

Cheers! 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, the manual specifies the max take off weight being 10800kg but with atgms, rockets and full fuel is almost a tonne over that, how concerning is that? Or is it only something to keep in mind if operating in high altitudes /  adverse conditions?

That's probably straight out of the limitations section of the real manual. Those are set by flight tests and engineering analysis mostly based on structural factors. Actual takeoff safety performance isn't a fixed number but TOLD calculations on a case by case basis.

The idea is that rolling down the runway at 100 knots and hitting a bump above X weight might put too much stress on metal joints or tires than is safe. Even if it doesn't fall to pieces that run the loads may unacceptably shorten the lifespan of the vehicle. Max weight limits are almost always more about physical damage limits than flight performance.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth the docs I've seen, they just straight up increased those weight limits for the Ka-52 (base one, not naval version - that's different) which has the same airframe/structure/rotors/wings. So that 10800 weight limit is (a little) less about the structural issues. But yeah, 10.8 tonnes is chonky, and you're not supposed to be doing a vertical hover takeoff from that, but rather a rolling/IGE takeoff for heavier weights. The rocket pods way loads, especially the OFP2 or S-13s, so I often dump a bit of fuel if I'm taking off with those and don't need to fly for hours. Having the bird closer to 10.4 tonnes or less makes it remarkably more agile.

As for the altitudes/adverse conditions - mainly look at that outlet compressor gas gauge on the front right wall - ideally you're in Cruise (below the lowest yellow chevron) rather than hover or takeoff power notches. The EEG's will limit your output regardless to keep your temps in check, though I'm sure IRL they'd prefer it not to by in the higher regimes for long for maintenance / longevity. If you don't care about those "real life" concerns, you can absolutely redline it well over 11 tonnes and you won't experience failures because of it.

• Thanks 1

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 5:10 AM, Volk. said:

For what it's worth the docs I've seen, they just straight up increased those weight limits for the Ka-52 (base one, not naval version - that's different) which has the same airframe/structure/rotors/wings. So that 10800 weight limit is (a little) less about the structural issues. But yeah, 10.8 tonnes is chonky, and you're not supposed to be doing a vertical hover takeoff from that, but rather a rolling/IGE takeoff for heavier weights. The rocket pods way loads, especially the OFP2 or S-13s, so I often dump a bit of fuel if I'm taking off with those and don't need to fly for hours. Having the bird closer to 10.4 tonnes or less makes it remarkably more agile.

As for the altitudes/adverse conditions - mainly look at that outlet compressor gas gauge on the front right wall - ideally you're in Cruise (below the lowest yellow chevron) rather than hover or takeoff power notches. The EEG's will limit your output regardless to keep your temps in check, though I'm sure IRL they'd prefer it not to by in the higher regimes for long for maintenance / longevity. If you don't care about those "real life" concerns, you can absolutely redline it well over 11 tonnes and you won't experience failures because of it.

Someone suggested your channel in another thread. Just checked it out and it's gold!

Looking forward to watching more videos later today. Thanks for the effort.

• Thanks 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2022 at 5:10 AM, Volk. said:

Have you ever tried turning the engine governors off to get more performance? Would it make you able to kill the engines by being in high ERP for too long?