The One and only F-104G Starfighter  

189 members have voted

1. 1. The One and only F-104G Starfighter

• Yes! I'd like to buy F-104G
    • Yes! but I'd like to have other version on F-104
    • Well... I won't buy but I'd like to see it in the air as an opponent
    • No, it's bad idea

Hallo

I'm not sure where shall i put these post... I want to ask if there is amount us a group of fans of these famous plane. Is there anyone else who hope to see someday a dogfight between MiG-19 and F-104? Maybe... Just maybe if we show ourselves and the number appears to be big enough, somebody will try to take an effort to put these plane into the game?

3392c50a-0001-0004-0000-000000707446_w1528_r1.5056179775280898_fpx37.19_fpy50.jpg

I do not own the foto.

So would you like to have a F104 in DCS ?

With my best regards

Kermit

• Like 1

So would you like to have a F104 in DCS ?

Yes, I'd love to be able to purchase one, but I realize that we are in the minority, as most DCS pilots only want to fly a computer with wings and 40 Km range missiles .. aircrafts like the F-104 are dismissed as "too analog".

When I visited Berlin it was a fulfilled drean to be able to visit the Luftwaffe Museum and see an F-104 for real (in South America it was never used):

3CPEWTD.jpg

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Nice stunt .. but I prefer this video, that shows the aircraft in higher detail and allows us to appreciate its real sound:

DeRRinBuMxY

:) Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I'm actually one of those who like flying computers, but the starfighter, amongst other more analog planes would be an instant buy.

The howl of the 104 is just so exciting, its a legend and has to be a part of dcs.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N975F mit Tapatalk

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin:

A flyable Starfighter in DCS ? Who want a plane with a turnradius bigger than New York ? Its just a very fast rocket with 2 sidewinders made to intercept bombers. It cant stand any fight against any other fighters. Over Vietnam the MiG never realy have to fight them, they just sat themself at there six and wait until they run out of fuel. The Starfighter nerver got a kill over Vietnam. Over germany the Starfighter made a secruity recorde, 269 crashes and 116 dead pilots. Who want a plane that is extremly hard to fly and can noting beside being fast ?

Edited by Mike_Romeo

My skins

... It cant stand any fight against any other fighters....

I don't fly DCS competitively, I like to learn the intricacies of different aircrafts and helos and how each of them flies. Thank god not everyone cares just about A-A kills, otherwise no one would fly helicopters, the viggen, the Mig-19, the C-101 or any warbird :)

• Like 2

A flyable Starfighter in DCS ? Who want a plane with a turnradius bigger than New York ? Its just a very fast rocket with 2 sidewinders made to intercept bombers. It cant stand any fight against any other fighters. Over Vietnam the MiG never realy have to fight them, they just sat themself at there six and wait until they run out of fuel. The Starfighter nerver got a kill over Vietnam. Over germany the Starfighter made a secruity recorde, 269 crashes and 116 dead pilots. Who want a plane that is extremly hard to fly and can noting beside being fast ?
People who like beeing challangend, who like going fast and people who like iconic aircrafts.

Besides - the interesting part is not what it was made for, but what it was used for.

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin:

Would be definitely nice to have, but I would prefer getting a Tornado and a Phantom first!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It would just end up like other iconic old aircrafts, collecting dust in the hangar.

Not in my hangar...

I would fly it more often that the Hornet for instance..

I do not fly againts kids in heat....

It's the plane that would have been tasked on stopping the Red Storm...

• Like 1

I'd buy and fly, if it was available. :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

May I remind people the reason the F-104 didn't get kills in Vietnam is because they were used as CAP aircraft to screen against fighters trying to engage Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star EWR aircraft over the sea and that the reason they didn't see much action was because the North saw the F-104 as a tough opponent against the Mig 21s and Mig 17s they had access too so they never bothered going out over the ocean to shoot them down.

As for it's terrible safety record two things came into play. 1 the Germans along with the Canadians were using the plane as a nap of the earth conventional and Nuclear strike aircraft rather then a high speed interceptor which it was designed for. Add on top of this that Lockheed basically gave the Luftwaffe no training when transitioning to the new plane from CL-13 Sabres and its no real surprise it has the safety record it does.

I mean many of the Canadian losses were bird strikes more then anything. They lost 40% of their fleet before they sold them but only 2 of these incidences were due to mechanical faliure.

Used in it's intended role the F-104 was a good aircraft.

To be honest, I'd pretty much only buy it for its sound. But I would buy it!

And it should by default scare/scatter enemy ground units as soon as they hear it :D

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Would be definitely nice to have, but I would prefer getting a Tornado and a Phantom first!

This.

And just before that, I would love to have some other early access aircraft eventually out of Early Access, since this nowadays drives me some kind of "super annoyed" by not seeing this. :D

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

ED already stated they won't be making a F10x.

There's always hope that, some 3'rd party developer will give it a go...

Thanks guys for replying. As for me I would love to fly these plane. Mostly because it's one of the most difficult to fly (I think). Another reason is... It's one of the coolest planes ever. Their pilots must have balls big like watermelons... Specially pilots of F-104C...

And to top all of these. The sound...:pilotfly:

Edited by 303_Kermit

There's always hope that, some 3'rd party developer will give it a go...

Thanks guys for replying. As for me I would love to fly these plane. Mostly because it's one of the most difficult to fly (I think). Another reason is... It's one of the coolest planes ever. Their pilots must have balls big like watermelons... Specially pilots of F-104C...

And to top all of these. The sound...:pilotfly:

I would lose my stuff completely if someone made an F104 module. Easily my favourite aircraft. Speaking of the sound, it was called "il lamento del contribuente" in Italian - roughly translating to "the taxpayer's wail" :megalol:

And yeah to whoever said it could only go up and shoot two Sidewinders at bombers...yeah no. Not even close. For one, it was the first true multi-role fighter in NATO, and the first to carry the avionics to accomplish that role (for example, the first to carry an INS and multi-mode radar, before the F4 got them for example).

It's safety record early on was indeed awful initially, in Germany, but a lot of that had to do with how the crews trained for its employment and maintenance. Eventually when those were solved, it was no big deal - over its lifetime its accident rate is comparable to the Harrier for example.

I could go on but yeah, imo the main reason the 104 is so maligned compared to other jets of the same era, which had similar defects, is simply that it didn't get a shiny war in which it was the main player. Instead, what it got were scandals that applied less to the jet itself and more to Lockheed as a whole.

For those that love the F104 here is an alternative to hold you off in the mean time. This is the smaller 70mm EDF model but there is also a larger 90mm model that is more detailed. But if you have no RC flight experience I recommend starting off with a trainer first before you even try flying this one.

I'm actually one of those who like flying computers, but the starfighter, amongst other more analog planes would be an instant buy.

The howl of the 104 is just so exciting, its a legend and has to be a part of dcs.

For those that mostly like flying computers here is an interesting perspective from one of Israel's top Aces, Giora Epstein comparing the differences between the older analog Mirage III and the modern fly by wire F-16 @42.09 min towards the end.

Edited by Evoman