DCS World Criticism

LaLa

Reading reviews and forums across the web regarding DSC there are criticisms of many aspects of the products. If you consider how many competitors ED has in this niche by my count it is none! Why is that?

I appreciate the size and complexity of this undertaking, and while I dont always agree with how they handle bugs and complaints, they remain head and shoulders above others in this gendre. What others!?

I certainly look forward to the continued development of this product.

This kind of work is a labor of love, and deserves user support, but with that said, its not without issues, but no product is.

Devs are animals that thrive in a new development environment, support is boring, I feel that having a small team, support is the phase of a product that is commonly neglected or minimized, but is critical for widespread acceptance of a product. Sure hardcore enthusiasts will battle through and lighten the way for others.

ED is battling with these two, mutually antagonistic phases of product development. Fortunately the community is assisting with their support issues as they should if they want the product to survive to everyones benefit.

If you consider how many competitors ED has in this niche by my count it is none!

There is at least one by my count ;)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

WWII only.

No, I'm talking about a jet one with an outstanding dynamic campaign that ED is now trying to tackle ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

No, I'm talking about a jet one with an outstanding dynamic campaign that ED is now trying to tackle ;)

Ahh yes, you mean the one without VR support.

Yeah.. not so much of a competitor imho :)

Anyways, maybe it's because English is not my native language, but what exactly is the OP criticizing? What should ED do differently in your opinion?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Ahh yes, you mean the one without VR support.

Yeah.. not so much of a competitor imho :)

Anyways, maybe it's because English is not my native language, but what exactly is the OP criticizing? What should ED do differently in your opinion?

I think he's criticizing the critics.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

There was a eeerie silence then from the heavens the clouds abruptly parted BOOOOM, bits and bytes went flying everywhere, like an EMP blast from GOD himself, "I HAVE SPOKEN"

When the electrons cleared a post had moved from the DCS World 2.5 subforum to the Stygian gloomy depths of the trivial chit chat page!

"Well done GOD"

Edited by LaLa

There was a eeerie silence then from the heavens BOOOOM, bits and bytes went flying everywhere, like an EMP blast from GOD himself, "I HAVE SPOKEN"

When the electrons cleared a post had moved from the DCS World 2.5 subforum to the Stygian gloomy depths of the trivial chit chat page!

"Well done GOD"

Lol

i9 10900X & 5700XT

VPC WarBRD, TM F18C, VPC Alpha, VPC T50CM2 Throttle, TM TFRP Pedals, Oculus Rift S

How critical is VR support - when as of April 2020 - stats show only 1.29% of PC Gamers (not PC owners) have a VR headset?

you realize that 1.29% of Gamers prolly covers 70-85% of flight simmers right?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There was a eeerie silence then from the heavens the clouds abruptly parted BOOOOM, bits and bytes went flying everywhere, like an EMP blast from GOD himself, "I HAVE SPOKEN"

"Well done GOD"

, but but ....this cant be! How could it be!?, there is no crater in the DCS World 2.5 subforum, a mere sign in the shape of the very hand of GOD, shining a light to the Chit Chat forum!

Hallelujah! My prayers have been answered!

Are you ok dude?
:music_whistling: I'm sweatin here gotta change my shirt, this forum is pretty intense, Huh!

Crack two Bruce!, Its hotter than a monkeys bum in here!

Edited by LaLa

Sorry, sorry I understand why you might be a we bit confused! What I meant to say was "Its hot enough to boil a monkeys bum in here!"

Now, that should clear up any misunderstandings of my intentions.

Reading reviews and forums......ithout issues, but no product is.

What are you trying to say with this post? I don't understand, is this some kind of propaganda in defense of a company?

This reminds me of a speech I made many years ago with a person regarding video games.

This person was trying to excuse the developers for the flaws in the game and was saying, "Do you want this thing to look better? the devs need more money, do you want that texture to be more defined? they needs more money"

So I replied: Then i buy the game at 70 bucks and it's "more" money...

Moral of the story:

I only think about my wallet (and you should too), this is business and i pretend to get what i paid for, no excuses.

Not exactly competition as you don't even have to pay for that one... and TBH, those that have been flying that one for 20+ years really must be bored of that certain airframe by now. But yet again, they keep on trolling on DCS content how much better their holy sim is. We're getting there. Slow and steady wins the race.

How critical is VR support - when as of April 2020 - stats show only 1.29% of PC Gamers (not PC owners) have a VR headset?

You should update your facts. That percentage literally skyrocketed from March/April on.

https://www.roadtovr.com/steam-survey-vr-headset-growth-april-2020-half-life-alyx/

And that is from May 2nd. Maybe someone should do some research on this just in the flight sim community. My wild guess is a quote of at least somewhere in the 10-20% range.

, but but ....this cant be! How could it be!?, there is no crater in the DCS World 2.5 subforum, a mere sign in the shape of the very hand of GOD, shining a light to the Chit Chat forum!

Hallelujah! My prayers have been answered!

There's one one place in DCS where you really should expect a massive crater. https://www.google.de/maps/@41.8398104,41.7988523,1820m/data=!3m1!1e3

I really wish ED adding a big one just there, at least 10 times as big as the Sedan one, just because literally everyone in DCS has thrown at least like half a million lb worth of bombs, rockets and missiles there in his sim life. Would make such a great aprils foal's... icon_redface.gif

BTW: Admiral Ackbar! rdlaugh.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

You should update your facts. That percentage literally skyrocketed from March/April on.

https://www.roadtovr.com/steam-survey-vr-headset-growth-april-2020-half-life-alyx/

And that is from May 2nd. Maybe someone should do some research on this just in the flight sim community. My wild guess is a quote of at least somewhere in the 10-20% range.

Indeed - how could i have been so shockingly inaccurate! As you have correctly pointed out between my quoted figures and the "post half-life Alyx" figures you've shared the % of gamers with VR headsets did indeed skyrocket to 1.91% (from my quoted 1.29%) !!!!

Why would you assume that Flight Sim players have VR headsets at a 10 times the rate of the average PC gamer? Or is it just confirmation bias...are we assuming that people like "us" active on the DCS forums ,rocking our home built gaming PCs...updated and overclocked...is in some way representative of a typical DCS purchaser

Airbag_signatur.png

you realize that 1.29% of Gamers prolly covers 70-85% of flight simmers right?

Do we have a citation (or even anecdotes) to support that?

i dont think theres a citation, and im not sure i agree with the 70-85% figure however, i do believe that adoption of VR is much more tightly clustered in two populations: flight simmers & racing gamers

this is based on three observations:

1) the vast majority of gaming is not well served by VR. racing& flight are though. When the player is seated it eliminates some of the shortcomings to VR, and those two genres benefit greatly from the immersion that VR provides

2) Racing and flight simmers tend often to be very dedicated to their niche, often seeing it as a hobby rather than a video game. Both often are willing to shell out $$$ for high dollar, very specialized peripherals and sometimes create elaborate setups to support their simulation. Additionally, they arent dependent on the VR hand controllers, another weak area for VR

3.) Gamers is a very broad term, and where do you cut it off? console gamers? mobile gamers? casual gamers? by gaming genre?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

The numbers of gamers who use TrackIR is even more minimal but clearly the numbers who expect TrackIR as a supported product in any serious type of flight sim is massively skewed for flight simmers. I would see VR as a similar option. Many flight simmers would view TrackIR or VR as must haves compared with other genre. Both simply work so well with it.

Personally I give all developers of hardcore flight and race sim titles a lot of slack. They have to do what they have to do to make their projects viable, driven from a desire to make sims rather than the result of market forces IMHO

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

What is a gamer? Anyone who has a game in their PC, tablet, or ohone?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria