Top Gun 2019

M0ltar

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to raise the ping limit as then when do you draw the line? Do I just let people in that are close by 10, 20, 30? Where do you stop. Because of that I think it is necessary to establish a hard line and that line in a lot of servers is 250.

Im not implying you should, Im saying as a test no harm done.

EDIT: Cancelled

Event: 1v1

Squadron Name: RvE

Teamspeak/Discord: RvE Discord

Contact person: myself

Aircraft Selection: m2k or F/A-18 UFO

Pilot:

GER - =RvE=MicroVAX

Collections of questions regarding the rules will be posted later.

S!

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

1) The M2k doesn't have an option to load 60 flares, what will be its flare complement

2) Will premerge maneuvering compliance and 3/9 line passage be determined automated or by the referee ? //EDIT: has been answered, decision will be referee based

3) A purely time based fuel index has shown to be flawed in dissimilar combat in the past since it fixes one factor, being endurance, which is by design dissimilar, and thus scales all other performance factors around it, and thus limiting fighting options.

A ratio based index of for example endurance and thrust to weight ratio, which represents a general index of how aggressive or long term a fight can be fought, has shown to represent the dissimilarities of designs much more faithfully since both performance and endurance are available to all platforms at the same ratio, leaving only design choices of the platform in charge of what the pilot actually can do with that. //EDIT: data for feasibility analysis is being prepared

EDIT: 4) In case the F14 releases in time, what will be the rule on JESTER usage ?

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

regarding Microvax's post... no.3 ... I agree that time based fuel index limit is a flawed approach to making things more "fair" as it skews T/W relative performance. It is prone to end with one plane having UFO advantage in a duel.

I look forward to read Microvax's suggestion

Squadron Name: none

Teamspeak/Discord: TS3/none

Contact person: none

Aircraft Selection: F-15/(F-18 )

Pilots:

GER/USA Dr. Goose (based in GER)

edit: I'm sorry I'll have to withdraw, I just noticed a scheduling collision. I'm really sorry, but real life has priority. I wish you all good luck and may the best win.

Edited by Dr.Goose

1) The M2k doesn't have an option to load 60 flares, what will be its flare complement

2) Will premerge maneuvering compliance and 3/9 line passage be determined automated or by the referee ? //EDIT: has been answered, decision will be referee based

3) A purely time based fuel index has shown to be flawed in dissimilar combat in the past since it fixes one factor, being endurance, which is by design dissimilar, and thus scales all other performance factors around it, and thus limiting fighting options.

A ratio based index of for example endurance and thrust to weight ratio, which represents a general index of how aggressive or long term a fight can be fought, has shown to represent the dissimilarities of designs much more faithfully since both performance and endurance are available to all platforms at the same ratio, leaving only design choices of the platform in charge of what the pilot actually can do with that. //EDIT: data for feasibility analysis is being prepared

EDIT: 4) In case the F14 releases in time, what will be the rule on JESTER usage ?

Micro, I am always open to hear peoples opinions on how to make things better. As for question 4, The f14 will be required to fly with 2 players and Jester will be banned. Im not for the idea of allowing Jester. The only reason is that it opens up the possibility of people questioning if the AI is providing an unfair advantage and providing a possible handicap to pilots.

Thanks Moltar and Vatikus and Stuge for the open ears, on my proposal.

Plot twist comes now though, the index I proposed and used in the past doesn't work like I thought it did and in fact thus doesn't do what I intended it to do. That it did show improved results in terms of tighter groupings in more performance categories over purely time indexed fuel loads was basically luck. :D

I did try to come up with a few other performance indexes, to actually do what I wanted them to do but in the end I came to the conclusion that without spending much more time on building a more complex metric, or introducing other constraints to the rules, endurance is pretty much the best bet to have a fight between dissimilar platforms.

So my suggestion is actually to change nothing about the way the fuel loads are indexed. :D

So mark this one in your calendars. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

regarding Microvax's post... no.3 ... I agree that time based fuel index limit is a flawed approach to making things more "fair" as it skews T/W relative performance. It is prone to end with one plane having UFO advantage in a duel.

I look forward to read Microvax's suggestion

With the current settings, the "UFO advantage" lies with the F-18C, the rest of the aircraft are somewhat balanced. Nerfing the F18 somehow is an option to consider...

We've done combat testing with these fuel settings, and a testament to their validity is that we've had several dissimilar fights that end up with mutual flameout at pretty much the same time!

With the current settings, the "UFO advantage" lies with the F-18C, the rest of the aircraft are somewhat balanced. Nerfing the F18 somehow is an option to consider...

We've done combat testing with these fuel settings, and a testament to their validity is that we've had several dissimilar fights that end up with mutual flameout at pretty much the same time!

I fully understand that full fair fight cannot happen in DACT, which is simply put - fine & desired.

Fighting weight differences however can pose unrealistic advantage in some cases. Since time limited round is prolly not desired as is not too direct active judging, the proposed fuel variable is ok to go with by me and we can see how it will turn out for any tweaks regarding next event...

Speaking of F18... have you tested dual rack pylons and their impact on performance?

Signing up for SouthernJump3r on SouthernJump3r behalf since he doesnt have forums access.

Squadron Name: SouthernJump3r

Teamspeak/Discord: Discord SouthernJump3r

Contact person: Me

Aircraft Selection. F/A-18

Pilots:

USA - SouthernJump3r

I'm dropping out. The rules for the 1v1 and the "make suggestions if you think something's stupid, but we're not changing the rules so we don't want to hear them" paradox is mentally challenged.

Edited by Heavy-D69420

what's all this pissing and moaning about the F-18 UFO advantage?

Honestly who cares. With the way the Hornet radar fails to acquire bandits that are head to head at coaltitude I may never find you. There's strengths and weaknesses to every sim in the game whether they are realistic or not.

Edited by Heavy-D69420

I think it's bs that the AIM-9X is banned in 2v2. What are the Flankers and Fulcrums not going to use R-73s? I doubt it. Com'mon. Let's level the playing field here. That's a strength the Hornet has that makes it competitive with Russian jets and the aim-9x is banned for the arbitrary reason that russian jet guys think it's too good. If I had a huge advantage for years and something came along to challenge that I guess it's reasonable that I'd try to prevent its acceptance too.

you can't say that the AIM-9X ruins dogfights. With the R-73 off a cold merge without the element of surprise dogfights were already nonexistent. Just the Flankers and Fulcrums would win every time.

Did anyone see Ralfidude's video where a Hornet and Mig-29 tested both jet's HOBS capabilities? It was a 50-50 chance who would win each time. It's not like it's an unfair advantage that wasn't already in the game.

I may sound like I'm contradicting myself here with my previous post, but I'm not complaining about something another sim does that the sim I like to fly can't do. I'm complaining about not being able to use a capability the sim I like has because-for sharts and giggles-it was excluded for an arbitrary reason from the competition while at the same time other competitors get the same capability in Mig-29's and Flankers and it's viewed as 100% fine and dandy okay with everyone. Seems like an idiotic double standard to me.

Edited by Heavy-D69420

What exactly is the layout of the competition? Does everyone that's entered face everyone in the tournament and who ever has the best record at the end wins i.e. round robin? Is it brackets where you're eliminated if you lose once? Is it best of 3, best of 5 each round or what? The layout of the competition wasn't covered in the original post.

Edited by Heavy-D69420

what's all this pissing and moaning about the F-18 UFO advantage?

Honestly who cares. With the way the Hornet radar fails to acquire bandits that are head to head at coaltitude I may never find you. There's strengths and weaknesses to every sim in the game whether they are realistic?

I’m not changing anything currently with the Hornet. It’s going to stay as it is. I have not seen any proof yet that shows that the flight model is out of place as of yet. There is an issue with the G override, but I don’t think there is anything that can be done about that.

I think it's bs that the AIM-9X is banned in 2v2. What are the Flankers and Fulcrums not going to use R-73s? I doubt it. Com'mon. Let's level the playing field here. That's a strength the Hornet has that makes it competitive with Russian jets and the aim-9x is banned for the arbitrary reason that russian jet guys think it's too good. If I had a huge advantage for years and something came along to challenge that I guess it's reasonable that I'd try to prevent its acceptance too.

you can't say that the AIM-9X ruins dogfights. With the R-73 off a cold merge without the element of surprise dogfights were already nonexistent. Just the Flankers and Fulcrums would win every time.

Did anyone see Ralfidude's video where a Hornet and Mig-29 tested both jet's HOBS capabilities? It was a 50-50 chance who would win each time. It's not like it's an unfair advantage that wasn't already in the game.

We have done some testing with some of the best pilots in DCS and found that the aim9x makes a merge unwinable. On top of that the 73, though it is good, is not a 9x. The max off bore for the 73 is much lower than the 90 provided by the 9x. Couple that with the increased ccm resistance and it’s a landslide in the 9x favor which is the reason we deemed it not fit for combative play. The 73 is very easy to flare and has a smoked motor. These are both faults the 9x does not suffer from.

What exactly is the layout of the competition? Does everyone that's entered face everyone in the tournament i.e. round robin? Is it brackets where you're eliminated if you lose once? Is it best of 3, best of 5 each round or what? The layout of the competition wasn't covered in the original post.

Layout will be a traditional tournament bracket with random seeding. The bracket will be posted admirer signups close on the 31st. Matches will more than likely be best of 3 for the first rounds and best of 5 for later matches as the tournament progresses

Edited by M0ltar