Tigershark

Everyone has eard about the F5 Tiger II....i would like to know if anyone has eard about the F20 TigerShark?....and if it his a viable project for DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

Definitely one of those great "what if" planes! Maybe in a few years when the devs run out of popular planes to develop. We will start seeing stuff like this appear in DCS.

Lots of folks will howl about how "unrealistic" it would be to have jets like this in the game though. Realism is a matter for server masters to take into account not sim developers in my opinion. Lots of planes to come ahead of her though and still lots of room for her also, here's hoping for a maybe from someone in the future!

F-20 Tiger Shark Promo video!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

I always was a fan of the concept of the F-20 and it has a cool look too it. I use to play a an old table top wargame called Air Superiority/Air Strike by GDW back in the 80s that had the F-20 in it as a what if, of course it had the F-19 too :D.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

never went past prototype, doubtful.

it did go past Prototype.

It was a fully developed aircraft it just never got purchased by anyone.

But still i dont think a full module is likely since there is probably not enough data on it.

And i see no point/reason for adding aircraft that were never adopted / Used when we have so many aircraft that we dont have in the game that are much more important/significant

(even though i really like the F-20 and im sad nobody adopted it as i think it was a great aircraft i dont think they should add it to DCS any time soon).

Would be much better to add any number of aircraft that have seen service.

Either common mainstream aircraft Like F-16 or Mig-23 or something more obscure like a Mitsubishi F-1 or AIDC F-CK-1.

Or maby one of the many chinese designs since there is currently nothing chinese in DCS and they represent one of the big aircraft building nations,

maby something like a J-8 or Q-5? or one of the later J-7 variants (that are different enough from the Mig-21 not to conflict with the existing mig-21Bis module)

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 1

And i see no point/reason for adding aircraft that were never adopted / Used when we have so many aircraft that we dont have in the game that are much more important/significant

(even though i really like the F-20 and im sad nobody adopted it as i think it was a great aircraft i dont think they should add it to DCS any time soon).

Totally agree!!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I said that wrong, I didn't mean to say it was not a fully developed fighter, I just meant it never was used by anyone and only like 3 were built (is that right?), but yes I agree there is no point in making it here, I purchased the F-5 and will be happy with it I'm sure when it is released.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think it matter if they make an F-20 or not. But I don't think it matters if it was active or not or if it was a "prototype". AFAIK, SU-25T never enter productions and the KA-50 was very limited production and service time and I enjoy both of those. Maybe the F-20 would be fun.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Realism is a matter for server masters to take into account not sim developers in my opinion.

Perhaps we need to review the concept of a "simulator".

Is anyone else interested in a "sim" where the developers don't take realism into account?

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Perhaps we need to review the concept of a "simulator".

Is anyone else interested in a "sim" where the developers don't take realism into account?

In this case I was referring realism as, folks only wish to have historical adversaries flying against one another. Mig-21s vs. F-4s and F-5s, etc..... Should only aircraft that have enjoyed large production runs and decades of service be allowed in DCS?

Wishing for an F-20 in the sim isn't "realistic" in many minds and therefore should not be allowed. If a developer is able to provide a well modeled Tigershark, with an accurate flight and systems model mind you, then why not have it in the sim.

Also, I did stipulate that the Shark should be done much further down the road after the supply of, insert your favorite aircraft here, have been completed.

I would prefer as much realism as we squeeze into the modules. I love DCS because it is a "hardcore sim". But I think it would be a disservice to this platform not to have a few well built "what if" aircraft in DCS.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

F-20 was comparable to an F-16 was it not?

I think so, although the F-20 was smaller. Another thing is that AFAIK, the aircraft use many similar systems as the F/A-18. Same engine, many cockpit avionics ( at least as seen in videos online) For example the displays and it's symbology seem similar (like the x over the gun if master arm is off).

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 3 weeks later...

I would prefer as much realism as we squeeze into the modules. I love DCS because it is a "hardcore sim". But I think it would be a disservice to this platform not to have a few well built "what if" aircraft in DCS.

You mean like the Black Shark?

The KA-50 we got in game is definately some pre-production prototype model used very, very early. Since there aren´t alot of KA-50ies, it is almost as much a "what if" aircraft as a possible F-20.

I wouldn´t mind an F-20 existing, I wouldn´t stress it tho. I´m waiting for LN to finish their projects so they can start a MiG-23 XD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
F-20 was comparable to an F-16 was it not?

F-16s is the reason why there are no F-20s. Let me explain. You must understand F-5 was developped mainly as small and cheap export aircraft. When you try make cheap plane you include only core and most important/efficient/used systems. One of systems excluded for F-5s was BVR radar guided missiles as they were very inefficient back then (hit ratio ~10%). As time passed by BVR radar guided missile hit ratio raised to over 50% and this system became important for air to air combat. It was when F-5 become obsolete. F-20 was designed to change it (capable of releasing AIM-7 missiles) but had hard competition: new F-16 (project F-20 started in 1975, first F-16 flight was in 1974). Potential customers for fighters with BVR capabilities decided F-16 is overall better aircraft than F-20 in comparison value/money/future support/development, thus they bought F-16s. After 6 years of searching for customer Northop canceled the F-20 project. Although F-20 was actually completed and ready to production it found no buyer ever. Sad story for interesting aircraft. I'd like to fly it in DCS.

Edited by Andrew-76

it did go past Prototype.

It was a fully developed aircraft it just never got purchased by anyone.

But still i dont think a full module is likely since there is probably not enough data on it.

Would be much better to add any number of aircraft that have seen service.

Either common mainstream aircraft Like F-16 or Mig-23 or something more obscure like a Mitsubishi F-1 or AIDC F-CK-1.

Or maby one of the many chinese designs since there is currently nothing chinese in DCS and they represent one of the big aircraft building nations,

maby something like a J-8 or Q-5? or one of the later J-7 variants (that are different enough from the Mig-21 not to conflict with the existing mig-21Bis module)

F-16 or the F-20 would be nice, but man, we really need more OpFor aircraft like you said. We're getting drowned in western planes. And while that's good in a way for the "flying around just for flying around's sake", we really need some stuff to fight. At this point really even just a properly done Su-27, Su-33 (any variant of the Flanker) or Mig-29 variant would do. A good base is already there for those. But things like the Mig-23 or Su-17, anything entirely new would also be welcome. It's getting to a point where it's sadly a pretty cringy feeling when a new western aircraft is announced for DCS.

I'd like to fly against these awesome planes in something just as awesome and high fidelity from time to time. Most of the modules go for 50-60 bucks right? I'd gladly drop $120 for a proper OpFor module right now. Doesn't even really matter what it would be as long as it was done right. I buy all the modules that come out to support a sim I love and the development community. I'll buy whatever comes out as long as it's not trash. But that would really be nice.

Edited by OneBlueSky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well Polychop is thinking about making the Horton Ho IX and that aircraft never even left the blueprint stage.So anything is possible for DCS.I wouldn't mind buying a fully modeled Tigershark.You could make certain liveries of nations that bought the F-16 or flew the F-5 as potential customers for the F-20.

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone has eard about the F5 Tiger II....i would like to know if anyone has eard about the F20 TigerShark?....and if it his a viable project for DCS.

What about a F-5A/B/Talon...? :music_whistling:

" MrMACH...Flies a cargo plane full of rubber dogshit out of Hong kong..." :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This sim is for aircraft that made it to full production. There is a huge number of aircraft that did not. However, I would love to see the Goodyear blimp!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Well Polychop is thinking about making the Horton Ho IX and that aircraft never even left the blueprint stage.

What? The Horton IX flew, even outflying the ME262 in trials, then crashed and killed the testpilot Ziller during one flight. Several other models where supposed to be completed for more testing, but we know how the war went.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup: