Radar Warning Receiver

backspace340

I've read the manual but I'm a little confused about how the RWR is meant to work and what it's trying to show. Can anyone tell me:

1. What is the difference between critical and lethal from a practical perspective, what happens to move an emitter from one band to another?

2. How can I see (not hear!) that an emitter has locked me? What should I be looking for?

3. How can I see (not hear!) that an emitter has fired an SARH missile (or an ARH missile that's gone pitbull) at me?

It'd be really handy to know what I should be looking for on that display. Thanks!

so it's a bit more primitive in symbology to the one used on the a10?

it can differentiate aircraft type on the red ie 21 for mig21 or 29 for mig29.

will it not be able to differentiate aircraft model type?

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

so it's a bit more primitive in symbology to the one used on the a10?

No... i have no idea how you got that in your head. But the thing has far more symbols than the ALR-69. And sends the data to many more places than the ADU. ie if you start jamming an emitter you'll see the X enhancement symbol over the emitter icon.

it can differentiate aircraft type on the red ie 21 for mig21 or 29 for mig29.

will it not be able to differentiate aircraft model type?

I have no idea what you're asking. it identifies emitters same as A-10. And even has special icons to denote if its AAA or a tracking SAM, or a fighter radar.

Air intercept.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Does that mean we could be able to use HARMs against airborne radars at some point? :D

They actually can do that: http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/10314/the-time-a-f-4g-wild-weasels-anti-radiation-missile-blew-apart-a-b-52s-tail :D

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

No... i have no idea how you got that in your head. But the thing has far more symbols than the ALR-69. And sends the data to many more places than the ADU. ie if you start jamming an emitter you'll see the X enhancement symbol over the emitter icon.

I have no idea what you're asking. it identifies emitters same as A-10. And even has special icons to denote if its AAA or a tracking SAM, or a fighter radar.

that images you posted didnt include that so it gave an entirely different impression.....

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

So from I understand RWR is WIP and at this stage we can not tell who or what is currently locking or shooting at you?

You can, it just doesn't work like the RWRs you might be used to - if you're being locked/fired at, the contact will be in the outer (critical) band of the RWR. There is also some additional symbology on the traditional RWR (though personally I can't make that out in VR).

• 8 months later...

The RWR is weird compared to the other western ones. Threats only move inward when they lock you, and only move to the center when they fire. The other RWRs will move inward as you get closer to lethal range.

The filtering logic is borked as well, it's capable of showing enemy airborne threats with the chevron over them, but often I try to use the filter to show the "6 highest threats" and it will filter out all the enemy aircraft and leave all the friendlies on the display :doh:

I sure hope it's still WIP.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

From what I understand the Offset is still a bit wonky. When you press it, the button says enabled, it does separate the overlapped contacts, but then over time will revert back to normal. However, the button will still say enabled after it automatically reverts to normal mode and will stay that way. Also noticed sometimes it will hide some radar contacts using offset as well. That part doesn’t seem complete to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer