Usaf in the late 1950s

catt42

Hi everybody,

Could anyone please provide some references or first hand stories about Usaf in the late 1950s?

I'd like to learn more about training, Atc, range procedures, syllabi, etc.

In particular I'm interested in the training of Sabre’s pilots at Fighter Weapons School at Nellis.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Documents

Hallo Catt42,I am a fan of flying and I have many modules, I have always found it useful to review this document written precisely in the 50s for pilots.:libro: If I find other materials I will put them here,sorry for my english :( good flight!: Thumbup: [ATTACH]179728[/ATTACH]

NO GUTS NO GLORY - A GUIDE TO SABRE COMBAT.pdf

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

• 6 months later...

I'm reading this right now and after a week of experimentation beforehand and so called energy tactics, I realize I am still way off. I think Sabres need to merge or better yet bounce MiG-15s at 30,000 ft, plus and use very large turning circles and 4 ship/element tactics to score kills. Even on Average skill level, 1v1, the 15 will still fight in the vertical and sap off all your energy, only to scoot off and up with it's superior thrust to weight and climbing ability. Even then, the near zero g maneuvering at the peak of it's "yoyo" more like "boost fest" you will have a hard time with deflection under the nose and poor control at stall in the Sabre. You need to fight at high mach, energy and altitude. That is my next plan for practice. IIRC, the MiG enjoys a greater than 10% advantage in thrust to weight over the Sabre. Mig is above 50%, Sabre is below in the 40s. It can't get out of it's own way below 300kts. Less than 10,000 feet leaves no room to dive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

There are several good videos on YouTube of the documentaries made on the Korean air war. Dogfights, Battle Stations and some others. After the 6-3 wing was introduced on the Sabres, (F-86F) it helped reduce weight and improve service ceiling but the loss of low speed handling characteristics was still a problem. So they retrofitted slats back on many of these and later types with mods to make them work. After a lot of loop fighting and shooting distances achieved near stall in the F, I can see the excellent reasons for doing this. It also helped handling in the pattern and lowered the accident rate for new pilots learning the ship with low hours in the plane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]