Touch and go

grafspee

Touch and go in Dora, anyone have any idea how to do it ??

Im trying but every time Dora bounce off runway, any secret way to do it ??

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

During a touch and go you land as usual, don't understand why this should cause a bounce? No secrets.

Yeah, problem is in 2 point touch on my side.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

If you do a wheel landing, (touching down on the maingear only in a flat attitude) many aircraft tend to skip back into the air, even if the touchdown isn't perfectly smooth.

In this case there is actually a secret. At touchdown you have to immediately apply a bit of forward stick to avoid the pitch up and hence bounce.

Some aircraft, e.g. the DC-3, usually only perform wheel landings.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Just as in the Mustang, float over the runway and hold the nose high attitude just the same, and as airspeed drops, gently pull back the stick to mush out or round out the flare to a 3-point landing....when the wheels touch and you have bleeded off all your energy, hold the stick all the way back.

High airspeed/ground speed, you will float a long time and if you try to plant it early, BOUNCE! Too Low airspeed and you fall out of the sky early and BOUNCE...find your comfortable airspeed and for me as a pilot, airspeed is the most important gauge when landing an aircraft...hope this helps.

Watch this video and forward up to 1:05 on the timeline.

Cheers!

Edited by =JUICE=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As the others have said you're too fast. Try for around IAS 200 at the threshold, with 1500 RPM.

Staighten out keep the RPM on and pull the stick back gradually to increase AOA as speed decreases, you can do this smoothly or a in series of "mini flares"

Close to the deck reduce the RPM to idle and pull back harder on the stick.

Keeping the RPM on helps to reduce the sink rate and speed decay. If you land on a dead throttle you need to flare close to the ground and be very precise, otherwise you'll bounce or stall.

You can't be too fast. The only things that make you bounce are a too high sinkrate and/or pitch up at touchdown.

If you apply forward stick when doing a wheel landing and the sinkrate it very low, you will not bounce, regardless of the speed.

Edited by bbrz

You can't be too fast. The only things that make you bounce are a too high sinkrate and/or pitch up at touchdown.

If you apply forward stick when doing a wheel landing and the sinkrate it very low, you will not bounce, regardless of the speed.

bbrz

I'm interested in that method can you post a clip.

Whenever I try a level approach, I find I need to have a high IAS as at lower speeds my AOA is too high & of course I bounce. I'd like to see a different method.

Oh, could you also include the controls indicator and tell me you're trim setting

Don't have DCS installed since a few weeks. Presently I can't stand the ever increasing number of unfinished/broken aircraft.

Regardless how fast you are or how flat the approach is, the key is to push the stick forward exactly at or even a fraction before the touchdown so that when the inevitable rebound occurs, the mainwheels are staying on (or at least very close to the) runway and the attitude/AoA doesn't increase.

One could try to search the oldest parts of this section of the forum for DavidRed's videos of him doing all sorts of powered and dead stick landing stunts in the Dora, three-point, two-point, even one-point, you name it.

Was trying to find his stuff on youtube directly, but I don't know what his account name is over there.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I would like to see what the textbook says about the right technique!

Just tried and recorded the attached track. It's my second try though. The first one was no disaster but looked more like a "hop-and-go".

Before trying, I was worried about:

1. Trim. Normally I land with maximum nose-up trim. I was afraid that that would turn the "go" into a stall. So I landed with neutral trim.

2. Flaps. I always land with flull flaps down. That provides a lot of lift and might cause a stall after the go. But landing with flaps only half out seemed the worse alternative. So I landed with flaps full out.

So I went down and touched and pulled up again with throttle wide open. I pulled a bit much so it looked like I might stall but I got her under control. Was not nice though. I should have pulled less. Not sure if this qualifies for a touch and go, but I tried. If at all, it was 2 2-wheel touch-and-go. Does it have to be 3-wheel?

FW-190D9 Touch_N_Go.trk

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5