The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

9 hours ago, diamond26 said:

@SkateZilla I noticed that the latest version doesn't keep the application settings after restart 

nullnull

image.png

image.png

Please Attach a Copy of the App Log File.

7 hours ago, Bucic said:

I have problems with scaling of text in the GUI. I use system scaling of 125%, the resolution is 2560x1440. I tried disabling scaling in the executable properties-compatibility but it doesn't seem to work. The text is still cut. Any hints?

Please attach a copy of the App's Log File and a Screenshot.

I will also test on my end, as I think MS changed the .net command for ignoring DPI

Changed both Windows Scaling and Text Scaling and saw no Change in the App's Text.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Stupid question: how to enforce starting in both VR and OpenXR when clicking on Launch DCS button? Clicking on Launch VR ON button works, but it seems the former does not. I have tried to add "--force_OpenXR" to the custom launch argument but no avail. Thanks in advanced.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Stupid question: how to enforce starting in both VR and OpenXR when clicking on Launch DCS button? Clicking on Launch VR ON button works, but it seems the former does not. I have tried to add "--force_OpenXR" to the custom launch argument but no avail. Thanks in advanced.

The General Launch Button does not inherit VR Arguments.

--force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR should work for launch arguments.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Will give it a try, thanks

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

19 hours ago, Bucic said:

Ok I Was finally able to re-produce this on my end w/ my 4K display,

The General Windows Scaling and Text Scaling in Windows 11 had no effect,
However, the Custom Scaling in Windows 10 / Windows 11 did cause the same effect you are experiencing.

Working w/ MS, so far, they state there's no way to over-ride that DPI Setting which is why it's a not recommended / advanced feature in windows 10/11.

As I have tried making DpiAware false in my manifest as well as app settings key to disable HighDPI Option.

I set scaling back to 100 in the text box, logged out of windows and back in and the app was fine again.

image.png

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

Ok I Was finally able to re-produce this on my end w/ my 4K display,

The General Windows Scaling and Text Scaling in Windows 11 had no effect,
However, the Custom Scaling in Windows 10 / Windows 11 did cause the same effect you are experiencing.

Working w/ MS, so far, they state there's no way to over-ride that DPI Setting which is why it's a not recommended / advanced feature in windows 10/11.

As I have tried making DpiAware false in my manifest as well as app settings key to disable HighDPI Option.

I set scaling back to 100 in the text box, logged out of windows and back in and the app was fine again.

image.png

I don't quite get it. Do you intend to update the app or is there something on my end I could do?

38 minutes ago, Bucic said:

I don't quite get it. Do you intend to update the app or is there something on my end I could do?

There's nothing I can do on my end, Microsoft states it's not recommended to use the Custom Scaling to Force the DPI Override,
The DPI Override option in windows overrides all DPI Settings, which is why MS Put the Warning on that screen, there's no way to keep it from changing the app.

The General Scaling and Text Scaling Options use DPIAware Infastructure.

The same warning is present in Windows 10
image.png

Edited by SkateZilla

5 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

There's nothing I can do on my end, Microsoft states it's not recommended to use the Custom Scaling to Force the DPI Override,
The DPI Override option in windows overrides all DPI Settings, which is why MS Put the Warning on that screen, there's no way to keep it from changing the app.

The General Scaling and Text Scaling Options use DPIAware Infastructure.

The same warning is present in Windows 10
image.png

This is weird. I have always thought it's the same setting. It turns out it separate, with cryptic meaning. I went ahead and disabled scaling, then made sure to change the scaling back to 125% in the shortest path possible, Settings>System>Display - Scale and layout dropdown. I always did it via a quick start menu search for "scaling". What do you know! I always say how youngsters don't know how good they have it with searchable settings. Back in the day, pre internet, pre Win7, we had to memorize locations of all useful settings or keep finding them anew! 👴

To be clear, your Launcher GUI Utility text is not cut anymore. Trade-off: text is blury, same as with a hundred other apps when scaling is enabled, so no biggy.

Anyway, amazing work. I still can't see myself using it regularly with my very limited DCS needs, but solid job nonetheless. Sorry for OT, but what is the go-to solution for mod management these days? So that I can disable them all and enable them back again after each DCS update? OpenModManager?

PS. The design of the GUI reminds me of that pinnacle of usability called SUPER video converter 🙂 Seriously, you could make a snapshot of tens of nicely laid out settings with a single screenshot. Nowadays we have tab infestation

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bucic said:

This is weird. I have always thought it's the same setting. It turns out it separate, with cryptic meaning. I went ahead and disabled scaling, then made sure to change the scaling back to 125% in the shortest path possible, Settings>System>Display - Scale and layout dropdown. I always did it via a quick start menu search for "scaling". What do you know! I always say how youngsters don't know how good they have it with searchable settings. Back in the day, pre internet, pre Win7, we had to memorize locations of all useful settings or keep finding them anew! 👴

To be clear, your Launcher GUI Utility text is not cut anymore. Trade-off: text is blury, same as with a hundred other apps when scaling is enabled, so no biggy.

Anyway, amazing work. I still can't see myself using it regularly with my very limited DCS needs, but solid job nonetheless. Sorry for OT, but what is the go-to solution for mod management these days? So that I can disable them all and enable them back again after each DCS update? OpenModManager?

PS. The design of the GUI reminds me of that pinnacle of usability called SUPER video converter 🙂 Seriously, you could make a snapshot of tens of nicely laid out settings with a single screenshot. Nowadays we have tab infestation

Blurry Text is what I get on my Screen when using scaling, which is why I stopped using it, it was hard to read some webpages etc.

As for Mod Management, I dont use any, so I couldn't tell you, I manage my mods on my own.

14 hours ago, Bucic said:

Sorry for OT, but what is the go-to solution for mod management these days? So that I can disable them all and enable them back again after each DCS update? OpenModManager?

That’s certainly what I have been using successfully for the last couple of years. 

• Like 3

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

4 hours ago, ElvisDaKang said:

SkateZ - you DO use your own MOD mgr though correct ? 

I have really enjoyed using it - very user friendly. 

i dont use a mod manager, I physically move and uninstall mods on my own, I have too many builds between General gameplay builds, DCS Testing, mod developing, mod testing, etc to have a program try to manage anything.

4 hours ago, ElvisDaKang said:

I may be VERY wrong in referring to The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+) as a mod manager - if so forgive me but I always thought thats what it is.   THX !!!! 

Mod Manager, no.
Module Manager, yes.

Edited by SkateZilla

I manually install my stuff too...every time you update, those files get put in a storage folder anyways and its not all that hard to just drag and drop them back into place.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

16 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I manually install my stuff too...every time you update, those files get put in a storage folder anyways and its not all that hard to just drag and drop them back into place.

Each to his own, obviously, but that is still harder than clicking one button to install/uninstall all mods in OMM. 
I guess we’re getting OT though. 

• Like 3

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

6 hours ago, imacken said:

Each to his own, obviously, but that is still harder than clicking one button to install/uninstall all mods in OMM. 
I guess we’re getting OT though. 

The issue with DCS and Mod managers, is there's half a dozen different types of mods.
You got Independent Saved Games mods, shader modification mods, total texture replacement mods, mods that merge w/ Core Modules, mods that overwrite core modules, mods that merge with other mods and core modules.

there's literally no standard, because some mods, cannot be put in the /SG folder due to running off embedded and protected DLLs. etc etc.

Which was one major issue I was having with creating my own, which is why in early dev shots there was a mod manager, but it was removed before the public launch of the new app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The newest build 2.0.0.33 loads, gets past the loading page and then closes, after checking in the Event viewer I am getting a .net failure when I start the app. 2.0.0.32 runs fine.  I have cleaned the saved games folder and let it rebuild all the files there hoping that would fix it.  Any ideas?

12 minutes ago, Camelot101 said:

The newest build 2.0.0.33 loads, gets past the loading page and then closes, after checking in the Event viewer I am getting a .net failure when I start the app. 2.0.0.32 runs fine.  I have cleaned the saved games folder and let it rebuild all the files there hoping that would fix it.  Any ideas?

Saved Games wont do anything, 

%APPDATA%\Local\Skate Zilla Simulations\
is where the files for configuration are kept.

Also, can you post the .net error so I can look into it.

Edited by SkateZilla

33 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

Also, can you post the .net error so I can look into it.

Application: DCS Updater GUI Utility.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(System.String, System.Text.Encoding, Boolean, Int32, Boolean)
   at System.IO.File.InternalReadAllText(System.String, System.Text.Encoding, Boolean)
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form1.CHECK_LOCALIZATION()
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form1.BUILD_SELECT()
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form1.FOLDER_SCAN_AND_VERIFY_MULTI_THREAD()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Faulting application name: DCS Updater GUI Utility.exe, version: 7.10.2023.0, time stamp: 0xbc19e3d4
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1928, time stamp: 0xe9af6ed4
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000064b2c
Faulting process id: 0x0x4894
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9BBE76B96BBCB
Faulting application path: D:\DCS Updater Utility v2.0\DCS Updater GUI Utility.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: b2d98069-59f8-4ec3-9824-f486c4e52586
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I get both of these every time I start .33

But I cleaned out the APPDATA folder, and it starts and runs!  Thanks for the help.

Edited by Camelot101

30 minutes ago, Camelot101 said:

Application: DCS Updater GUI Utility.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(System.String, System.Text.Encoding, Boolean, Int32, Boolean)
   at System.IO.File.InternalReadAllText(System.String, System.Text.Encoding, Boolean)
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form1.CHECK_LOCALIZATION()
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form1.BUILD_SELECT()
   at DCS_Updater_GUI_Utility.Form1.FOLDER_SCAN_AND_VERIFY_MULTI_THREAD()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Faulting application name: DCS Updater GUI Utility.exe, version: 7.10.2023.0, time stamp: 0xbc19e3d4
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1928, time stamp: 0xe9af6ed4
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000064b2c
Faulting process id: 0x0x4894
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9BBE76B96BBCB
Faulting application path: D:\DCS Updater Utility v2.0\DCS Updater GUI Utility.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: b2d98069-59f8-4ec3-9824-f486c4e52586
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I get both of these every time I start .33

But I cleaned out the APPDATA folder, and it starts and runs!  Thanks for the help.

There was a corrupt folder path,
I though I had wrapped exception catches around them all I will have to double check them.

• Like 1

I downloaded this software solely for the purpose of trying out VR. I must comment that this software has introduced more hazzle than positives so far. I have set my preset to have VR on and I click the "Launch VR ON"-button. Yet I still don't have the VR as on in the game settings. Now even though the updater app hasn't managed to set the VR-setting on, it has managed to update lot of other settings. For example I have the game mode on, and all the possible other settings configured differently.

I try different settings and hope they work... Only to find out that after the current 4 minute loading time of DCS they didn't work with the software. Repeat the process of closing DCS, clicking settings in DCS Updater and again all the settings in DCS are reverted, including the game mode.

I probably miss some critical information to use this software. All in all, not recommending this software.

10 minutes ago, Eraseri said:

I probably miss some critical information to use this software. All in all, not recommending this software.

What if you use VR Headset as preset instead of VR (on the main page)?

Must say that the presets setting in this 2.0 version are still messy compared to the previous version.  I can't get them to work as it did with the old version neither.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

6 hours ago, Eraseri said:

I downloaded this software solely for the purpose of trying out VR. I must comment that this software has introduced more hazzle than positives so far. I have set my preset to have VR on and I click the "Launch VR ON"-button. Yet I still don't have the VR as on in the game settings. Now even though the updater app hasn't managed to set the VR-setting on, it has managed to update lot of other settings. For example I have the game mode on, and all the possible other settings configured differently.

I try different settings and hope they work... Only to find out that after the current 4 minute loading time of DCS they didn't work with the software. Repeat the process of closing DCS, clicking settings in DCS Updater and again all the settings in DCS are reverted, including the game mode.

on the Advanced Launcher Tab, is there a VR API Set?

This is essentially a Power User Tool.

• Like 1