Goodbye VR... for now at least.

GunSlingerAUS

you will have to accept that some think you are wrong, this thread has gone on for a while now and you have expressed your views and many of us understand your point of view but sometimes you just got to let it go and move on :)

Sure, but they also have to accept that I'm allowed to share my opinion of VR. Given the huge number of posts on this forum where people are asking how they can improve their VR experience, I think it's helpful for these posters to know that they're not doing anything wrong, despite being told otherwise by the VR lobbyists!

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but they also have to accept that I'm allowed to share my opinion of VR. Given the huge number of posts on this forum where people are asking how they can improve their VR experience, I think it's helpful for these posters to know that they're not doing anything wrong, despite being told otherwise by the VR lobbyists!

I asked numerous times how to improve my VR experience here, and more that often the community (or VR lobbyists as you call 'em) actually helped me get better visuals and performance. First for my cv1, now for my Reverb. There's lots of options/settings available to tinker with and some of them I would have never knew if it wasn't for the "VR lobbyists" here. If it wasn't for the help here, I wouldn't be able to enjoy DCS VR like I do now.

Although some may seek a healthy discussion about it (that's what the forum's for), nobody in this thread ever denied you to share your opinion, so why keep asking for acceptance?

Darn... didn't want to mingle in this "discussion", but it just happened...

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

GunSlingerAUS... I accept that you personally have a terrible experience ... even though you have spent something like twice what i have on hardware. I accept that despite all the advice that does work for others, for some reason it does not work for you. I'm really sorry you have a poor experience in VR.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I get your point of view but IMHO I think you are an exception who has gone through every tweak and update. Your conclusion is perfectly valid and most of us aren't saying your conclusion is wrong, it can't be as that is your opinion on the current state of VR.

However, many of us find it perfectly acceptable, that again is just opinion.

The fact is though that many people are discovering that they can improve their VR experience through forums like these. It is a new tech and constantly changing, keeping on top of it is hard enough even for the PC VR veterans!

I have lost count of the number of people who thought they had reprojection enabled in WMR and after coming back and forth to these forums discovered they hadn't. That will continue as new people join the discussions. There are many other examples of settings, versions of drivers, SteamVR versions, WMR versions, bios tweaks and so on.

Sure, we VR users can get a bit excited, "OMG, I am in the cockpit!" but that is just enthusiasm. It is little different to showing a friend how great a flight combat sim or racing sim on monitors was and they just don't get the same wow sensation and think it is just a computer game!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I get your point of view but IMHO I think you are an exception who has gone through every tweak and update. Your conclusion is perfectly valid and most of us aren't saying your conclusion is wrong, it can't be as that is your opinion on the current state of VR.

However, many of us find it perfectly acceptable, that again is just opinion.

The fact is though that many people are discovering that they can improve their VR experience through forums like these. It is a new tech and constantly changing, keeping on top of it is hard enough even for the PC VR veterans!

I have lost count of the number of people who thought they had reprojection enabled in WMR and after coming back and forth to these forums discovered they hadn't. That will continue as new people join the discussions. There are many other examples of settings, versions of drivers, SteamVR versions, WMR versions, bios tweaks and so on.

Sure, we VR users can get a bit excited, "OMG, I am in the cockpit!" but that is just enthusiasm. It is little different to showing a friend how great a flight combat sim or racing sim on monitors was and they just don't get the same wow sensation and think it is just a computer game!

Here's the thing though - isn't reprojection always enabled for WMR devices, unless they go above 45fps? In which case the tweak mentioned here, and which I posted a link from Valve about, only changes the behaviour above 45fps? As far as I can tell, there is no way to totally turn off reprojection on WMR devices. And that's my whole point - we need to use accurate information to get reliable consistent results. Right now most of the VR advice here is contradictory and incorrect. That's also why I think DCS should have an integrated benchmark, which would be incredibly simple to implement.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

You are correct you have to have at least 45 FPS in order for re-projection to work which means a CPU and GPU response time of less than 22ms each (more in either and it breaks).

You can indeed turn re-projection off, any time you have a speed above 45fps that is not 90fps you are running without re-projection... you are just wrong on this point.

comment out/delete this line "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto".

in default.vrsettings and reboot. by default it is off, you actually have to turn it on...

It's really not clear what such a integrated benchmark would achieve or provide that isn't already available.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

If you do make changes to the VR settings file just remember to restart the WMR portal as well as Steam VR for the changes to take effect.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

There are definitely two different schools of thought here. The majority of us are trying to help others get the best possible VR performance out of their unique setups. A majority of us have posted screen shots of our own settings that we are getting good results with so others can compare apples to apples. And then we have the vocal minority, that dismisses everything the majority is saying, and really offers no helpful advice or even a direction to go for other people. Some here have gotten satisfactory performance while running incredibly high settings and super sampling rates. My experience has been different, but with so many variables involved, I don't have a concrete reason to doubt anyone else's personal experiences or preferences. I simply accept that they're seeing what they're seeing, and leave it at that. I have my Reverb working great now for my liking, and if I want to experiment by trying the advice of others, it is my own choice to do so. If their settings don't do anything for me, I simply set things back to where they were when I was happy with the results. Its really not a big deal. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

You are correct you have to have at least 45 FPS in order for re-projection to work which means a CPU and GPU response time of less than 22ms each (more in either and it breaks).

You can indeed turn re-projection off, any time you have a speed above 45fps that is not 90fps you are running without re-projection... you are just wrong on this point.

comment out/delete this line "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto".

in default.vrsettings and rebo

ot. by default it is off, you actually have to turn it on...

It's really not clear what such a integrated benchmark would achieve or provide that isn't already available.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was trying to say that over 45 fps the reprojection becomes dynamic, switching on and off, which leads to jerky movement. It's in the article I linked to just above, which I think was written by Valve to explain how that tweak works. But there is no way of totally disabling reprojection under 45fps.

A benchmark would allow us to accurately test the many VR performance tips that are floating around, of which many sound like they're placebo.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

GunSlingerAus, mate, give it a rest. You are like one of those dolls where you pull a string in their back, mama, mama ,mama.

You lost it when you started insulting people for having a differing opinion than yours. "rabid virtual fan boys" "super-fans". I thought this was a forum for mature people, but you are bringing it down to the level of a Steam forum.

You go play DCS on your monitor, and I will go play DCS on my Rift. Simple as that.

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4

Well said. I’m completely happy with my CV1 resolution and silky smooth frame rate. I can operate the A10C just fine and I don’t like being told I’m being disingenuous when I say that.

:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was trying to say that over 45 fps the reprojection becomes dynamic, switching on and off, which leads to jerky movement. It's in the article I linked to just above, which I think was written by Valve to explain how that tweak works. But there is no way of totally disabling reprojection under 45fps.

A benchmark would allow us to accurately test the many VR performance tips that are floating around, of which many sound like they're placebo.

OFFS.

Badger is coming off high right...

Hey!

Do you know if it is posible to play dcs in 2D but with your VR headset?

Mi graphics card is lagging behind now (gtx 960) and in "3d" I have to lower the quality a lot in order to have 30fps.

So i'm wondering if is possible to play in 2d using VR and take advantage of the 6DOF tracking

If you are talking motion reprojection it is always off under 45fps.

From the article you linked to:

When motionReprojectionMode is set to "auto", motion reprojection will turn on automatically when a game is rendering too slowly to maintain 90 FPS. When a game begins to maintain 90 FPS or starts rendering at less than 45 FPS, motion reprojection will turn off.

Motion reprojection can be forced on so that if it is 45 or above it will be locked at 45 using the motionvector option. This stops it dynamically switching as you describe.

It can be forced off by commenting out motionreprojection.

Asynchronous rotational reprojection smooths out motion as we turn our heads is always on.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Hey!

Mi graphics card is lagging behind now (gtx 960) and in "3d" I have to lower the quality a lot in order to have 30fps.

So i'm wondering if is possible to play in 2d using VR and take advantage of the 6DOF tracking

I am also really interested in knowing it

I am also really interested in knowing it

Double post

Check this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=262657

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I was impressed when he got to try the early access F-16 and took it right up and did a refuel in a turn like it was nothing.

One can't be more than jealous for these ex-pilots of specific aircrafts as how lucky they are in this era of PC technology.

Like go back to 20 years and third generation VR was a small QVGA in center of the vision and drawn by a few lines.

And these days we have thank to Eagle Dynamics that there is such a change and quality in modern combat aviation simulation, and we have so powerful computers that we can actually run the simulator in such quality that you can actually enjoy from the experience.

Considering ex-pilots that they have change to fly something they did in their career and loved to do so. But this time do so at home etc. Even when the VR will never replicate the reality, the possibility to get close to it is amazing thing.

And that is what makes it jealous, you got to do what you loved to do....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hey!

Yeah, I don't see why not. In the early days, if DCS didn't detect Rift, it just played it out in the HMD as a flat screen (2d) game.

But it's not a great experience because it doesn't fill your HMD with just DCS. It's a screen on a wall where DCS plays. So you will see the "rest of the VR room" and DCS playing on a "tv" hanging on a wall.

And I know there are programs to fill up the screen within VR HMD (BigWall, was it/) but I think the processing over head would kill performance.

Finally, until Reverb came out, resolution wasn't good enough. So the visual clarity of the 2D screen in HMD would be horrible.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1