[Need help] How to project the HUD (HMD) over a screen?

xTCEAx Rafale

Hello

I need your help !

As a real fan of the Hornet, I'm building a kind of cockpit.

I have 2 screens for the moment :

- 1st is a projector with DCS

- 2nd is a computer screen for Helios

I would like to reflect the HUD data (it seems to me that it's called HMD inside DCS) over a reflective piece of glass.

Could anybody help me ?

Thanks a lot, and as we say in France "A la chasse bordel !"

HMD stands for Helmet Mounted Device and does not reflect the HUD entirely. The symbology can be different, although some information which is displayed on the HUD is also displayed on the HMD. It is basically another screen which is projected into the helmet glass.

Do you want to rebuild an entire HUD by yourself?

It seems to be the "AVQ32" (here: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\HUD_AVQ32\indicator )

but... result is really bad...

sqtYcVg.png

yFgQRy2.png

Moving the plane (then the HUD), I can guess some lines of the HUD moving in the big green shape

I guess only someone from ED can help you on this one!

My DCS contributions:
- My mods/skins: here
- My server/missions scripts: there
- My Discord bot:
this place
If you want to thank me buying a coffee☕/beer🍺, feel free:
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/Astazou

As an alternative, maybe exporting the HUD DDI page would yield a good enough result. Assuming it's possible to keep the page itself exported permanently, not the DDI.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Thanks to all of you for your help and precious time.

Astazou : that's weird. I'm sure we're close.

Harker : yes, I even considered to duplicate the left DDI "for the moment".

Sryan you may have found a way : maybe I can explore DCS' folder about this view and just change the location of the HUD !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Rafale,

I'm working through a similar situation myself... Looking at options to build a HUD. I've ordered some reflective HUD film from eBay (for an automotive HUD, should do the job), but still only at the research stage, throwing ideas around.

I'm at the very early stages of looking at Helios. So far I haven't seen a way to export the HUD elements, but I've only been looking at it for a short time, scratching the surface.

Physically, I'm looking at either slaving a HUD onto a phone/tablet/LCD/projector, then reflecting it up to the glass with the reflective HUD film. I figure a straight reflection of a screen should be simple enough if I can get a good HUD export, a projector may give more control over intensity, but might need more precision in placement, or corrective lensing to get a good image. I can get a small 320x240 projector for about $20, but might need to play with focal lengths, throw distance, image size etc.

Here's a thread for a HUD on the A-10C from 2012...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89974

I'm still digging, curious if you found any further info? Any simple solutions?

• 2 years later...