Has anyone tried the 10900k yet?

Why would you compare them at 4ghz anyways? Buying 10900k and not overclocking it 5.1ghz all core is just plain stupid.

Because you would need a 3-cubic-mile iceberg to keep it cool at 5.1GHz ;)

You wont reliably get that CPU to 5.1GHz all core OC iirc from reading and watching reviews.

Which, for DCS, would be of no use anyway. Rather oc individual cores, attach DCS to those, and call it a false investment still.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some poor information / opinion / analysis / interpretation in this thread in various places.

First thing, you have a current top GPU which is being held back by your CPU and memory. I totally understand you wanting to upgrade now. Before you do anything just realise the following:

1) Towards the end of the year Nvidia will release the successor to Turing which is rumoured to be c.40% faster!!!

2) AMD will release Zen 3 CPUs which are rumoured to be c.15% faster that Zen 2 on single threaded performance! So they could really bridge the gap with what intel has been achieving on 14nm, while still reaping the benefits of 7nm.

3) Intel's Z490 platform is likely to be "current" in 2020, 2021 and be replaced by LGA 1700 in 2022: this will bring 10nm lithography to CPUs, PCIe4, probably DDR5 and possibly USB4. Of course a Comet Lake CPU will still work in 2022, but you might well find yourself wanting to upgrade again.

Of course in the tech world there is always something new, "better" every year so you would never do anything if you kept waiting and waiting and waiting. The real question should be does you current set up meet your expectations or is it holding you back. It sounds like you are frustrated and it is holding you back. Okay, so I get why you are looking to upgrade.

In a nutshell the new Comet Lake CPUs are very good for DCS. I have not seen benchmarks yet, nor do I have one. But what I can say is:

1) i5-10600K, i7-10700K and i9-10900K processors all get the 0.5mm silicon substrate (down from 0.8mm) which helps cooling. And they use solder to attach the IHS. So compared to Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake they are easier to cool on a same number of cores, same clock speed basis. If left at default settings the CPUs will turbo effectively and remain at 125W power draw which is easily coolable with a quality air cooler like a Noctua NH-D15 or BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 and sufficient case ventilation. Sure you can draw as much as 300W on a 10 core clocked at 5.2GHz all core and that will be much harder to cool but you don't need 5.2GHz on 10 cores to shift your bottleneck significantly in DCS.

2) Probably what you should aim for is 1 or 2 cores boosted to 5GHz or beyond. And the great news is that you can do that with the relatively inexpensive i5 and a good quality motherboard like the Z490I Unity which is available at only c.$270 and an aircooler.

3) If you do go for the i7 or i9, they are costing significantly more and DCS will not use the extra cores (which also generate heat you need to get rid of). However, next generation consoles will have 8 core / 16 thread CPUs, so more games will be written with that CPU capacity in mind. So getting an i7 future proofs you a bit more. If you are just optimising for DCS however then other games are not a concern. But I just mention it.

4) Also if you go i7, it is better binned than the i5. And the i9 is better binned than the i7.

5) And finally i7 and i9 get you the new turbo boost thing... whatever it is called. Meaning you can be lazy and let the CPU overclock itself pretty effectively. But less a concern if you were going to do an manual overlock and power consumption be damned. (Like I would).

Conclusion: new Comet Lake CPUs are great for DCS, they are available right now (no waiting for never never), the i5 is great value for DCS. But AMD will likely come up with something equally good for games AND better at other stuff later in the year. And Intel themselves will come up with a bigger technology leap in 2 years. And the GPU market is about to light up again.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is some poor information / opinion / analysis / interpretation in this thread in various places.

First thing, you have a current top GPU which is being held back by your CPU and memory. I totally understand you wanting to upgrade now. Before you do anything just realise the following:

1) Towards the end of the year Nvidia will release the successor to Turing which is rumoured to be c.40% faster!!!

2) AMD will release Zen 3 CPUs which are rumoured to be c.15% faster that Zen 2 on single threaded performance! So they could really bridge the gap with what intel has been achieving on 14nm, while still reaping the benefits of 7nm.

3) Intel's Z490 platform is likely to be "current" in 2020, 2021 and be replaced by LGA 1700 in 2022: this will bring 10nm lithography to CPUs, PCIe4, probably DDR5 and possibly USB4. Of course a Comet Lake CPU will still work in 2022, but you might well find yourself wanting to upgrade again.

Of course in the tech world there is always something new, "better" every year so you would never do anything if you kept waiting and waiting and waiting. The real question should be does you current set up meet your expectations or is it holding you back. It sounds like you are frustrated and it is holding you back. Okay, so I get why you are looking to upgrade.

In a nutshell the new Comet Lake CPUs are very good for DCS. I have not seen benchmarks yet, nor do I have one. But what I can say is:

1) i5-10600K, i7-10700K and i9-10900K processors all get the 0.5mm silicon substrate (down from 0.8mm) which helps cooling. And they use solder to attach the IHS. So compared to Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake they are easier to cool on a same number of cores, same clock speed basis. If left at default settings the CPUs will turbo effectively and remain at 125W power draw which is easily coolable with a quality air cooler like a Noctua NH-D15 or BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 and sufficient case ventilation. Sure you can draw as much as 300W on a 10 core clocked at 5.2GHz all core and that will be much harder to cool but you don't need 5.2GHz on 10 cores to shift your bottleneck significantly in DCS.

2) Probably what you should aim for is 1 or 2 cores boosted to 5GHz or beyond. And the great news is that you can do that with the relatively inexpensive i5 and a good quality motherboard like the Z490I Unity which is available at only c.$270 and an aircooler.

3) If you do go for the i7 or i9, they are costing significantly more and DCS will not use the extra cores (which also generate heat you need to get rid of). However, next generation consoles will have 8 core / 16 thread CPUs, so more games will be written with that CPU capacity in mind. So getting an i7 future proofs you a bit more. If you are just optimising for DCS however then other games are not a concern. But I just mention it.

4) Also if you go i7, it is better binned than the i5. And the i9 is better binned than the i7.

5) And finally i7 and i9 get you the new turbo boost thing... whatever it is called. Meaning you can be lazy and let the CPU overclock itself pretty effectively. But less a concern if you were going to do an manual overlock and power consumption be damned. (Like I would).

Conclusion: new Comet Lake CPUs are great for DCS, they are available right now (no waiting for never never), the i5 is great value for DCS. But AMD will likely come up with something equally good for games AND better at other stuff later in the year. And Intel themselves will come up with a bigger technology leap in 2 years. And the GPU market is about to light up again.

Haha, I started writing basically this but have been busy so didn't get very far, this is exactly right and thank you for saving me the time to write it!!

SO MUCH misunderstanding going round about these chips at the moment and a lot of people talking nonsense across the internet, including some 1million+ sub tech reviewers which is scary.

Ultimately, I've enjoyed the conversation so far and appreciate the input but as expected I suppose, there is some talk about value etc. Of course this can be quantified objectively $ per frame for example but people forget that it is also very important to value things subjectively or for things to have an intrinsic value.

My question wasn't "should I get one" I'm getting one as the cost is not a deciding factor, I was just curious as to people's first hand experience with the chip. I know it is very early days though.

Essentially, for us that build a PC to play DCS, one or two STRONG cores is what we need, not 10s of weaker cores. Arguments such as AMD having a better IPC are all well and good on the surface but to use a car analogy again, your car may well have 400bhp at 6500rpm and at the rev limiter and mine only 350bhp at 6500rpm but my car might rev to 8500rpm and hit 600bhp :lol: It's a short sighted comparison.

My 2080ti and 4790k will play pretty much any game at 4k 60hz which is the limit of both my TV and my projector so I know in some cases it's fine but I want shadows on in DCS VR!! And I'm willing to pay for it haha.

The only reason I am considering a 10900k over anything else is exactly as milou says, the I9 is higher binned silicon and also has velocity boost and the 5 and 7 don't, that one feature alone may be worth nothing in Tomb Raider but I am betting it will be great to get the extra 200+MHz in DCS.

When calculated as a relative cost against the entire build of a high end PC, it's only £100 more for a higher binned chip, more features, more cores (if you care about that for other stuff) Water cooling fittings cost more than that so it is a worthy upgrade I think.

I don't agree fully though about waiting as I have waited long enough and nearly bought a 9900k last year. If 11th gen works at full potential on z490 then I will sell the I9 on a £1 fees weekend on eBay! And the 3080ti is already in my 'virtual basket' so that is covered :) Zen 3 may be awesome ( I hope it is as I have AMD shares haha) but 15% uplift in single threaded performance isn't going to be far off the 10900k in single threaded if the benchmarks scale nicely. And will that socket allow for further releases like the LGA 1200 is meant to?

Genuine RAF Merlin Collective DIY project

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

I don't agree fully though about waiting as I have waited long enough and nearly bought a 9900k last year.

I wasn't suggesting that you wait. If I was in your position, personally, I would upgrade now. And AMD rumours don't always translate fully into reality. Smart cookie getting AMD shares. No wonder you can afford an i9 and an RTX 3080 Ti! :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In this video the i5-10600k is clocked into same performance and even over i9. There are also older models on the same charts to compare. Btw don't confuse the i9 -X model to the new one. But if buying CPU now at least I would like it to have more cores for longevity. If only using computer for DCS this i5 with high speeds would be a good buy. My old i7 doesn't go high at all, and even if it did on that test the 5.1 Ghz i7 is often even behind i5 9600k stock.

Yes the I5 is the logical and obvious choice on intel side.

I have been watching the reviews and my goodness they are misleading. You have to look in to the devil in the details such as:

1-power consumption and temperatures to reach 5Ghz is not really feasible for the i9 24/7 without monster cooling apparatus that most people never consider buying.

2- I9 tested on 360 AIO, while older CPU's are air cooled, yeah right.

3-Why are people using old games such as far cry 3 and GTA I don't know. Once you reach a certain FPS threshold (far higher than what your monitor refresh rate is capable of or than you need) you'll see stuttering settling in due to poor game optimization.

4-Also anything with modern API sees Intel's advantage evaporate away. But this is rarely ever shown.

5-They show new CPU's overclocked VS older on Stock.

6-AMD side for example they often even don't show up configured with the recommended memory & infinity speeds (3600/1800) that the chips are capable of out of the box. Thats 5-20% of performance chopped off right there.

7- while they are at it, the memory speeds in comparisons are different. Even the 7700K can run 3600 Mhz RAM, so all CPU's should be tested without memory bottlenecks.

8- Most reviewers fail to choose benchmarks with complex scenes with many units on screen like a battle for example and opt instead to go 1080P standard single person shooters built in benchmarks when they are more adequate for graphics cards.

Edited by Pilotasso

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

i5-9600k vs i5-10600k (both OC to ~5.1 GHz) on a machine that only runs DCS and nothing else?

Easy way to save some bucks avoiding 'the new shiny' and effectively getting the same results at the "seat of the pants" in DCS?

There was a good comparison among new and last gen Intel (and AMD) on Hardware Canucks on Youtube. Worth watching.

Reviewer is pissed with Intel's lameness with this generation of CPUs so ignore his editorialisation comments and pay attention to the numbers.

HTH

Because the Die Hard Intel Faithful do not like it when AMD shows them up.

Shoulda read reviews during the K6-II/III Era.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

i5-9600k vs i5-10600k (both OC to ~5.1 GHz) on a machine that only runs DCS and nothing else?

Easy way to save some bucks avoiding 'the new shiny' and effectively getting the same results at the "seat of the pants" in DCS?

Comet Lake CPUs are priced below their predecessors on a comparable SKU basis (ie top 6 core, vs top 6 core). They cool better and have multithreading. The only reason to buy a previous generation CPU is if you already own a Z290, Z390 or whatever motherboard and want to upgrade CPU without a new motherboard. Or unless the previous generation CPUs get very heavily discounted or used bargain on eBay. The OP starting this thread was on a much older system requiring a new motherboard so would be an idiot not to get on Z490 if sticking with Intel and in the absence of discounts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-05/spieleleistung-test-intel-core-i9-9900k-amd-ryzen-9-3900x-ram-oc/2/#diagramm-metro-exodus

That´s all about AMD vs Intel in Gaming with OC.

To have a idea of performance in DCS, everybody can look at the results of anno 1800. This is single core performance and in this case, the 9900ks is 40% ahead.

A 10900k can go higher, than the 9900ks. May be 5,3 or 5,4GHz vs 5.0Ghz. That´s realy extreme power for gaming.

I5 13400F, 32GB DDR5 6200 CL30, RTX4070ti Super

2x 1tb m.2 (PCIe4.0)

If you have a slow CPU, not much. If you have an overclocked i9-10900K, or similarly fast CPU then yes.

Also on AMD platforms RAM speed has a significant difference but you will want to match RAM speed to the infinity fabric clock speed (sensible limit for current AMD platforms is at 3733 CL17).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The 3200CL14 kit I have is nice, but memory prices and availability of fast memory means if I was choosing now I'd get 32GB kit rated at 3600 16-16-16-36. B-die kit almost certainly. And fast without spending silly money on diminishing returns. 32GB as 16GB you might sometimes hit a bottleneck in DCS. But no more. Or maybe 3866 18-18-18-38 depending on price and availability.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I might be wrong about this, but raw single tick memory performance is important too: for sequential memory fetches where you are not activating new columns of the memory. And also the 3866 18-18-18-38 has faster tRAS than the 3200 kit (19.6ms vs 21.2ms).

But big picture, this is all swings and roundabouts: main point is not to buy just on basis of speed, but also on latency and price.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-05/spieleleistung-test-intel-core-i9-9900k-amd-ryzen-9-3900x-ram-oc/2/#diagramm-metro-exodus

That´s all about AMD vs Intel in Gaming with OC.

To have a idea of performance in DCS, everybody can look at the results of anno 1800. This is single core performance and in this case, the 9900ks is 40% ahead.

A 10900k can go higher, than the 9900ks. May be 5,3 or 5,4GHz vs 5.0Ghz. That´s realy extreme power for gaming.

ok if you are playing at 4k, does your CPU matter that much? it means nothing to me however faster it is. the next gen GPUs are what we are waiting for

If you want to reach the supposed 40% intel overclocking advantage you need 4133 memory.

Than you have perhaps a 40% advantage at 720P ;-)

Ok, I'll bite. :)

What would you propose for an oveclocked AMD build to go head to head with the 10600/10900?

ok if you are playing at 4k, does your CPU matter that much? it means nothing to me however faster it is. the next gen GPUs are what we are waiting for

That doesn't make sense in DCS, a fly exclusively in VR, all setting maxed out and 1.4 PD on a HP reverb. My 2080ti runs at around 60% utilisation, zero FPS increase if I heavily overclock it.

Genuine RAF Merlin Collective DIY project

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2