Questions re Multiplayer from a Newb.

redboot

I've been playing DCS solo for about 2 months now and have about 75 hours into it. Most with the FA-18, some with the P-51. I'd like to try multiplayer but I'm mildly intimidated by it. So, to alleviate that, I have some questions:

1. When you get on the server for the first time, do you just do your own thing and ease in to group activities over time, or immediately engage with a group?

2. How do you Voice Communicate with others on the server? What's SRS? Is it necessary?

3. Are people who are already on the server already doing something together as a group? Will I be intruding if I join the server?

4. Is my low skill level an issue? Will I be "in the way"?

5. What's the difference between a normal and an open beta server? How do I know which is which? Do I care?

1. you can do your own thing

2. Not necessary, but helpful. Some servers will have human gci occasionally and you won't hear them without SRS. SRS is a little application that allows for voice communicaiton using the in-game radios.

3. If they don't want you there they'll have the server password protected.

4. Not a problem. Just please don't crash into people on the taxiway and you'll be golden.

5. It's just which version of DCS they're running, stable or open beta. I think a majority of servers run open beta.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Pretty much what @gavagai said... I'd add only a couple of things.

2. SRS is common, immersive and highly recommended... even if you only just "listen in" at first. Some servers also use Discord, which can be great for pre-/post-mission chit-chat. Check the mission briefing/server-information to see what a server uses.

4. Take a look at the map and the spawn points. Starting from a less-used airfield might help you get started in a more relaxed way. Especially if you are worried about your procedures or you are new and are finding your feet.

I am new to it myself. Total game changer. I highly recommend SRS, I had a few small issues at first, but that was just my old brain struggling. The SRS and flying with real people has got me addicted. The only single player stuff I have done is for checking the new patch. (Instant Action for the Viggen off a road in Syria) Only issue I have had in multi is shooting down a friendly. Have not had any backlash from it, don't even remember the server. Most of my time has been in helis on ROTORHEADS and Aerobatics Syria. Have fun

I've been playing DCS solo for about 2 months now and have about 75 hours into it. Most with the FA-18, some with the P-51. I'd like to try multiplayer but I'm mildly intimidated by it. So, to alleviate that, I have some questions:

1. When you get on the server for the first time, do you just do your own thing and ease in to group activities over time, or immediately engage with a group?

2. How do you Voice Communicate with others on the server? What's SRS? Is it necessary?

3. Are people who are already on the server already doing something together as a group? Will I be intruding if I join the server?

4. Is my low skill level an issue? Will I be "in the way"?

5. What's the difference between a normal and an open beta server? How do I know which is which? Do I care?

Come fly on the 475th Fighter Group server. Join the Discord. SRS is running on the server with SRS voice GCI for Allies. VR friendlies labels are enabled.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg