Considering FC3

Hi

Although I am not a fan for FC3 aircrafts, during the sales I get the temptetion to buy it. Mostly because Mig29 tempts me.

But what are its capabilities? I rarely see it in multiplayer servers (it can't be that bad) and I can't understand why.

Also, I already own the SU27, is SU33 different with weapons/performance?

Thank you

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Hi, I own FC3, and I love it. I'd totally recommend getting it during a sale. The Su-33 is similar to the Su-27, but it has 2 more pylons, I think a touch more fuel, and, unfortunately, only half the chaff/flare load. It's heavier, and can't accelerate as fast, but it's still a good aircraft, and it's capable of in-flight refueling.

As for the MiG-29, the MiG-29S is the only version worth flying, but it's not bad. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of internal fuel (though it does have a bit more than the other variants), and just adding the centerline tank doesn't help that much, but it is also capable of in-flight refueling. Plus, it has internal ECM (the others don't have any at all; it's not super good, but better than nothing), and it's the only flyable Russian jet to use an ARH missile (the R-77, which really isn't AMRAAM-like that much, but it sure looks cool).

All in all, they're both good jets, you just have to know how to use them well. FC3 also includes the A-10A, F-15C, and Su-25, in case you ever wanted to give them a try, as well as the MiG-29A and MiG-29G. I'd really recommend it!

because Mig29 tempts me.

But what are its capabilities? I rarely see it in multiplayer servers (it can't be that bad) and I can't understand why.

The Mig-29 doesn't carry 10 missiles, and its FM feels wooden compared to the Su-27. Those are the reasons why you don't see it in multiplayer, I guess.

I own FC3, but rarely use it. If you like DCS modules you will get bored quickly, unless you want to spam a single target with 4 missiles multiplayer.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Thank you all. I think I'll just stick to the su27, and save the money for other DCS modules

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

mig29 doesn have a pfm (professional flight mode), therefore that's the reason not too many play with the migs, instead the su27,f15 and su33 all got PFM :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

But what are its capabilities? I rarely see it in multiplayer servers (it can't be that bad) and I can't understand why

One important thing is it's weaker radar and missing electronics. It can't detect enemies at the same range as Su-27 or F-15 and can't burn through enemy jamming like Su-27 or F-15 can. It doesn't have a display in the cockpit to show the radar picture, like Su-27 or F-15 has, contacts are only shown on the HUD and sometimes you miss them because they are obstructed by other HUD symbols, even though the radar has detected them.

Also, navigation/waypoint system is unfinished and next to useless. IMO, all the FC3 aircraft are worth and VERY fun to fly, except for the MiG-29 and the A-10A. If you're thinking of buying FC3 just because of these two, then don't. It's the best advice I can give you...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Primary because the MiG29S is a short range fighter with fewer missile, much fewer countermeasures ,poor radar & poor ECM compare with other heavy fighters.

The only "advance" point of MiG29S is that it can carry R77, but since the missile is very "SOFT", and the Su/MiG don't have a true TWS mode that not tigger the missile launch warning, the MiG29S won't buy much good in FC3 MP conditions.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

[...]the Su/MiG don't have a true TWS mode that not tigger the missile launch warning, the MiG29S won't buy much good in FC3 MP conditions.

I don't know about the lock/launch warnings but MiG has TWS2 and can engage more than one target at a time.

IMO, all the FC3 aircraft are worth and VERY fun to fly, except for the MiG-29 and the A-10A.

Why is that? I think both are much fun for that money. Yes, even with MiG's SFM. In fact you can have full quality A-10C but for much more. But what if you want A-10A?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I don't know about the lock/launch warnings but MiG has TWS2 and can engage more than one target at a time.

Why is that? I think both are much fun for that money. Yes, even with MiG's SFM. In fact you can have full quality A-10C but for much more. But what if you want A-10A?

TWS2 is very useless against any skilled pilots, U can NOT control which 2 should be locked and the 2 targets had to be very close in order that U can actually achieve the TWS2, that's very rare in MP consider that R-77 have such short effective range.

Also TWS2 won't give U additional information about the second bandit, and the TWS2 mode will give both enemy lock/launch warning. It don't have any advantage that the AN/APG-63 can give U, plus MiG-29 only carry 4*R-77(2 for ETs), U don't have that much ammo to be wasted.

All concluded that the TWS2 mode is just useless to most situations, don't bother with it.

All concluded that the TWS2 mode is just useless to most situations, don't bother with it.

What about pair of hellos or other mudmovers?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The Mig-29 we have in its current state could be viewed as Su-27's "lesser cousin". Superficially it is very similar, but its lesser capability is in the subtle inferiorities of its systems:

-Only 6 missiles, out of which only 2 slots for ER/ET.

-Will run out of fuel fast when afterburning

-The radar is noticeably weaker ---> high altitude combat with long ranges causes BIG problems.

-The IRST is also weaker -----> radar-off situational awareness is significantly lacking compared to the Su-27 which can get a good picture of nearby airspace even without using its radar. IRST vertical scan just doesn't pick everything up well enough.

-No datalink/MFD (this was stripped in a patch!) This means no top-down radar view once you've locked on something... BIG problems in cranking and snaking maneuvers.

-The Beryoza RWR lights are somehow hard to see in bright daylight (!!!)

The Mig-29S has its strengths but they are few:

-built-in ECM

-you can load R-77 on every slot. Low-altitude duels against F-15s are perhaps safer with these actives since they force the bandit to break off. However, R-77 kill range is quite short, thus it is still outmatched by AIM-120 (especially C model) There is also the TWS2 for R-77 double shots, but you get to use that around 1/100 of engagements :)

-Extremely fast when in clean configuration - running away is not a problem :)

Maneuverability wise it can hold its own, but it's nothing extra special. The flight model is old school (no proper rigid body physics modeling here)

Edited by Stuge

You have to pick and choose your engagements in the MiG-29S. Do I have enough fuel? Do I have enough missiles? Do I have enough wingmen? What are they, how many are there, and what are they carrying? I'd still recommend the jet, though, it's fun, reasonably maneuverable, and can use the R-77 (it has a relatively short range, I know, but launching at high altitude and high speed will increase that). 1x1,500L tank, 2xR-27ER, 2xR-73, and 2xR-77 is a recipe for fun (just be careful not to go against F-15Cs.;)).:)

Another thing I forgot to mention, the lack of a radar display in the cockpit makes you also not know which direction enemies are facing, even if you use TWS and TWS2. You have to hard lock each enemy to see which direction he's heading. So, needless to say that track while scan in the MiG-29 is almost 100% useless.

The waypoint/navigation system works fine

Can you see in the MiG-29 which waypoint you have selected?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

The PFM is supposivly under development. There is no ETA but last I read it’s in progress.

Why doesn’t the dcs mig have datalink like the SU27. Is it outside of its capabilities?

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

What about pair of hellos or other mudmovers?

Blue side mudmover all got agood RWR which will display a "29", clear enough to tell them to get away and won't fly straight towards U in beautiful formation when they get a 29 STT lock warning.

And to the helicopter, with the poor & weak radar , it's quite difficult to find even 1 chopper , not to mention 2 choppers fly low in formation. Most time U will lose the lock halfway and trash the in flight missile.

One important thing is it's weaker radar and missing electronics. It can't detect enemies at the same range as Su-27 or F-15 and can't burn through enemy jamming like Su-27 or F-15 can. It doesn't have a display in the cockpit to show the radar picture, like Su-27 or F-15 has, contacts are only shown on the HUD and sometimes you miss them because they are obstructed by other HUD symbols, even though the radar has detected them.

Also, navigation/waypoint system is unfinished and next to useless. IMO, all the FC3 aircraft are worth and VERY fun to fly, except for the MiG-29 and the A-10A. If you're thinking of buying FC3 just because of these two, then don't. It's the best advice I can give you...

A-10A is very nice,good flight model and its cold war era bird. Perfect to 80’s and early 90s time missions :)

I have A-10C also but i always take A10A , because cold war is my cup or Tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10A is very nice,good flight model and its cold war era bird. Perfect to 80’s and early 90s time missions :)

I have A-10C also but i always take A10A , because cold war is my cup or Tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they fix the CBU-97 falling short of the aimimg point already?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Hi

Although I am not a fan for FC3 aircrafts, during the sales I get the temptetion to buy it. Mostly because Mig29 tempts me.

Also, I already own the SU27, is SU33 different with weapons/performance?

Thank you

Since you already have the Su-27, you already own the major reason I bought FC3. :)

The other one is the F-15C, which is an awesome fighter, and the FC3 version has a very convincing flight model, just like the Su-27. There's also the Su-33, which is carrier-capable and is also very well-done (although, being more of a thoroughbred, the Su-27 has better flight performance.)

I don't use the A-10A or Su-25A very much. As for the MiG-29, it still has a generic flight model (SFM) and flies like a.. well, a plane in a video game. ;) If that's why you want FC3, then I'd wait it out until ED develops and releases a PFM for it. It looks really cool, it has a superb external 3D model and a pretty nice cockpit, but the outdated flight model makes it feel cheap and 'gamey' :).

I'm sure it'll be great when there's a PFM for the MiG-29, until then, I don't fly it much just for that reason.

What I'd do if I were you is just wait for the F-15C and/or Su-33 to go on sale really cheap, and buy those two. It'll cost very little bread compared to buying FC3 at full price :)

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

The Su-25A is great plane - Good FM, nice plane to fly, and seen plenty of combat in real life with a completely different philosophy to US aircraft...

There are many appreciation threads for that aircraft on the forum...

Cheers.