Ka-50 Unguided Rockets Firing Possible Bug! - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #31
Schmidtfire

There is no recoil pushing the nose down IRL. Video of Ka-50 shooting 80mm rockets:

At around 3:50 mark you can see that Ka-50 shoots multiple rockets in flight.
Solid as a rock.
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #32
Isegrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire View Post
There is no recoil pushing the nose down IRL. Video of Ka-50 shooting 80mm rockets:

At around 3:50 mark you can see that Ka-50 shoots multiple rockets in flight.
Solid as a rock.
Are you serious? I think there could be people out there saying that the recoil counter Autotrim works perfectly on this one...

The KA 50 has this system and the fact that it has this system is enough proof to me that there is actually recoil.

But..... Is the recoil of the Rockets simulated in DCS. So that the Helicopter over compensates because it's missing?

ISE

New DCS World KA-50 Blackshark and SU-25 Sound?

Bitte immer neue Wattestäbchen benutzen. Nicht nachschieben!
Isegrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #33
Schmidtfire

Ok, I don't really know of that system. Only the ballistics adjustment knob behind the seat.

But here is another example. Different helicopter yes, but less advanced. Weight is in the ballpark with Ka-50. Solid as a rock with both 23mm and 80mm rockets.

The reason Im a bit sceptical to the current behaviour is that we have had this discussion before on the P-51 and F-86 modules. There used to be a lot of recoil shooting rockets. But after long discussion on forums about physics, old videos and even the question asked to Chuck Yeager (!) himself, it was later changed to what we have now.

I might be wrong about this, but I have not yet seen 1 IRL video where fighter or helicopter suffer recoil when shooting from rocketpods.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #34
Weta43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire
but I have not yet seen 1 IRL video where fighter or helicopter suffer recoil when shooting from rocketpods
I posted a couple of RL videos of just that on the previous page.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #35
David OC

Just thinking out-loud here.
Rockets are fired from pods (No Back on pods / pressure on craft) and drive themselves away, so very little recoil if any. Where a large gun would generate more pressure on the aircraft.

Edit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No Back Pressure .jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	222780  

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Last edited by David OC; 12-11-2019 at 12:41 PM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #36
Schmidtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
I posted a couple of RL videos of just that on the previous page.
Looks pretty solid to me Maybe a little bit of pilot induced movement, but hard to tell at distance with handheld cam. If possible try find videos with camera mounted inside or outside of helicopter.

Also, how would these rockets create recoil? It blows straight through the pod. Only thing I can think of is changing weight distribution or rocket exhaust-gasses...
Old 12-11-2019, 11:09 PM   #37
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire View Post
Also, how would these rockets create recoil? It blows straight through the pod. Only thing I can think of is changing weight distribution or rocket exhaust-gasses...
Expanding exhaust gasses traveling backwards at a significant speed. They are NOT distributed one-dimensionaly (straight back), but expand and "grabbing hold of" the walls of the tube. When the rocket end leaves the tube the entire pod becomes a wall the gasses pushes on.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 AM   #38
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton181 View Post
Expanding exhaust gasses traveling backwards at a significant speed. They are NOT distributed one-dimensionaly (straight back), but expand and "grabbing hold of" the walls of the tube. When the rocket end leaves the tube the entire pod becomes a wall the gasses pushes on.
You think there would be enough pressure here to move (Recoil) 5+ tons of moving helicopter with a small rocket.
I don't see it myself.

2.75 Ton OH-58

Right hand side rocket fire only

0:25

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Last edited by David OC; 12-12-2019 at 06:44 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #39
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
You think there would be enough pressure here to move (Recoil) 5+ tons of moving helicopter with a small rocket.
The mas of the helicopter doesn't have much relevance actually. It is basikaly hanging loose on a "frictionless" cushion of air and making it yaw doesn't require much force (without various stab systems doing their thing, also consider the KA-50 being coaxial without the need of anti-torque tail rotor). Let's say you are hovering 1m above the ground, the yaw (heading) AP turned off, a single guy on the ground could push on the tail (or one pylon) and it would turn accordingly (not a comfortable place to be standing, in the worst downwash, but that's another question). The leverage you get from the relative position on which the force is applied does also have a pronounced effect.
Lethal accidents have happened where helicopters are about to pick up personnel while in a hover, and a person entering the helicopter have done it unannounced and ruthlessly (putting the entire body weight on the step instantly). This makes the helicopter (weighing some tons) tilt to the side because the pilot wasn't prepared and couldn't counter the sudden tilt. A different movement but working by the same principles.
About the OH-58, for what I know it has pretty fancy stabilization systems on board and I would guess it has some functionality to counter yaw due to rocket recoil (just guessing).
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote