Video: Su-27 Bomber Intercept Mission

Doc3908

This is the default "Instant Action: Bomber Intercept" mission for the Su-27 in Flaming Cliffs3/DCS 2.5.5. I used to get routinely killed in that mission - mostly by the F-16s with their Aim-120s. They still get me every now and then, but now I'm consistently able to defeat both waves and make it back in one piece. And I finally started playing "the right way" - no labels, limited weapons, limited fuel. Very proud of myself. LoL! :)

Hope you like the video!

Doc

Good effort :thumbup:

The Su-27 can be a real challenge to learn and is hardly the most friendly aircraft to new DCS pilots, but it's seriously satisfying when it all comes together.

The only suggestion I'd make is to consider throttling back to mil thrust once you've launched a 27. That way if the missile misses and you end up in a WVR situation you'll be closer to corner speed rather than being quite a bit above it.

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Another tip, if you're trying to lock up with helmet mode or vertical mode switch your radar off. Radar takes priority over eos so max range to lock will be hard set at 10km by the radar, with eos alone you can usually get a lock at greater range.

When in helmet mode you can tell when radar is on with the иел indication at the bottom centre of the hud.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Another tip, if you're trying to lock up with helmet mode or vertical mode switch your radar off. Radar takes priority over eos so max range to lock will be hard set at 10km by the radar, with eos alone you can usually get a lock at greater range.

When in helmet mode you can tell when radar is on with the иел indication at the bottom centre of the hud.

Thank you for another excellent tip, Frostie!

I have a different problem now: In the last 2-3 attempts at this mission, my wingman gets killed and I run out of missiles. That's not a problem - I can take out the F-16s and the F-4s with the gun. But after taking out 3 planes (F-16, B-52, and one F-4) with the gun, I run out of ammo when chasing the second F-4 and then all I can do is fly behind him and hurl insults at him. :) To make sure every round hits, I started flying real close behind the bandit before I squeeze the trigger. But in the last couple of encounters, I hit the bandit, then his flaming wreck drops on me and kills me while I'm trying to maneuver out of the way at just above stall speed. Clearly, that's not working either - I have to keep my distance when engaging with guns even if it means wasting a few rounds. If only my wingman does his job without getting killed all the time... :)

Put him on hold when you don't need him like 1vs1 or against weak targets. Try different tactics where you keep him on far trail and then Engage or just say Cover me against Vipers.

Btw: You can still try to attack the enemy with your wing after Winchester ;) Don't attack from below so they don't drop on you.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria