Should I get Dora because of Rockets?

wizav

Which rockets do you mean? The R4M or the Werfergranate 21?

Both can kill soft targets like jeeps, trucks and stuff like that. However aiming the Werfergranate is really hard so you have better chances to score a hit with the R4M. Keep in mind that both are unguided A-A rockets built to destroy bombers and split up their formation. Historically they were fired into a large formation of bombers to increase the chances of a hit.

In my opinion the Dora is a pretty good plane to fight the P51 and Spitfire. Remember that speed is life in the D-9. The speed advantage over a Spitfire is high. The P51 can almost fly as fast as you can but it wont keep up long, because is can’t run on max power for too long. (i have heard that the cooling of the D-9 is broken right now so that advantage is gone) A turning fight is not the thing i would recommend. If you have altitude and speed you should usually be fine.

Ka 50 - MIG 21 - FW 190 D9 - SU 27 - F15 - F 16

• 1 month later...
Haven't read any manual or anything yet, I am curious, can those rockets kill Tigers and Tiger IIs

You should not be targeting Tigers and Tiger IIs if you are in a Dora! ;)

That said, yes, they can. But...

There are two types of rockets, the R4M (26 carried, fired in pairs, thus 13 salvos of 2) and the BR21 (also known as the WfrGr.21; two carried, fired individually).

At the moment, DCS has a simplified damage model for ground units. Regardless of which side you hit (front, back, sides), a single R4M will do about 11% damage to a Tiger I and 6% damage to a Tiger II. I have been running test missions again this morning and can confirm this is still the case as of 14-Jun-2020 (DCS OpenBeta 2.5.6.50793) There is a fair amount of "drop" in the rocket, so you need to aim long to hit. As a result, they are inaccurate and not particularly effective.

The BR21 rockets are single-hit kills against either Tiger. Any side. Every time.

Note that, again because of the simplified damage model), a near miss against a tank does absolutely nothing. You cannot blow of tracks or jam the turret or anything like that. However, the BR21 is effective against soft targets, due to the heavy warhead and large blast area. The R4Ms can take out soft targets too, but are not particularly good due to a very small blast.

Another thing to note is that the Dora can use the "4xSC50 + rockets" combo, but it cannot use "SC500 + rockets". In the former case, the 4xSC50 must be used/jettisoned first. The Anton does not have any such limitation.

I use both the Dora and Anton a lot, in both single and multiplayer, but only ever in the ground attack role. (So I have no comment on attacking fighters/bombers.) Against ground targets, I find the R4M is difficult to aim, because of guessing the drop of the rocket during its trajectory. The BR21s are easy to aim. Make sure you avoid any side slip to stop them skewing left/right and missing.

Also of interest might be the Storm of War server, which tracks weapon effectiveness each month (REF). From that, we see the BR21 being moderately effective. The R4M very much less so.

One last point, just bear in mind that the Dora is faster, but more fragile than the Anton. My personal preference (at least until the F-8 variant comes out!) is the Anton with BR21. Even though the Anton is slower than the Dora, it can take more punishment, has more 20mm rounds, and is easier to handle.

• 1 year later...

I realise this is an older thread but I'm yet to find an answer to my question and this seems the most relevant thread.

Have the R4M rockets with the shaped charge warhead for ground attack been made available for the D9? I believe these were designated the R4HL. It could be the case that these were never mounted to the D9, however, I wanted to check ahead of making any purchase.

Apparently not.

Screen_220124_102743.png

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Thanks 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

11 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

Apparently not.

Hi LeCuvier,

Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated. It's a shame but it at least helps confirm my decision.

In the long term I'll keep hoping for a Stukka, BF-110 or Hs-129 but that's a different topic entirely.

• Like 1